Where to live with nearby singletrack in Ogden- Mtbr.com
    Village Dirtbag

Where to live with nearby singletrack in Ogden

Hi guys. I'm in the Air Force, and I'm thinking about going to Hill Air Force Base for my next assignment. I wanted to check out real estate prices there, and I was wondering if you guys could recomend me some areas.

Here are my criteria...

The closer to base, the better
    The closer to lots singletrack and riding options, the better. I want to be able to go on decent rides from my front door after work
    The closer to skiing, the better

So, does anybody know of anywhere that comes close to filling those criteria?

I guess I'm just looking for the Utah version of what I have now. That is, 12 minutes from work, 57 miles of trails within a ~5 mile radius, 4 to 10 person riding group with beer drinking afterwords 2 or 3 times per week. Pretty unusual situation for southern CA. Right now the nearest skiing is over four hours away though

Thanks
    [email protected]

The Sentinel

Hmmm...might be tough

I don't live in Ogden, but I do most of my riding and skiing there. The problem with Ogden is that all the good singletrack and skiing is on the east side of the mountains, and Ogden and HAFB are on the west side of the mountains. The only singletrack on the west side near Ogden is the Bonneville Shoreline trail. It's fun and all, but it's pretty easy. There is a doubletrack trail out on Antelope island, but that's an hour bike ride or 20 minute drive away. Most of the singletrack will require a car transfer or braving the ride up Ogden Canyon (no shoulder on the road, lots of RVs and trucks pulling boats...you get the picture). That having been said, there is lots of amazing singletrack just a short drive away. The entire Wasatch front and all of its great trails and skiing are available with a 1 to 1.5 hour drive from Ogden. Good luck with your search. If you end up here, we'll be glad to show you around!
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I live in Ogden

Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    The closer to lots singletrack and riding options, the better. I want to be able to go on decent rides from my front door after work
    Well actually, I live in Pleasant View which is north of Ogden. From my house it's about 20 minutes to Hill Field and have some pretty good riding options from 10 minutes to 30 minutes away. It takes me 25 minutes to Powder Mountain and 40 minutes to Snowbasin for skiing. My favorite ride is Ben Lomond Peak and I start at a fire-road about ten minutes from my house. The fire-road itself is pretty lame but you're on singletrack within a couple of miles and gives you a 4,000 vertical foot climb to the peak itself.

According to the above criteria, I would probably recommend the East Ogden area around Weber State University. That's where I lived in college and housing is more affordable (in most neighborhoods) and puts you even closer to base. From there you have the mentioned Shoreline trail which is pretty lame if you stay on the main path but offers lots of more technical side canyons and is still perfect for an hour training ride after work. On the weekends you can drive the 20 minutes to some longer trails. You're still within 30 minutes of skiing. Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions, I've lived here for the last 10 years and love it.

Don

Village Dirtbag
    Someone recommended the South Webber area. It looks like it is just East of base, and just south of I-84. Looking at mapquest, it looks like that area sort of butts up against the mountains, so that would probably be a likely spot to find trails. Does anybody know anything about the area?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

No trails from the porch in South Weber

Someone recommended the South Webber area. It looks like it is just East of base, and just south of I-84. Looking at mapquest, it looks like that area sort of butts up against the mountains, so that would probably be a likely spot to find trails. Does anybody know anything about the area?
    Nice area, but very windy. You're right at the bottom of Weber canyon and the winds funnel through there pretty heavy. Also, you're in the flight path of the base so you'll have jets overhead (probably used to that). You are right up against the mountains but no trails. You're a ten minute drive from trails.

Oct 2005
    Hi guys. I'm in the Air Force, and I'm thinking about going to Hill Air Force Base for my next assignment. I wanted to check out real estate prices there, and I was wondering if you guys could recomend me some areas.

Here are my criteria...

So, does anybody know of anywhere that comes close to filling those criteria?

I guess I'm just looking for the Utah version of what I have now. That is, 12 minutes from work, 57 miles of trails within a ~5 mile radius, 4 to 10 person riding group with beer drinking afterwords 2 or 3 times per week. Pretty unusual situation for southern CA. Right now the nearest skiing is over four hours away though

Thanks
    [email protected]
    There are a few new trails being cut in the foothills above North Ogden which can be ridden to hook up with the trail system above Weber State University. You must have a fresh shot of Stan's in your tires however since this section is full of thorns and extremely technical and rocky. Nonetheless, from where I live in North Ogden, I can hop on my bike and be on the trail in 10 minutes for a 30 mile out and back on the foothills. Additionally, you can ride up to the top of the North Ogden Pass on a short but steep fire road and decend down the other side on singletrack into Nordic Valley. From there you can do a 15 minute road ride over to the Skyline trailhead which is just east of Pineview resevoir. Skyline goes back up over the mountain and decends back to the top of the Pass. This amounts to a 30 something mile loop depending on where you live which is very fun and challenging and could be made even longer if you climbed up the Ben Lomond Peak trail which also starts at the top of the Pass. I am hoping that someone will find a way to connect the foothills with the Snow Basin trail system which is awesome in the near future. Currently you have to drive about 15 minutes up Ogden Canyon to access Snow Basin.

