Where is Everyone?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,670

    Where is Everyone?

    I have ridden the Wasatch Crest 3 times this past week. Each time I have seen a grand total of zero bikers on the trail. While I am not complaining about having the trail all to myself, don't you guys know that conditions are prime up there right now? Especially with the road to Big Water closed to cars.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

  2. #2
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    I have ridden the Wasatch Crest 3 times this past week. Each time I have seen a grand total of zero bikers on the trail. While I am not complaining about having the trail all to myself, don't you guys know that conditions are prime up there right now? Especially with the road to Big Water closed to cars.
    There's a big pot of gold up there too along with a gaggle of half naked and willing female models handing out sno cones at the top of Puke Hill.

    That's why I'm staying away and riding the Shoreline with all 400 other people.

  3. #3
    Homer's problem child
    Reputation: Bortis Yelltzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,320
    I've been recovering from this beauty. Hope to get up there Wednesday though.

    B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

  4. #4
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    I've actually never done this before. I'm a bit intimidated being on a single speed. Maybe I'll sack up and do it this week or next.

    What's the best route for a noob? READ: easiest.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    There's a big pot of gold up there too along with a gaggle of half naked and willing female models handing out sno cones at the top of Puke Hill.

    That's why I'm staying away and riding the Shoreline with all 400 other people.
    Why do you think I have been up there so much this past week?!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

  6. #6
    stevelloydphoto.com
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    I have ridden the Wasatch Crest 3 times this past week. Each time I have seen a grand total of zero bikers on the trail. While I am not complaining about having the trail all to myself, don't you guys know that conditions are prime up there right now? Especially with the road to Big Water closed to cars.
    then why haven't you called me. I have done that trail 3 times in the last week and seen nobody as well.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supersize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    180
    I was up there Sunday.

    Also now that it is getting hot, the shoreline is pretty empty. I only saw 2 riders up there last night.

    Oh, I did see something weird, a police helicopter flying along the trail. not sure what they were looking for but they were only about 100 feet off the deck and going along the trail for about ten minutes.

  8. #8
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    I've been recovering from this beauty. Hope to get up there Wednesday though.

    B
    Man, that is a nasty hicky! Did you have the Shop-Vac on full power? You need to shave your neck too. All that hair on there is going to scare away all the models handing out Sno-cones tonight.
    I've been preparing for tonight for the past 5 days and am hoping to last at least 28 seconds to beat my record. I made it to 23 seconds last week as she was a slow undresser. As soon as I caught a nipple shot, it was all over for me.

  9. #9
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I've actually never done this before. I'm a bit intimidated being on a single speed. Maybe I'll sack up and do it this week or next.

    What's the best route for a noob? READ: easiest.
    You're gonna want to ride out to the Bingham Copper Mine gift shop from your house/apartment/parent's basement and buy a copper horse western style bolo tie. Now the tie has nothing to do with the ride, but will be used with your celebration outfit should you pull this ride off.
    By this point your legs should be warmed up and if your Cambelbak is looking a little dry, you may want to swing into the Maverik (they don't have 7-11's out there) and buy a couple bottles of water and a Krispy Kreame donut-simply because they may be going out of business soon and you don't want to miss out.
    Start on the road back to Little Cottonwood Canyon. Yes, Little Cottonwood. IMO Little Cottonwood is much more scenic and if you've made it this far you might as well enjoy the view. Pedal to the top without stopping. If you stop to rest, turn around and start over. Stopping's for pu$$y's anyway.
    Once you reach Alta, the resort, not the town, you can pull over and take a breather. And you'll need it as you'll be heading up that dirt road ahead of you. Head up the dirt road.
    Near the top you'll see a lovely field of mountain flowers. Take in the view as you are about to suffer.
    To your left you'll see a section of single track. Start up that and ride until you can see Brighton Ski Resort. Or B-Right-On for those of us who went to Brighton High. Go Bengals! Whatever.
    Drop down into Brighton and enjoy that sweet descent past the lake. Take the paved road out and turn right up Guardsman's Pass. A few minutes into this section you'll come across an outhouse slayed by all the 'tards on snowmobiles all winter long. You may relieve yourself here but don't touch anything as you'll end up with a nasty rash.
    Continue up the road until you get to a steep, sweeping left hander. At the apex of the turn you'll see a dirt road. Head down that. You'll notice another outhouse to your left. Since your garbage was probably so numb from all that riding prior to your first outhouse visit you probably have a ton of leakage going on in your lycra shorts, so vacate the rest of your bowels here and continue up to the large metal gate. Climb over it.
    A ways up the dirt road, you'll notice a sweet piece of single track to your left. Take that and continue on until you come to a fenced in mine entrance and a trailer. Wake the occupant of the trailer and then call your wife to bail you out of jail.


