What's SLC like?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

What's SLC like?

Pretty broad question, I know.

I've lived in Colorado Springs for 18 years now - an awesome place to be a mountain biker. But an opportunity has come up that might allow me to move to Salt Lake City. I'm curious what the MTB community is like.

-How close are trails and where is the best place to live? I currently live about a 10 minute ride from an awesome city park, and 30-45 minutes from more goodness on the front range. The job would be in Ogden (Hill AFB).
    -How would you characterize the variety of trails there?
    -What is the MTB community like? Are there trail organizations / volunteer days?
    -What about user conflicts? Simmering? Friendly?
    -What is winter like? For the most part, I can ride year-round here. The soil is pretty sandy, so the trails are mostly self-healing. Cold doesn't bother me much, but 4-5 months of snowy trails would force me to start running again...
    -We are blessed with a multitude of great bike shops, especially for a town this size. What about Salt Lake City?
    -I've read about inversions - how often and how does it affect riding?

I think that's all. I appreciate any responses!

Jon
    My YouTube page

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is more trail within riding distance in slc then CS. First you need to decide if you want to live close to Hill or in SLC.

The Best place to live is Park City, Followed by the North east side of salt lake city, then draper/east sandy. Odgen is somewhere on that list I don't know the trails that well up there.

_ trail variety is ok. mostly there are XC trails with big big climbs. There is some more flow/DH oriented riding but its pretty limited.

- MTB community is huge, growing and positive. Good people. There are multiple trail organizations and many volunteer opportunities.

_ user conflicts are minimal. there are areas with rules keeping bikes off on certain days and a few direction specific trails but for the most park people let you by when your going uphill and runners and hikers are very nice.

The winter sucks. Plan on doing basically 0 mountain biking from Nov to March. Its cold yes but additionally the air quality is the equivalent of taking up smoking for a few months each year. I can hear people saying get a fat bike already. Just to recap the winters here suck. I am sure there are worse winters somewhere like Antarctica but its pretty much like being dead for 75% of the year.

-There are bike shops all over. The only thing more prevelant is churches

-The inversion is awful. It effects riding by not making you want to go outside at all, and killing you and your family slowly regardless of if you go outside or not. We get inversion and poor air quality at any time of the year but the air is some of the worst in the nation and very unhealthy from Nov to March
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Perpetual n00b

Re: What's SLC like?

You don't want to do the drive from SLC to Ogden. Just live closer to the base. Plenty of trails to choose from. Bonneville shoreline and the snow basin trails should keep you busy for awhile.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by videopelli View Post

I've lived in Colorado Springs for 18 years now - an awesome place to be a mountain biker.

-What is winter like?

Jon
    My YouTube page
    After 18 years in Colorado, now that you'll be 30 to 45 minutes from multiple world class ski resorts and back country opportunities, it may be time to take up skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    There is more trail within riding distance in slc then CS. First you need to decide if you want to live close to Hill or in SLC.
    I don't agree with this.....Park City yes, SLC no. There is way more riding in the Springs from town then there is in Salt Lake. The riding in the Salt Lake foothills is limited compared to most Front Range locations and especially places like Springs, Golden, Fort Collins.

Coming from the Springs to SLC would be a drop off in ride access and quality especially in the winter. Park City has great riding, but that isn't SLC and as mentioned the inversion sucks.

Edit: just noticed you would be working in Ogden....more access up that way from the city, but as stated winters are longer there on average and summers are hotter than the Front Range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    After 18 years in Colorado, now that you'll be 30 to 45 minutes from multiple world class ski resorts and back country opportunities, it may be time to take up skiing.
    Yeah - 3 hours minimum to ski from the front range, I-70 skier traffic... I think I've been skiing 3 times since I lived here!

mtbr member
    I grew up on the front range of Colorado but now live in SL,UT.

Ogden is very underrated. You have great skiing with far less crowds (Snowbasin, Powder Mountain) than the Park City/Wasatch Front. But even the busiest days at the tourist draws like Snowbird does not compare to I-70 corridor mess in Colorado.

There are some good trails around Ogden and a big push for more stuff like the Ogden Bike Park. More are a short drive to the Logan area and bit further drive up to Pocatello (another underrated biking place)

Throughout the winter, there are windows of good riding in the desert so you can get a winter fix if you take a weekend.

