Where do we set up camp near St. George?- Mtbr.com
    banned

Where do we set up camp near St. George?

Planning a road trip to St. George this week. The group will be arriving Wednesday and Thursday evening. We hope to ride until Sunday afternoon, getting in a few rides west of town and a few rides east of town. I haven't written down all the names of the trails. We will be bringing two campers and are looking for a site to set up. We don't want to stay in an RV campground and we do not need any hook-ups. We are looking for a campground or maybe just a spot near the trails that has a good road to access it. We might even find two different places to set up; one on the west of town and then move the campers over to the east side when we ride Gooseberry and a couple other trails out that way. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Just make sure it has a road that can be navigated with a truck pulling a 5th wheel.

The Prodigal Son

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A few options

1. Sand hollow res.Campground.
    2. Quail Res. campground.
    3. Gunlock Res. campground.
    4. Warner Valley in hurricane has lots of undeveloped camping outside of hurricane on the site of the Cholla Challange intermountain cup race.
    5. AZ strip south of st geroge on river road has places. its actually the same area as warner valley this is just the side closer to St george.
    6. Race course parking lot. Easy to get to and lots of riding fom there. Not very provate and always busy however.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Just camp at Goose and drive to everything else. Take the left fork at the John and I believe the third campsite on the left will accommodate your two vehicles and it puts you right on the edge of the mesa.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Red Cliffs campgroud just off I-15 is nice and has great sites. if you get tired of riding or just want to play around you can go hiking of rock climbing from the camp site. To get there just take the exit at Leeds and follow the frontage road south to the RV park and turn right and go under the freeway and follow the road back there. Some fun narrows style hiking in the canyon as well.

I'd rather be biking...
    -Goose would be in my mind where I would camp at. Great scenery and trails out your front door.

-Red cliffs rec area in leeds is nice also, not right next to trails but 15 minutes could get you into town. Its more a campground then RV place but they have spots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I like red cliffs to

I did not list it because I am not sure you can get a 5th wheel under the freeway bridge. I used to have a full size chevy van for bike trips. (Awesome BTW. Bed lots of space I miss it) and I fit through there but just barely.

Same thing with goose. Sketchy road for a 5th wheel. I guess people do it.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Members who have read this thread: 0