    Oh killjoy!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by slloyd
    then why haven't you called me. I have done that trail 3 times in the last week and seen nobody as well.
    Hey! Why haven't you called me!?
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

  11. #11
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    You're gonna want to ride out to the Bingham Copper Mine gift shop from your house/apartment/parent's basement and buy a copper horse western style bolo tie. Now the tie has nothing to do with the ride, but will be used with your celebration outfit should you pull this ride off.
    By this point your legs should be warmed up and if your Cambelbak is looking a little dry, you may want to swing into the Maverik (they don't have 7-11's out there) and buy a couple bottles of water and a Krispy Kreame donut-simply because they may be going out of business soon and you don't want to miss out.
    Start on the road back to Little Cottonwood Canyon. Yes, Little Cottonwood. IMO Little Cottonwood is much more scenic and if you've made it this far you might as well enjoy the view. Pedal to the top without stopping. If you stop to rest, turn around and start over. Stopping's for pu$$y's anyway.
    Once you reach Alta, the resort, not the town, you can pull over and take a breather. And you'll need it as you'll be heading up that dirt road ahead of you. Head up the dirt road.
    Near the top you'll see a lovely field of mountain flowers. Take in the view as you are about to suffer.
    To your left you'll see a section of single track. Start up that and ride until you can see Brighton Ski Resort. Or B-Right-On for those of us who went to Brighton High. Go Bengals! Whatever.
    Drop down into Brighton and enjoy that sweet descent past the lake. Take the paved road out and turn right up Guardsman's Pass. A few minutes into this section you'll come across an outhouse slayed by all the 'tards on snowmobiles all winter long. You may relieve yourself here but don't touch anything as you'll end up with a nasty rash.
    Continue up the road until you get to a steep, sweeping left hander. At the apex of the turn you'll see a dirt road. Head down that. You'll notice another outhouse to your left. Since your garbage was probably so numb from all that riding prior to your first outhouse visit you probably have a ton of leakage going on in your lycra shorts, so vacate the rest of your bowels here and continue up to the large metal gate. Climb over it.
    A ways up the dirt road, you'll notice a sweet piece of single track to your left. Take that and continue on until you come to a fenced in mine entrance and a trailer. Wake the occupant of the trailer and then call your wife to bail you out of jail.


    Oh killjoy!
    Riding up the Albion Basin trail is a nice alternate on this route. Some feel it adds too much difficulty and pushes the whole shebang into "intermediate" territory, but I disagree.

  12. #12
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    So lets all meet up early Saturday morning and go? Anyone? Someone else organize where to meet. I'm game, I just have to be at work by 2pm.

  13. #13
    ...a wiggle theres a way
    Reputation: wiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    214
    me and seven others were up there last night riding ran into another 12-15 bikers at 6pm. Tell you what yesterday was awesome with milcreek being closed to cars


    i would for sure be down for another ride, anyone interested looks like silentfoe is in? i'm free monday-wednesday how about you guys/gals


    joe

  14. #14
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Well the solitude pop_martian mentioned wasn't quite there but close last night on the Crest. I was a bit worried as Catherine and I were waiting for Bortis and mr.welcorn to make their way up to meet us at Mill D and there must have been 20 cars full of little pinner bikes flying up the road. Fortunately they were all headed to Solitude for a XC race.

    Besides one group of Larry's huddled at the bottom of Puke Hill we had a clean shot the entire way out until the last 50 yards before the Mill D trail head where we encountered just 2 hikers. Pretty rare to get a ride in like that on the Crest.