As for living in SL,UT there is a train called the Frontrunner which goes up to Ogden. It's nice. It has wi-fi, bike racks, tables. Right now if you live in SL,UT proper you can get a monthly pass for only $30 that covers all public transit. Otherwise it's a lot more. If you did drive and commute you'd at least be going opposite of the rush hour traffic. Living in North Salt Lake or Bountiful would make a huge difference and be a manageable commute. But the inversion really is atrocious. It comes around in the summer too but it's not as noticeable. Riding the train or living close to work you can do your part in not making it worse.

The easiest to access trails in SL,UT can get busy. Especially during weekends and after work days. But it not too bad. I've never had bad interactions. Some places like Mill Creek Canyon have policies in place to try and mitigate the high use. There's a usage fee and they trade off days where on some trails dogs can be off leash but no bikes and the next dogs have to be on leash and bikes are allowed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you don't mind a 2 hr commute time that you could drive in 45 min Frontrunner could work for you

PM me

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    SLC is a bit of a commute to HAFB (though there are UTA vanpools available). Consider Weber county, especially Ogden. Where is your job opportunity on HAFB? I work at the 75th CES (civil service). I am also on the Ogden Trails committee. Check out our FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/OgdenTrailsNetwork Ogden has some pretty nice trails The fat bike scene in Ogden is growing quick also. Let me know if you have any questions about HAFB or Ogden, Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mountain Green is at the base of Snowbasin and wouldn't be a bad commute to HAFB (better than commuting from SLC). You would avoid the inversions as Mountain Green is above it. If I worked in Ogden or HAFB I would live in Mountain Green or Morgan. I love the trails at Snowbasin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks all - I really appreciate you taking time to reply! If anybody else has thoughts I'd love to hear them!

mtbr member
    The last few years I think I've managed to ride trails every month of the year. The Wasatch Front really doesn't get that much snow, and it melts off fairly quickly. There are lower elevation trails that are periodically snow free. And St. George is only a few hours away, and offers fantastic winter riding -- great for a couple long weekends during Jan. or Feb. when local riding is least likely.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I moved from Fort Collins to SLC about a year ago. Fort Collins isn't C Springs so I don't know your trail access that well. But compare to Fort Collins, the trail access around here sucks something fierce. And as for riding your bike around town and not feeling like you're about to die, forget about it. In my opinion, not at all a bike friendly area.
    Also, forget about beer. Drinking out here is a joke. Real beer is crazy expensive and very limited options.
    And I agree with what people have said about the inversions. No one could have prepared me for how disgusting it is here in the winter. Its ridiculous. I can't even take my dog for a short walk most of the time in the winter.
    The only benefit that I have seen here compared to Colorado front range is skiing access. And that's not skiing quality, just access. Its a nice short drive compared to Colorado. But I'd still say Colorado skiing is better. But that could depend on where you go and how much you know the mountain.

But if you want my opinion, stay in C Springs. Or move to Fort Collins. SL,UT is not all its cracked up to be

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It depends where you live in SLC I live on the east bench and have essentially endless riding options from my front door. 20 Min pedal to 30 miles of trail on the BST, 20 min pedal to the pipeline trail, and 1 hour to pedal to the top of millcreek and access the crest, MMT, and the best of park city. 15 Min drive to access the same trails. There is probably 200 miles of trail I can ride from my house.

I am not familiar with Fort Collins but when I visited CO springs it seemed like the riding was much more limited. I pedaled like 1.5 hours to get from my hotel to a placed called Palmer park ( I think) Was no different then biking through West Valley. No bike lanes lots of people *****ing etc. Palmer park was fair at best. If I lived right next to it I would ride there often but I don't think I will be back.

My other ride was closer to a trail called Capt Jack. It was only like 45 min to bike to the start and the riding was sweet. Still seems like there is about 20% as much riding within biking distance but its possible there is a lot of trail I don't know about

PM me

Moderator Moderator
    -The inversion is awful.
    I can attest to this. Aside from the crappy air, SLC gets way more snow in town than CS and with the inversion, it does not melt off as fast or at all limiting when you can ride. You can ride a road bike in CS 360 days a year for those who don't know.

but its possible there is a lot of trail I don't know about
    Um, yes. There is a lot of trail you don't know about. 250 miles within the city park system itself. Add that to many more miles in county & state parks and USFS within riding distance from downtown.