Village Dirtbag
    Thanks for the advice, guys. So this is a stans/tubeless kind of area, eh? Damn- I just bought a new standard wheel, too!

I just looked at your weather. Brrrr! You have a high of 41 and a low of 18 today! 41 is my low, and our high is 80!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, it's a cold one today - maybe the coldest so far this year. On the bright side, Brighton is supposedly opening on the 17th and Snowbird on the 19th!

As far as riding from your house, most of the cities along the Wasatch Front don't have their greatest riding from your front door. The reason for this is that the Wasatch Front doesn't have typical foothills. Instead, the mountains pretty much go straight up from the valley, and you usually can't just ride up the face of them. So what you end up with is the shoreline trail system along the base of the mountain which is close and decent, and a bunch of sweet trails 10-20 minutes up the canyons. This is pretty much true for SLC, Ogden and Logan. I don't know much about Provo, but I'd guess it's the same. It might not be the perfect setup, but it's the next best thing, in my opinion. Not many other big cities can offer great mountain biking AND world class skiing within a 30 minute drive. Good luck with your move.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Funny to see this thread. My wife and I have targeted Utah as our "destination of choice" as soon as we get through school (we are both in our early 30's, but she is in the nursing program & I am wrapping up my MBA). We haven't settled on a the city yet, but have been looking at Ogden, Park City, Provo, SLC, etc. I keep hearing good things about Ogden, though.
    Riding, snowboarding, backpacking, etc,etc,etc,etc, work. Those are our priorities.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don the Clyde
    Nice area, but very windy. You're right at the bottom of Weber canyon and the winds funnel through there pretty heavy. Also, you're in the flight path of the base so you'll have jets overhead (probably used to that). You are right up against the mountains but no trails. You're a ten minute drive from trails.
    The other funny thing about South Weber is that it is right next to the base, but there is no entrance on that side so even though it is a half mile from the base you have to drive 5+ miles to get there.

I work as a civilian @ Hill.
    This space for rent.

Village Dirtbag
    Chip- we're early 30's/late 20's too. Maybe we'll see you there next year.

So, do any of you locals have a regular riding group scheduled?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Yes, there is a winter

Thanks for the advice, guys. So this is a stans/tubeless kind of area, eh? Damn- I just bought a new standard wheel, too!

I just looked at your weather. Brrrr! You have a high of 41 and a low of 18 today! 41 is my low, and our high is 80!
    I'm from Colorado. I lived in SoCal for 5 years. Never lived in Utah but I visit Moab and SE Utah a lot. Now live in Denver. My point? Since I've always lived with a real winter it was a shock to me to realize that there are places in the contiguous US where there really is no winter and the folks who live there think that's normal. Trust me, @dam, a high of 41 is gonna seem like the banana belt come Jan/Feb. You'll be so happy that it's not, say, 15, that you'll be out riding with a sh!teating grin on your face marvelling at the wonderful weather you're enjoying. Low of 18? Try minus 18 with no wind in the dead of winter. Uh, no riding then, but I'm sure you're gonna be hitting the slopes!

Village Dirtbag
    I've only lived in so-cal for 2.5 years, and it has really made me thin-skinned and spoiled already (+ 80 is unusually high for here at ANY time of the year- we normally top out around 70 I grew up in Portland, and lived in Ohio for three years (which has similar winter weather). I've just become used to this.

Sep 2003

check the east bench in ogden

live in ogden..most of my life..short stint in grand junction and denver, but made my way back. the east bench has some good riding, espically once you get to know your way around. as for riding on the east side of the mtn, lots of great riding. my office is on 2nd and monroe in ogden, and in 15 mins i hit most of those trails. so weber...never, too cold due to the wind, no trails close by. if you look around on the east bench, there are tons of older homes, great older homes. on the north east bench there is a lot of new development, beautiful homes going in espically around the top of 2nd street..north ogden, only problem is you either have to drive all the way acroos town to get to hill, or way out west to the free way.
    belive me, if bonnivelle trail is easy riding..but go try beus if you want a challenging ride, or skyline north, both of which are only a 5 or 10 min drive from the east bench.

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipV
    Funny to see this thread. My wife and I have targeted Utah as our "destination of choice" as soon as we get through school (we are both in our early 30's, but she is in the nursing program & I am wrapping up my MBA). We haven't settled on a the city yet, but have been looking at Ogden, Park City, Provo, SLC, etc. I keep hearing good things about Ogden, though.
    Riding, snowboarding, backpacking, etc,etc,etc,etc, work. Those are our priorities.
    Ogden is just fine, especially with the new trail system around snow basin, however it is no match for Park City. You must choose Park City so long as you can afford it. It is a mountain bikers paradise with trail systems everywhere and all easily accesible from town without the slightest drive. The cool thing is that the trails up there are generally built by volunteer mountain bikers so they designed with bikes in mind. It is also situated above the "inversion" which tends to leave the entire wasatch front (Salt Lake, Ogden, etc....) filled with nasty air pollution in both the summer and winter months. Park City is the best place for both summer and winter sports. You can't go wrong up there.

Good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0