Where to Ride- Mtbr.com

Thread: Where to Ride

mtbr member
    May 2004

Where to Ride

I'm taking the family on a vacation to Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef and Grand Staircase in late May (25th-June 2) and don't want to miss out on riding. I'll have limited time to ride (2 hrs per day max) and would like some ideas on places to ride that aren't all day epics. We are staying in Springdale, Panguitch and Torrey on the trip. Any recommendations on rides are appreciated.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccune
    I'm taking the family on a vacation to Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef and Grand Staircase in late May (25th-June 2) and don't want to miss out on riding. I'll have limited time to ride (2 hrs per day max) and would like some ideas on places to ride that aren't all day epics. We are staying in Springdale, Panguitch and Torrey on the trip. Any recommendations on rides are appreciated.
    Slickrock swamp/ rockville bench is a short ride away from springdale... happy to draw yah a map at Over The Edge in Hurricane or Freddy at Zion Cycles can help yah.....

as for the other towns not as much help...
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccune
    Slickrock swamp/ rockville bench is a short ride away from springdale... happy to draw yah a map at Over The Edge in Hurricane or Freddy at Zion Cycles can help yah.....
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

I'd rather be biking...
    Definitly ride Rockville bench while in springdale. While staying in Panguitch go and ride Thunder mountain, you could also have your family shuttle you to the top to cut out the uphill bike path section.....Thunder mountain is a must do. Also the virgin river rim trail is an all day Epic but you can ride a couple sections of it to limit it to a few hours and are still sweet. The climb from cascade falls and accross the top of navajo ridge and back down towards the lake and the north fork road and "te-ah" campground is good and I think would be under the two hour limit or "around it" Since it will be freaking hot down in the Valleys you should enjoy this ride up in the aspens up near 9000ft. and will Love the views off toward Zion. Amazing looking down into Zion from the top. Must do! or Go ride Bunker creek from the top of Brian head towards Panguitch lake. Can't recall the time but seems like 2 or 3 hour ride. Awesome descent and could have the family drop you off at the top and hang out near the lake till you get back. Good luck man....Your going to have fun! when traveling between torrey and panguitch, take hwy 12 through escalante....Amazing road with awesome views . Stop and hike calf creek falls Escalante, Worth the stop.

I'd rather be biking...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks to both of you. Even better than I had hoped for, riding places and tour guide information for the family trip part. I'm looking forward to exploring a new part of Utah as Moab and SLC and Park City are regular riding areas this new corner of the state should be fun to explore.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Thunder mtn and Gooseberry.

Devin,

If I were in Springdale, I'd wake up real early (to account for driving time)and ride Gooseberry Mesa. There's a dirt road in Grafton (close to Springdale) that goes up to Gooseberry. It's a really rough road but I've made in my subaru outback. In Panguitch, do not miss Thunder Mtn. It's one of the best rides in the world. I'm saying that from the perspective of riding extensively in California, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Idaho,Montana. If you don't like shuttling I'd ride up the trail for 1.5 hrs and then turn around for a 30 minute downhill. Also, while in Panguitch if you need any bike parts they sell them in one of the drugstores (see my website on my signature below for directions to the drugstore).
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    Definitly ride Rockville bench while in springdale. While staying in Panguitch go and ride Thunder mountain, you could also have your family shuttle you to the top to cut out the uphill bike path section.....Thunder mountain is a must do. .
    Great advice for a guy with a built-in shuttle!
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Members who have read this thread: 0