The skiing is far, far better in SLC than in Front range area ski areas. Summit Co, Vail, Steamboat etc. You'd have to go to Crested Butte, Aspen or Telluride to start getting close. Plus, much of it is close, 30 minutes or so.

Park City or Ogden would be the only worthwhile swaps for me.

Frame Building Moderator
    I'll repeat what others have said: the winter (and increasingly, summer) air quality is awful. There is nothing more depressing than putting on a respirator to ride to the grocery store, or wonder if your 2 year old's month-long cough is because of the smog sitting in the valley. We left after 2 years and went to PC because of it. It's simply not something I'd live with ever again. Other people don't mind as much, so it depends on your personal preferences I suppose.

I would say the riding in Csprings is superior in terms of accessibility and about the same in terms of volume/quality as SLC. And I have lived in both places for significant periods of time, so I'm not just making that up. Csprings has more variety of terrain and more technical XC options. SLC/Park City has more total volume and better access to high elevation/alpine riding, as well as fewer access problems.

Skiing is far superior to CO I'd say, especially if you count nordic skiing, especially if comparing directly to Csprings which is pretty far from any of the resorts.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpramick View Post
    And I agree with what people have said about the inversions. No one could have prepared me for how disgusting it is here in the winter. Its ridiculous. I can't even take my dog for a short walk most of the time in the winter.
    I don't know, I guess I'm one that doesn't worry about it too much. I commute on my bike year round, and there were 8 days this winter that I chose not to ride due to air quality (as measured/reported by the app on my phone). It seems to me that the inversion is typically a few weeks in January. Clearly not an ideal condition, but not a deal breaker. For me, at least.

Comparing SLC to some of the smaller communities isn't really a fair comparison, either. Of course, there are smaller towns like Ft. Collins w/ great riding options which are very livable communities. I was born in the Boulder area and have spent a bunch of time there, riding all over the northern Front Range. The biking is great, to be sure. Just like any number of communities throughout the western US. But those great riding areas are 90 minutes or more from downtown Denver -- I wouldn't want a 90 minute commute or a 90 minute drive time to get to where I could ride.

The 'great' thing about SLC is the fact that it is a million+ population fairly major economic center w/ a strong local economy (which some of us need/want for our careers and/or our spouse's interests) that is so close to great riding/skiing/general outdoor activities. Compared to my experiences living/working in Denver, Portland, or Seattle (or any other comparably sized town), SLC blows them out of the water as far as being able to live and work in the city and having an array of quality of options and ease of access.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just moved to Ogden, UT. I love it man. Ski in the winter, ride the rest of the time, and climb year round. I moved here from Texas (and otherwise lived in WI and IN) so maybe I'm not the best person to take advice from. Or maybe I'm not jaded and I am the best person to take advice from. Who knows?

The Ogden community is great and there are huge opportunities to become a part of it and help build more trails and give the mountains more love. Ogden inversion isn't that bad, but all inversion sucks. Move up here if you don't like traffic and you like a close knit community.

We live a few hours from Uintas, a few hours from Idaho, and of course, we are only 4 hours from Moab / St George area. This place rocks. Don't let the downers bring you down. DH places include Snowbasin (single track), Canyons, Park City, Sundance, and more.

Haters gonna hate. Move to Ogden and buy some skis and climbing gear.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Most (99%?) of my friends are transplants. They came for all the reasons listed above. Air quality is a constant issue that we are all more and more bothered by - especially as people have started having families.

Tystevens ... I hate to bust...especially given that you're bike commuting, and clearly part of the solution...but...No way it was only dangerous for 8 days this winter, might be time to look up from that phone and take a peek around you. A simple "taste" of the air could tell you it was unhealthy. If it looks yellow, you know it can't be good for you.

NBC news ( yeah, i know, liberal media - and I will admit sensationalist )

to the OP, check out that video - we had a solid month of weather with the inversion like that this winter too. Like I said, I know its over sensationalized, but check out the pictures...they will give you a feel for some moderate days ...

for more objective data, dig here.

