When is random BLM land a wilderness?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

When is random BLM land a wilderness?

When an environmental group decides it has "wilderness qualities".

Moab Times-Independent - SUWA appeal halts plans for Big Burrito non motorized trail in Sand Flats area

The area in question was considered for management as a Wilderness Study area years ago and it was excluded. Trail Mix in Moab wants to put a trail there.

Oh wait, it has "wilderness characteristics" according to SUWA, so you can't build there.

Just to be clear, the area in question was heavily explored for uranium, and it is in the middle of the Sand Flats Recreation area which includes Porcupine Rim and the Slickrock Trail as well as the heavily used 4x4 trails Fins n' Things and Hell's Revenge. This is not some pristine meadow or untouched desert.

All of you bleeders who think organizations like SUWA are really nice guys who love mountain bikes, but just don't want them in wilderness areas, should take note. This trail was APPROVED by BLM, and now it will be tied up in court for years. This is a new tactic SUWA is adopting. Now that they have locked down just about every area that could actually be wilderness, they are going after areas that clearly do NOT meet wilderness criteria, but they don't want mountain bikes there anyway.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Well we certainly can't allow comon sense to interfere with a decision like this.........
    SUWA has their own agenda and they represent a minority view for our area. We'll just have yo sit back and watch it play out and eventually it will go through.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    The problem with SUWA is that they seem all nice and dandy at all of the festivals and farmers markets that they frequent, but then once they have you on their mailing list, it's nearly impossible to get off it and they can now count you as one of their supporters. I signed one of their petitions when I first moved to utah, thinking "oh yeah, I'd hate to see 4-wheelers tearing up that area" and years later I still get mail from them. While I'm sure that there was a real need for SUWA when they first formed, but like many other well-meaning organization (MADD comes to mind), they eventually exist only for their own sake and push their agendas to an overreaching extreme. They succeed at their original mission and have to continue to expand their goals to further justify their own existence -- they're just not happy with success.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This certainly isn't a new tactic. Because of SUWA, there are "Wilderness Study Areas" that have been locked up for two decades! The "study area" is a means of skirting the law about wilderness designation. Meanwhile, no studying is being done and potential users are locked out because the same rules apply as designated wilderness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    This certainly isn't a new tactic. Because of SUWA, there are "Wilderness Study Areas" that have been locked up for two decades! The "study area" is a means of skirting the law about wilderness designation. Meanwhile, no studying is being done and potential users are locked out because the same rules apply as designated wilderness.

SUWA has taken their tactics to another level. The area in question was REJECTED when considered for inclusion in a WSA. They just don't like mountain bikes, and they have a ton of money and a bunch of lawyers with nothing to do.

mtbr member
    There are pretty strict rules against opting out of emails and spam email these days. If you have asked to be taken off their mailing lists and they have not done so you can file complaints and they could be hit with penalties. Legitimate groups have to be careful about this - it could be a big financial hit if they are nailed for it. Nuisance spammers and scammers are harder to track down than a local group like SUWA so they seldom get caught. I'm not sure who you would file a complaint with but I'm sure a google search would bring it up. If enough people complain and they get hit maybe it would help impair their activities. Aside from that, get your State Assemblyman, Senator or Congressman on board. Political pressure can go a long way in getting attention and action from bureaucrats at agencies like BLM.