Where in Salt Lake?- Mtbr.com
    JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Where in Salt Lake?

My wife and I are moving to Salt Lake in the spring, and are looking for advice.

We would like to be as close as possible to good ATB and road riding, but also would like to be near good coffee shops, book stores and general quirky-ness. We are both against living in the mini-mall suburbs, and we don't have a family so smaller houses are okay. Cable internet is a must for work.

I lived in Logan for a few years, so I have a basic understanding of Utah, more or less. But I haven't spent too much time exploring SLC... so I defer to you experts. If you could live anywhere in SLC, where would you live?

Thanks in advance,

JMH

mtbr member
    Your quick bio screams Avenues or maybe the mouth of Millcreek Canyon.
    Lots of good rides road/mt, good bagel/coffee shops and close to restraunts and shopping.

If you have to live in No. Utah try that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Avenues, Sugarhouse, Millcreek, Holladay.

I live in Holladay. Within 40 minutes I have Park City (gobs of singletrack), Bonneville Shoreline*, Mueller Park, Mormon Trail, Glenwild Loop, Round Valley, Pipeline, Dog Lake/Big Water, Stansbury Mountains*, Quarry Trail, Wasatch Crest, Solitude trails, Mid-mountain, Corner Canyon*, Lambert Park*, 5-mile pass*. Those trails with * are usually ridable most of the winter. I'm sure there's a few I missed.

I'm not much into the coffee shop thing so I can't help you there.

Good luck!

Bored Carp

Can you ride to the trails from there?

Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    Avenues, Sugarhouse, Millcreek, Holladay.

I live in Holladay. Within 40 minutes...

Good luck!
    I don't mind asphalt for 30-45 minutes to get there but it would be nice to just roll out the door. We do that now here in LA - a 45 minute road ride puts us in the Santa Monica mtns. We can do some great 4-5 hour rides...

Is it possible to do this in Salt Lake?

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes. Those areas listed range from 15 - 40 minutes in car from my home. you can access several of the areas with a 30 minute road ride.

mtbr member

JMH, you're lovin' it!

As someone who recently left SLC I am very jealous. You need to be in the Avenues or East Bench neighborhoods. Great access to rides, close to several great LBS', great coffee shops, great restaruants, near downtown and great old homes. That is the area I lived in, rode in and spent 99% of my time in, ski time notwithstanding! It's the most diverse part of the city as well - w/o a doubt! That's where you should be looking; Avenues and East Bench-

Enjoy the Wasatch!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Thanks for the feedback!

These answers confirm what I suspected... and some checking of the housing market looks like we might finally afford a house in a year or two.

I am excited to move back to Utah after 10 years away.

JMH

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    These answers confirm what I suspected... and some checking of the housing market looks like we might finally afford a house in a year or two.

I am excited to move back to Utah after 10 years away.

JMH
    Welcome back to SLC. I just moved back from Atlanta. We live on Yalecrest Ave which is about 10th South at 18th East. Some really cool houses for both sale and rent are around 15th and 15th. There is a Starbucks, Einsteins, and a couple excellent neighborhood restaurants. It is not a far ride to Emmigration and the surrounding trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The wifey and I are in the same boat as the origional poster and have the same needs. However, just how much tension is there between Mormons and the others? We have nothing against anyone/group unless they seem to be against everyone else.

Jan 2006
    Interesting topic. I think there exists some tension but I find in our neighborhood that it is relatively diverse and people seem to get along just fine. Unfortunately, anytime you have 40 - 50% of the population made up of one religion it is hard to escape some tension. I recently moved from Georgia and there was some tension between the Southern Baptists and other religions. I lived in NY and the same existed with the Jews. I have found that if you are friendly and treat people with respect that those differences make little to no difference. People here are friendly. I don't find it to be as "warm" of an atmosphere as the South, but I think people tend to be unusually friendly down there. Of course this is just my experience and I am sure others have different opinions.
    Hope your move works out and that you enjoy all of the wonderful resources Utah has to offer.

Best of luck!

JT

mtbr member

Squash it if you can...