Looking at January 2014 alone, there were 13 days > 35g/m for pm2.5. Note that "moderate" ( yellow ) starts at 12g/m and I would venture that those are pretty bad days ... regardless of the color of the warning. ( i think i counted 22 days in SL country in January alone ) "Red" might not start till 55 ... but if its not healthy for sensitive groups...do you really think its healthy for non-sensitive groups? NO, it just won't kill you on the spot.

move here, but don't pretent we have good air quality.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by ihearttwowheels View Post
    I just moved to Ogden, UT. I love it man. Ski in the winter, ride the rest of the time, and climb year round. I moved here from Texas (and otherwise lived in WI and IN) so maybe I'm not the best person to take advice from. Or maybe I'm not jaded and I am the best person to take advice from. Who knows?

The Ogden community is great and there are huge opportunities to become a part of it and help build more trails and give the mountains more love. Ogden inversion isn't that bad, but all inversion sucks. Move up here if you don't like traffic and you like a close knit community.

We live a few hours from Uintas, a few hours from Idaho, and of course, we are only 4 hours from Moab / St George area. This place rocks. Don't let the downers bring you down. DH places include Snowbasin (single track), Canyons, Park City, Sundance, and more.

Haters gonna hate. Move to Ogden and buy some skis and climbing gear.

Cheers,
    I just moved to Ogden last month and love it. Definitely a workout getting used to the climbing (coming from northern Missouri) but the riding options are awesome...and so far the weather has been phenomenal. Ogden has a wonderful downtown scene, festivals, and found a great church to go to with a pastor who rides (mountain biked with him last Saturday) and the best is a great coffee shop right on the way to work.

Granted, I cannot comment about the air quality debate since I haven't live here long enough.

And 4 hours to Moab, 5 hours to Fruita or St. George...what else could you want in the mountain bike world?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Most (99%?) of my friends are transplants. They came for all the reasons listed above. Air quality is a constant issue that we are all more and more bothered by - especially as people have started having families.

Tystevens ... I hate to bust...especially given that you're bike commuting, and clearly part of the solution...but...No way it was only dangerous for 8 days this winter, might be time to look up from that phone and take a peek around you. A simple "taste" of the air could tell you it was unhealthy. If it looks yellow, you know it can't be good for you.
    Well, given family, work and scheduling constraints, plus the fact that I don't ride the bike when there is snow or ice on the road, I don't ride every day. So I'm only 'part' of the solution. And I'll ride on yellow days, just not red days. So there were 8 days when I 'could' have commuted on the bike but chose not to due to purely air related issues.

Yellow day air may not be ideal, but neither is getting no exercise!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

Your Best Friend
    SLC and the surrounding areas have excellent riding. Give it a chance. Expand your horizons a bit and try something new. Nothing is permanent, if you don't like it, move along.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

on my 3rd wind...
    I moved out here to SLC few years ago for a job after living in CO SPGS for 10+ years. For mtn biker CO SPGS offers much more variety of trails. Here I find most trails just fast and flowy which is not a bad thing but I sure do miss technical riding that front range offers. Also there arent that many long epic rides above 10,000 feet. Wasatch Crest trail can be considered epic if you link it to PCMR but you never really get that "in the middle of no where in the wilderness" feeling.

Forget about riding from Nov thru Feb unless you want to slowly kill your body with bad air. It's down right bad. Really bad. Yes you can go skiing but fact is, for most people, you are only spending 6-16 hrs per week above the inversion which is what's trapping all that bad air. You can get away to Moab or StG during weekend but all you are doing is fleeing away to get some bike fix and clean air. If you are like me when I lived in CO where I bike 3-4 per week in the winter to stay in bike shape it is just plainly going to suck.

Summer is much hotter and winter is colder. From May to Sept this area almost gets no rain. Winter you rarely see sun unless you live high enough above the inversion. Season pass price for resorts are much higher here but you dont spend as much money on fuel for driving to get there so it could be a wash. BTW city lays down a lots of salt during winter so expect your vehicles to get rusty very quick.

If you have Mon-Fri work schedule, you will enjoy local Sunday riding as you will find many empty trails. Sat expect huge crowds everywhere.

You will enjoy quick few hour get away weekend trip to FU, StG, and Moab. No more 6-8hr road trip.

Day light is much longer here during summer. It's light out to almost 10PM during early summer. So you can go out biking much later after work than you are used to.

If you are outdoorsy type you will love the fact that backcountry.com warehouse/store is in right in town. I love these guys.