    It was the first time myself and Catherine have ever ridden the Wasatch Crest Connector section from the top of Guardsmans. When we would take the time to drive all the way up there rather than the lower, fireroad section, we would climb past the WCC and ride the ridge and then bomb down that nasty, steep, washed out, rutted mess that spits your carcass out at the bottom of Puke Hill. Granted that section was a lot of fun like 5+ years ago but has gotten progressively worse. The WCC was a pretty fun section although a bit tight in some places for those of us with 31inch bars. Yay for berms and mini booters! Hats off to those who cut that trail and those who added berms.

    Anyway, I can't recall if Bortis cleaned PH or not as I was hyperventilating and trying to see straight at the top and didn't have the strength to turn my head around. My single ring up front kicked my arse all over that hill and I had to pause twice on the climb up. Of course Catherine kicked it in the granny gear, cleaned it and didn't stop at the top.

    The trail was pretty buff for the most part. That sweeping right hander in the Aspens up high is getting more and more washed out. Only 4 mechanicals: flat tire and a dropped/sucked chain off my guide by me, crucial broken zip tie with Bortis and Catherine with a busted pedal. Considering how our other rides have gone so far this year I would say: Great success! So far I've suffered a concussion and a broken (new) frame and Bortis a trip to the hospital in Fruita just to name a couple of the numerous jinxed rides we've had so far this year.

    Now myself and mr. welcorn were of the concensus that the Spine seemed a lot more rough last night. Bortis thinks it was because I was on a much plusher bike last season. But it seemed like the high line had changed quite a bit both across the apex and down the backside. Perhaps I was just going slower over it than normal and all those big cracks seemed to swallow the front wheel a bit more or all that rain we've gotten has done a bit of work on all that rock. Whatever it was, I don't think I've been so puckered going over the Spine as I was last night. I also noticed towards the bottom of Mill D that a lot of the top soil was gone and there were more exposed granite shards sticking up.

    Anyway, gonna relesh that ride for sure. Great way to start off the Holiday weekend.

  15. #15
    Chumley for prez!
    Reputation: mr. welcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    445
    1 lap down 25 more to go before I am no longer "Utarded". I think the spine might have felt a little rougher to me because I am running a pinner 2.35 tire (albeit a DH 2 ply casing 2.35) on the back. I seem to be the only person in our group that didn't have a mechanical last night (knock on wood). As SLC mentioned, that WCC trail was really nice. Flowy and fast, I don't even know that I pedaled during the whole thing....far more sustainable and "eco-savvy" than the erosion fest we used to ride down from guardsman.
    That sweeping right hander that was mentioned is in about the same condition as last year. A subtle berm would be cool there, but a small retaining wall would probably do the trick to keep that corner from washing out further.

    So yeah the trail sucks right now....you're probably better off playing wii, drinking beer, and sitting in the air conditioning.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    410
    Amen to puke hill with a chain guide! My fat ass hasn't made it up that thing since I got rid of my granny. . . Hammerschmidt, anyone?

    I'm with ya on the "yay for to berms". Good loking section of trail.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PC_Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    27
    Everyone was out riding mid mountain with me. I rode the spiro - rob's loop yesterday and it was insane how many noobs were out. My favorite was the idiot with the ipod. "'scuze me, may I pass?, ..., hey!, ... HEY, ..., HEY!!!!!". What kind of moron rides one of the most popular trails in Utah on a holiday with an ipod?

  18. #18
    Chumley for prez!
    Reputation: mr. welcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by PC_Vern
    My favorite was the idiot with the ipod. "'scuze me, may I pass?, ..., hey!, ... HEY, ..., HEY!!!!!". What kind of moron rides one of the most popular trails in Utah on a holiday with an ipod?
    The extent of the so-called "noob's" transgression depends largely on his musical preferences. If he was into slayer or Ratt or GNR, etc. then I think he was well within his right. Boyz 2 men....not so much.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PC_Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    27
    Well, judging from the hair and sleeve tats I have to guess Deicide.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.