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001
    The wifey and I are in the same boat as the origional poster and have the same needs. However, just how much tension is there between Mormons and the others? We have nothing against anyone/group unless they seem to be against everyone else.
    ...Put it this way. I am Mormon and my wife isn't! That's not very common in Utah but I would say that of my closest circle of friends the majority are not Mormon, even if I am. There are a lot of jokes that go around and I have to say that I like it that way. I think when my non-Mormon friends see that they can joke with me about Mormon related issues they realize that I'm just a normal guy like them. And what's better is I can come back to them with jokes about their backgrounds and it's all good in the end. Anyway, what I mean is to just squash it. The coolest people in Utah are the ones that can get along with the other 'side', regardless of which side they are on. That's not to say that there won't be some bonehead that ruins it for everyone but that is true whereever you are IMHO. Utah is an incredible place to live

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Smile

Like my brother says, "There are as many blockheads here as there are anywhere else." If you're looking for fun in the outdoors, Utah is the place to be. Just remember, you get back what you send out (generally speaking), so if you are enthusiastic, tolerant, respectful, and enjoy the eccentricities of others, odds are you'll have a great time here. If you are a chip on the shoulder, damn the world sort of person, odds are anywhere you go there will be a lot of tension and people that irritate you.

For the record, I'm Mormon. My best riding partner, my brother, is too. Most of the other people I ride with aren't. Have fun with life, respect others and laugh at each others quirks. Most things in life just are not serious enough to get grumpy about.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks

Man, those are some encouraging replies. On one hand we certainly would not make a major move based on the comments of a small group of people on the internet. On the other hand that group (cyclists) are our core of friends wherever we go. And you guys are totally right, the extremes of any group are unsavory.

My wife is a sustainable architect. The sustainable initiatives in SLC have truly impressed us both. I am a registered dietitian (food Nazi) and it seems SLC people are very proactive about health. She will be transfering within her company but I will be job hunting. I am sure it'll work out nicely. We look to make a move the beggining of next year.

Hey, it's Friday, shouldn't you guys be NOT drinking some 3.2 beers? Just kidding!

Peace,
    Crockpot

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001
    Man, those are some encouraging replies. On one hand we certainly would not make a major move based on the comments of a small group of people on the internet. On the other hand that group (cyclists) are our core of friends wherever we go. And you guys are totally right, the extremes of any group are unsavory.

My wife is a sustainable architect. The sustainable initiatives in SLC have truly impressed us both. I am a registered dietitian (food Nazi) and it seems SLC people are very proactive about health. She will be transfering within her company but I will be job hunting. I am sure it'll work out nicely. We look to make a move the beggining of next year.

Hey, it's Friday, shouldn't you guys be NOT drinking some 3.2 beers? Just kidding!

Peace,
    Crockpot
    Where will you be moving from?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    St. Louis. Yeah, it's a awash in cultural acceptance [list]
    We are looking for the following
    • Long road climbs
    • dry air
    • less mold and oak pollen
    • great skiing
    • more BMX racing for both of us
    • Better sustainability efforts

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

My experiences in Utah..

I have found this to be the case. I went to school in Logan for several years. While the majority of my friends were non-Mormon, this was primarily because I tended to party a lot more than the average USU undergrad and most of my Mormon friends didn't drink much. But some of my BEST friends in Utah, and the ones I have kept in touch with, do happen to be a bit more Mormon than the people I ran with in college. They are just tolerant, open-minded folks and we always got along famously, regardless of our beliefs.

Obviously, as the OP, I am very excited to move back this spring. Still not Mormon, but missing Utah nonetheless.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    Like my brother says, "There are as many blockheads here as there are anywhere else." If you're looking for fun in the outdoors, Utah is the place to be. Just remember, you get back what you send out (generally speaking), so if you are enthusiastic, tolerant, respectful, and enjoy the eccentricities of others, odds are you'll have a great time here. If you are a chip on the shoulder, damn the world sort of person, odds are anywhere you go there will be a lot of tension and people that irritate you.