If you do end up coming out this way look me up. I would be happy to show you around to former Coloradoan.
    sth

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Beware... the Northern Wasatch is filled with topless chicks roaming the hills. Instagram

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Ogden - the first six months!

So after a little bit of hiring drama, I finally moved to Ogden in late January. First impressions are positive. When I originally posted, I didn't realize how far Odgen is from SLC - it's almost like Colorado Springs to Denver. I bought a house in North Ogden, and I'm 5 minutes from the N. Ogden trail head. I looked as far south as Kaysville. I bought in N. Ogden mostly for location and newer construction. I do think I'm closer to the mountains for less money than Colorado. As for the trails, there's a lot of sustained climbing here. I haven't been out as much as I'd like, but I have ridden the BST from a little north of One Horse Canyon (I think that's the name) to a little south of Waterfall Canyon (not all at once, but in chunks!). To actually get to BST is a grind - really steep in most places. I think BST in North Ogden in generally more technical than BST south of 12th. I'm really itching to finish the new portion north of One Horse Canyon toward N. Ogden Canyon. My favorite section so far is Rainbow south. Once you climb up to the BST, It's go a nice little flow. I also like N. Ogden trailhead south toward 12th. I'm a little put off by the snakes. If you want to see a grown man stop mid-trail and scream like a little girl, put a rattler in the middle of trail! My favorite shops so far are Skyline and Bingham. My work schedule has messed with trail building opportunities, but I hope to get out on the next trail day. Lots of friendly folks, and the occasional oblivious hiker with earbuds in. Mostly like the Springs but different. I guess I'll learn to live with the inversion. There was one the first week I got here, but it hasn't seemed too awful. It was tough to leave Colorado, but I think overall it was the right move - professionally and personally. I'll quit typing and go ride!

mtbr member
    in case you haven't checked out this site, i would. it's my go-to ride bible as i'm still somewhat new to MTBing myself.

Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page

CTB
    mtbr member
    Wow, this thread really didn't read like I expected. You make where I live, Detroit, sound better than SLC, and I know that isn't the case by a long shot. We STILL can't ride in this hellhole because our endless winter turned into endless rain. But very interesting to hear the local feedback on SLC. I'm always looking for potential new places to live (and planning next year's MTB trip), with SLC being on that list. I hope the OP keeps updating with his thoughts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Wow, this thread really didn't read like I expected. You make where I live, Detroit, sound better than SLC, and I know that isn't the case by a long shot. We STILL can't ride in this hellhole because our endless winter turned into endless rain. But very interesting to hear the local feedback on SLC. I'm always looking for potential new places to live (and planning next year's MTB trip), with SLC being on that list. I hope the OP keeps updating with his thoughts.
    I grew up in Michigan, and I just moved to SLC from Ann Arbor, and I won't miss the place at all. The riding in Michigan is terrible, and the weather is terrible.

If you love riding, leave as soon as you can. The complaints about SLC aren't inaccurate, but they start to become a little hyperbolic. It's not Shangri-La, but it's not hell on either either. There are good years and bad years for the inversion, and good and bad years for snow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I grew up in Michigan too. Grand Rapids. I've been out here for 8 years now though. This place is horrible. There's no trails, no snow, no mountains, too much crowding, the people are rude, it's way expensive, and there's lots of crime! Anyone reading this: I would move to California or Colorado!

If anyone finds themselves in Michigan; if you want to get to heaven, it's north of the bridge. I've ridden all over the country in a lot of destination places and Marquette/Copper Harbor are world class! The riding in southern Michigan is good enough to pacify only the die-hards.

One more thing to note. There's an advocacy group in SLC that is making a big push with little resistance for new trails in City Creek Canyon, behind the capitol, up above dry creek, and on the valley floor where all the golf courses that are shutting down are.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikehorn View Post
    I grew up in Michigan too. Grand Rapids. I've been out here for 8 years now though. This place is horrible. There's no trails, no snow, no mountains, too much crowding, the people are rude, it's way expensive, and there's lots of crime! Anyone reading this: I would move to California or Colorado!
    Yes, exactly. Don't forget the poor air quality: inversion in the winter and ozone in the summer. Also, depending on your political tendencies it can be tough fit too. Finally, don't forget the endless strip malls and suburban sprawl.

