Where to camp in Moab, UT?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tw3nty9er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    175

    Where to camp in Moab, UT?

    Any suggestions? I prefer awesome views and a little privacy w/o having the car too far away? Site #'s preferred. thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by tw3nty9er
    Any suggestions? I prefer awesome views and a little privacy w/o having the car too far away? Site #'s preferred. thanks in advance!
    Sand Flats

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    498
    He said "privacy", very little opportunities for that on Sand Flats, otherwise it is a cool place to camp.
    Unfortunately, the good, pretty, private and relatively-close-to-town sites are pretty much closed now. You're left with camping with the masses in pay sites. Yes, I'm bitter.

  4. #4
    Ride and Smile
    Reputation: axolotl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    736
    Right now you can find all you want in the La Sals except for the 'not too far away' part. But what you are asking for doesn't exist unless you poach

  5. #5
    Talentless Hack
    Reputation: Idiot Boy 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    186
    There is a sticky with recomendations.
    Sierra Club Sucks

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tw3nty9er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    There is a sticky with recomendations.
    sorry, didn't see that thread. i even did a search too

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by tw3nty9er
    sorry, didn't see that thread. i even did a search too
    Let us know where you end up so we will know what to recommend to others in the future. For sure don't go to Sand Flats apparently it's not private enough for you.

    Since you don't mind driving the LaSals would be good. There is a free campground slightly east of the Kokopelli drop off point on the LaSal Loop Road.

    I use to just sleep in the City Market Parking Lot, but it's not very scenic or private.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tw3nty9er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    175
    I guess I didn't realized how HOT it's going to be out there (was planning to go early august). "duh," I know. I'm now starting to consider riding elsewhere - some place cooler. Basically I have three days to kill before I need to be in Telluride. Where would you go/ride that's within 3-5 hrs of telluride? fyi - my gf will be w/ me and she's kind of a noob.

  9. #9
    Come see me after class
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,431
    if the heat index isn't over 100F it's not hot.

    ride moab. i'm there every may (from texas) with my 4x4, and never wihout my MTB.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by tw3nty9er
    I guess I didn't realized how HOT it's going to be out there (was planning to go early august). "duh," I know. I'm now starting to consider riding elsewhere - some place cooler. Basically I have three days to kill before I need to be in Telluride. Where would you go/ride that's within 3-5 hrs of telluride? fyi - my gf will be w/ me and she's kind of a noob.
    Crested Butte or Durango

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tw3nty9er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    175
    steadyflow, any recommendations for epic mountain top rides in either crested butte or durango? If i went i'd want something that looks like the 1st picture here:

    http://www.tripleblaze.com/blog/tag/mountain-biking/

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by tw3nty9er
    steadyflow, any recommendations for epic mountain top rides in either crested butte or durango? If i went i'd want something that looks like the 1st picture here:

    http://www.tripleblaze.com/blog/tag/mountain-biking/
    I think you have over extended your welcome. Time to move onto the more knowlegeable forum. Give us a ride report whenever you complete your trip, so we will know where to go on our next trip to somewhere COOL.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tw3nty9er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    I think you have over extended your welcome. Time to move onto the more knowlegeable forum. Give us a ride report whenever you complete your trip, so we will know where to go on our next trip to somewhere COOL.
    I'm going to ride the 401 crested bute. Thanks, buddy!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by tw3nty9er
    I'm going to ride the 401 crested bute. Thanks, buddy!
    Lots of good stuff in the Butte....401 is one of them.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by tw3nty9er
    steadyflow, any recommendations for epic mountain top rides in either crested butte or durango? If i went i'd want something that looks like the 1st picture here:

    http://www.tripleblaze.com/blog/tag/mountain-biking/

    Just got back from the Butte..Here's my in process ride report


    http://24hrbikeshop.com/Crested_Butte__CO.html

    http://24hrbikeshop.com/Reno_Flag_Bear_Deadmans.html
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    71
    Up The Creek campground is where we always stay. Awesome sites, next to a creek, grass, hot showers, good prices.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.