For the record, I'm Mormon. My best riding partner, my brother, is too. Most of the other people I ride with aren't. Have fun with life, respect others and laugh at each others quirks. Most things in life just are not serious enough to get grumpy about.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm stoked to see this post! My wife and I are planning a move to Utah, too. We are still about a year off (I am finishing up grad school & she is in the nursing program), but we are already counting the days.
    I plan to come out for a road trip in August to get a feel for the place. Our priorities are: Close to rides, close to nice park for our little girl, and a decent school system (though not necessarily in that order). We lived in San Diego for a while and were spoiled by being able to ride out the door, stop for a good coffee, BS at the LBS, and pedal on into miles of good singletrack.
    I fly into San Diego in August, where me and a buddy will head that way. We plan to hit a couple of bomber runs near San Bernadino, then on to gooseberry Messa, and then on up to the SLC, Wasatche area. I can't wait, it's going to be a blast.
    If any of you Utah heathens have any reccomendations on where we need to ride, get a beer, and generally hang out to get a feel for the place I'd appreciate the scoop. Oh, and we need to find some campgrounds with just enough water to brush our teeth and wash every couple of days.
    Thanks!

mtbr member

Here's your list:

Quote Originally Posted by ChipV
    I'm stoked to see this post! My wife and I are planning a move to Utah, too. We are still about a year off (I am finishing up grad school & she is in the nursing program), but we are already counting the days.
    I plan to come out for a road trip in August to get a feel for the place. Our priorities are: Close to rides, close to nice park for our little girl, and a decent school system (though not necessarily in that order). We lived in San Diego for a while and were spoiled by being able to ride out the door, stop for a good coffee, BS at the LBS, and pedal on into miles of good singletrack.
    I fly into San Diego in August, where me and a buddy will head that way. We plan to hit a couple of bomber runs near San Bernadino, then on to gooseberry Messa, and then on up to the SLC, Wasatche area. I can't wait, it's going to be a blast.
    If any of you Utah heathens have any reccomendations on where we need to ride, get a beer, and generally hang out to get a feel for the place I'd appreciate the scoop. Oh, and we need to find some campgrounds with just enough water to brush our teeth and wash every couple of days.
    Thanks!
    Bike shops:
    Contender - unbelievable roadie selection, very high end and full of committed riders. Go-Ride, more of an online operation but very cool MTB scene - the two best shops in Salt Lake City, period.

Hangouts:

9th and 9th area, 15th and 15th area. You'll get the number thing when you get there. Sugarhouse, and dare I say downtown?

Eats: Pubs: Desert Edge, Red Rock and Squatters (very cool bike on display there!) Also eat at Liberty Heights Market, The Dodo, Rio Grande Cafe and Bajio. A little more 'uptown' - Cafe Molise, Martine. It's probably the most underrated part of SLC, there are many great restaraunts of all sorts that people don't know about-

Living:

Avenues, East Bench and Sugarhouse, end of story.

Camping:

That's a tough one. You have to remember that this is a city. If you don't mind driving about 1/2 hour out of town though you should be able to find plenty. Check out the Wasatch-Cache National Forest web site, it will point you in the right direction.

Riding:

Right from any of the hangout areas you can be up on the Shoreline trail in a matter of minutes. There's a spread out network of 20 + miles of singletrack up there. It's not the best riding that Utah has to offer but it's right there, minutes from downtown. A great place to ride before/after work etc. In August though go check out one of the Wasatch classics - the Crest. It's about 30 minutes from downtown and accessible from any number of points. There are many, many options on the ride. There is too much up there to describe here but check out a guide book or ask at the shops and they'll point you in the right direction. You won't believe what you're in for up there though - it's AMAZING!!!
    Not to be forgotten, all of the Park City stuff and countless other nearby corners that you'll pick up on once entrenched in the scene. Wow, I'm getting really excited just writing about it!

have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Dude, that post just got me so amped for our trip! thanks for all the good info. As for camping, I figured we would be hitting some places in the Wasatche area and rolling into SLC for a day or so just to take a look around- maybe get a hotel room and recharge. I'll definatley make it a point to check the places out you mentioned. Thanks alot!

Members who have read this thread: 0