Other options: Bend, Portland, Leavenworth, Norcal, Santa Cruz, Downieville, Jackson WY, Tahoe, Whistler, Vancouver, Squamish....

mtbr member
    Yes, exactly. Don't forget the poor air quality: inversion in the winter and ozone in the summer. Also, depending on your political tendencies it can be tough fit too. Finally, don't forget the endless strip malls and suburban sprawl.

Other options: Bend, Portland, Leavenworth, Norcal, Santa Cruz, Downieville, Jackson WY, Tahoe, Whistler, Vancouver, Squamish....
    Those are all great options if you're a ski bum.

But if you have a career, living in a major city can be a requirement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Living in park city might check more boxes if you want to live in a mountain town with less air polution and be able to ride trails out your back door or whatever. Kinda speedy to buy a house up there tho.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just reading through here as I may have a job in West Valley available to me within a few weeks.

I am in Dallas/Fort Worth, Tx. We have 20-30 trails within an hour and a half in any direction here, mostly 3-15 mile, not real technical but some fun features on a few trails.

Is the air in SLC worse than here? Hot (as eff), Humid (as eff), population (census can't cover but 60%...and growing). Is the air that bad? Not to mention the views here.... I can see... the horizon of nothing?

Just wondering, I may have a salary offer for same, if not a tad more in West Valley City, and I have researched and found Utah to be a bit cheaper. Am I off? Should I shun the idea or accept? Would my lady friend of many years be able to find work in the ballet/dance teaching area?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by clbaumer View Post
    Just reading through here as I may have a job in West Valley available to me within a few weeks.

I am in Dallas/Fort Worth, Tx. We have 20-30 trails within an hour and a half in any direction here, mostly 3-15 mile, not real technical but some fun features on a few trails.

Is the air in SLC worse than here? Hot (as eff), Humid (as eff), population (census can't cover but 60%...and growing). Is the air that bad? Not to mention the views here.... I can see... the horizon of nothing?

Just wondering, I may have a salary offer for same, if not a tad more in West Valley City, and I have researched and found Utah to be a bit cheaper. Am I off? Should I shun the idea or accept? Would my lady friend of many years be able to find work in the ballet/dance teaching area?
    Wasatch Front air quality worst in nation | fox13now.com

West Valley City crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout (Less safe than 94% of US cities)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So West Valley City is the crime capital of the U.S?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So West Valley City is the crime capital of the U.S?
    No, just because you work in West Valley does not mean you need to live there. West Valley is not a place I would live, but I would have no problem working there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Sounds prime for you to come out and visit for a long weekend and scout the area. The bad air is only an issue in the coldest 2-3 mos of Winter. I also agree with West Valley, work there is fine, don't live there though.

There is no comparison in the # of MTB trails.

Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

this is just Park City. The only thing really missing here is super tech AM/DH.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    there is a lot of dh and tech its just that its not advertised...most of the riders in SLC are LLDR'S so most of the trails you hear about are buff singletrack and the majority of the new trails getting built are your typical LLDR singletrack.

But, but, there is plenty of tech steeps to satisfy, It would however be nice to see more of a focus on the steep/tech trail building rather then another WOW or Mid Mountain trail. Yes its nice to have more trail rather then none but IMO it would be sweet to get a few more steep "feature" pc trails built.

anyways Ive ridden a lot of places and SLC, UT. is one of the best!!

Utah is a funny place...they think they have bad areas but mostly thats because they've never lived outside of Utah ...try living in Chicago, makes the west valley look like yuppieville.

mtbr member
    West Valley was not a bad place when I lived there from 2000-11. Not sure what it is like now, but I was only gone from the area a little over 3 years. It is like anywhere else, there are certain areas in WVC you don't want to move to.

That being said I like where I am living in Cottonwood Heights due to being closer to the mountains for riding and hiking. I am sure there are bad areas here as well, but like where I am. Cheaper living on the west side of the valley versus east side. I have noticed that just in watching fuel cost alone.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    This right here is night and day. In Dallas you have 20-30 trails in 90 minutes. In SLC you have, as a guess, 200-300 trails within 90 minutes. I don't know the actual # but it's a heckuvalot! And you'll learn to love (or tolerate) climbing, LOL.

And with a meager 4-5hr drive you have some stuff that people come from all over the World to ride! Moab, Fruita, St. George/Hurricane, etc. So many options, and vastly different eco-zones! Variety is the spice of life.....

Perpetual n00b
    Why are we trying to convince people to move here? The Wasatch Front is overpopulated as it is...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    and trails plenty crowded too. move to colorado - weed is legal there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    and trails plenty crowded too. move to colorado - weed is legal there!
    The only reason why Utah is cool is because of the people who are not from Utah. I kid. Kinda.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikehorn View Post
    I see what you're doing there. Nice try.

I'm moving from Denver to SLC in August. See, what happened was, we were having a great little party in Denver, and everyone found out about it. Guess what? Immabout to crash yours. Sorry. Blame California, Texas, Iowa, Michigan, etc.

I'm in the market for a new bike. My house sold for 25K ABOVE an insane asking price (thanks California, Texas, Iowa, Michigan, etc). I have a 26 FS setup. Should I make decisions on wheel types any differently based on UT trail types, or just buy something like I was going to continue riding CO trails? If I was going to get a 27.5 FS anyway, should I change that based on trail differences in UT?

Frame Building Moderator
    UT trails = CO trails. Unless you are talking Moab, in which case you may want something totally different. Most of the stuff around SLC/PC is XC, and basically any bike will be loads of fun. Run what ya brung and look at a new bike once you've figured out what your favorite trails are like.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Why are we trying to convince people to move here? The Wasatch Front is overpopulated as it is...
    Fairly certain the aim of most people posting in this thread is to deter people interested in moving here...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    To follow up. I mentioned in my last post I was looking to ride the North Ogden portion of the Bonneville Shoreline trail north to Coldwater Canyon. I finally did it - it's all climb and I'm a terrible climber. The new portion of the trail seems to have been finished this spring. It doesn't see a lot of traffic.

I put together a short video on the ride (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM2gaFeyqGw).

It has occurred to me rides in Ogden are measured in time, while rides in Colorado Springs are measured in miles. I could ride 13 miles in the Springs in about 1:45. Here, the longest ride I typically get in is about 10 miles, but it takes about 1:45. So it's harder here, or I'm older, fatter and more out of shape. Pick two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by videopelli View Post
    To follow up. I mentioned in my last post I was looking to ride the North Ogden portion of the Bonneville Shoreline trail north to Coldwater Canyon. I finally did it - it's all climb and I'm a terrible climber. The new portion of the trail seems to have been finished this spring. It doesn't see a lot of traffic.

I put together a short video on the ride (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM2gaFeyqGw).

It has occurred to me rides in Ogden are measured in time, while rides in Colorado Springs are measured in miles. I could ride 13 miles in the Springs in about 1:45. Here, the longest ride I typically get in is about 10 miles, but it takes about 1:45. So it's harder here, or I'm older, fatter and more out of shape. Pick two.
    Here you climb, then climb some more, then a bit more, then you burn out your brake pads going down. I'm not a fan of that type of riding. I like riding in southern Utah much better. I'd rather do 30 miles there than 10 here.

My last ride. Over 5 miles up then a not-all-that-great downhill.

What's SLC like?-screenshot-2015-08-03-21-40-50.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Try the snow basin race loop from green pond th or sardine peak trail from the main lodge for a couple nice rides with not too much climbing.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by PiousInquisitor View Post
    Here you climb, then climb some more, then a bit more, then you burn out your brake pads going down. I'm not a fan of that type of riding. I like riding in southern Utah much better. I'd rather do 30 miles there than 10 here.

My last ride. Over 5 miles up then a not-all-that-great downhill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-08-03 21:40:50.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	1006340
    Right. Northern Utah should always be distinguished from southern Utah when discussing what riding in Utah is like.

In northern Utah the following thoughts go through my head on the trail:

"This trail sure was nice for that one week after all the mud and before all the dust and braking bumps."
    "This is my life now. Doomed to climb a 10% grade for eternity."
    "I'm definitely not bringing the wife here."
    "This gravel wasn't 6 inches deep last week..." (If you've ridden the Lewis Peak BST after a heavy rain event you know what I'm talking about)
    "As soon as I let off these brakes someone's precious off-leash dog is gonna magically appear right in front of me I just know it." (Continue riding brakes cautiously)
    "Oh ****! Brake fade!"
    "I could swear it flattens out up here..."

Southern Utah trail thoughts:

"Where is everybody?"
    "Wow, you can see forever!"
    "I can't believe how awesome this trail is!"
    "I'm gonna finish riding this trail, eat, then come back and ride it again!"
    "The wife would totally love this trail!"
    "Don't forget to sign the log book so these folks get that funding!"
    "I don't wanna go home."

Fall/winter can't come soon enough.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wutangdan View Post
    I see what you're doing there. Nice try.

I'm moving from Denver to SLC in August. See, what happened was, we were having a great little party in Denver, and everyone found out about it. Guess what? Immabout to crash yours. Sorry. Blame California, Texas, Iowa, Michigan, etc.

I'm in the market for a new bike. My house sold for 25K ABOVE an insane asking price (thanks California, Texas, Iowa, Michigan, etc). I have a 26 FS setup. Should I make decisions on wheel types any differently based on UT trail types, or just buy something like I was going to continue riding CO trails? If I was going to get a 27.5 FS anyway, should I change that based on trail differences in UT?
    Yep, we made that call about 3 years ago and it sounds like Denver has just gotten more crowded. 27.5 FS is a good call, but I would personally recommend something around 130-140mm with good geometry than 150-160mm. In the Front Range I would be more biased to 150-160 b/c of the rocks and steepness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Well, I've lived in SLC since September (10 months), and I thought it was about time for an update. First of all, I love it here. I was born and raised in the Denver metro area, and absolutely loved living there. At this point though, I definitely prefer SLC. SLC is a smaller, more laid back version of Denver (IMO). And the mountains are closer. I think if I were still young and single, I might suggest Denver over SLC, but I'm really neither of those things now.

There were 3 or 4 multi-day inversion this winter. They suck. It's not even so much the health impact, it's more about the psychological impact. It's cold. You can't see the mountains. It's demoralizing. But, they don't happen super often, and you can get above them if you need to get out.

Park City is cool, but it's way too Breckenridge / Vailish for me. I love Snowbasin though.

Great riding all over. This place is rad.

One last note about the LDS church (Mormons). Thank God they are here. They keep this place just weird and conservative enough to keep it from turning into Boulder.

Also, I ended up getting an Ibis Mojo HD3.

mtbr member
    Well, I've lived in SLC since September (10 months), and I thought it was about time for an update. First of all, I love it here. I was born and raised in the Denver metro area, and absolutely loved living there. At this point though, I definitely prefer SLC. SLC is a smaller, more laid back version of Denver (IMO). And the mountains are closer. I think if I were still young and single, I might suggest Denver over SLC, but I'm really neither of those things now.

There were 3 or 4 multi-day inversion this winter. They suck. It's not even so much the health impact, it's more about the psychological impact. It's cold. You can't see the mountains. It's demoralizing. But, they don't happen super often, and you can get above them if you need to get out.

Park City is cool, but it's way too Breckenridge / Vailish for me. I love Snowbasin though.

Great riding all over. This place is rad.

One last note about the LDS church (Mormons). Thank God they are here. They keep this place just weird and conservative enough to keep it from turning into Boulder.

Also, I ended up getting an Ibis Mojo HD3.
    Thanks for the update man, I may be moving to the Ogden area by the end of the year. The inversion definitely has us concerned since we try to live very healthy and have small children. We are very excited to the active living(biking for me, hiking for her). Keep the updates coming!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

LOL! Couldn't agree more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Great info thread! We're also planning our escape from Colorado Springs summer of '17 and Ogden area is currently our primary interest.

I didn't do it
    TBB, is Ogden a requirement or do you have some flexibility?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Salt Lake used to be cool. I was born and raised here. However, now its just too big and it just doesn't feel the same anymore. It used to be a conservative Mormon town, but, now, when I ride in to work in downtown Salt Lake, I don't even feel like I'm in Utah anymore. Its sort of turned into an bubble of California or Denver within Utah. If you want authentic Utah, try Utah Valley (Provo) instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ^lol^ so basically it's awesome here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Lol, I was thinking the same thing

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    ^lol. Way too many places open on Sunday now.

Frame Building Moderator
    Naked shoulders and knees everywhere, it's a hive of sin and villainy. Stay away!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just let us have our alcohol and we promise we won't harrass you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My dad is visiting. Here is a quote from him: "let's just get a beer and see if want to eat there" Lol, little do you know...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I didn't do it
    Provo!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    haha ...."Authentic" and "Provo" should not be used in the same sentence.

Members who have read this thread: 1