Whats rideable right now....St george, moab, virgin, bootleg???- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    biking is fun
    Reputation: climbingbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,365

    Whats rideable right now....St george, moab, virgin, bootleg???

    so any locals know if any of these places are rideable? i have the itch to ride and there is a foot of snow here in salt lake.

    i would love to hit some DH with my new build but right now anything will do.

  2. #2
    LW Coaching
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    737
    Church Rocks and Paradise are ok in St George. Everything else is mucky. If you come here and ride the trails that are mucky you will damage them. Right now we are getting a lot of trail damage from people who have driven 400 miles to be here so dammit they will ride. It makes me really sad to see our beautiful trails being trashed. Even Prospector Trail had muck on it on Saturday and I saw a group of 6 happy riders tearing it up literally. The bike paths have ice on them here too. I've never seen it stay so unrideable for so long here.

  3. #3
    biking is fun
    Reputation: climbingbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaW
    Church Rocks and Paradise are ok in St George. Everything else is mucky. If you come here and ride the trails that are mucky you will damage them. Right now we are getting a lot of trail damage from people who have driven 400 miles to be here so dammit they will ride. It makes me really sad to see our beautiful trails being trashed. Even Prospector Trail had muck on it on Saturday and I saw a group of 6 happy riders tearing it up literally. The bike paths have ice on them here too. I've never seen it stay so unrideable for so long here.
    well if your going to drive that far you might as well tear it up, i mean its not like you are there the rest of the year to ride it right?

    thats lame, i can't believe people are that selfish.

    i was afraid that it would be bad weather down there still. i start paramedic school jan 4th and wanted to get a good ride in.

    anyone know if bootleg canyon is clear yet?

  4. #4
    More Chasmism
    Reputation: hfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    798
    Moab is in decent shape. Amasa is ridable. Poison Spider is fairly clear. Moab Rim is clear. Chile Trails are clear. Bar-M and Moab Brand Trails are mostly clear. Gold Bar has some snow up top, but Portal is snow-free from the overlook (past the exposed section) down.

    hfly

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    105
    i've gotten out on the bench trail in springdale but usually make sure I'm off the trail by 9:30 am at the latest... It's o.k. when frozen, but usually by the time I'm finished it is soft enough to be irresponsible to be starting out. Absolutely none of the Zion D.H. stuff is dry enough to even think of adventuring on. I hear bootleg is basically fine and getting better with this nice weather here down south

  6. #6
    Waiting for Godot
    Reputation: OilcanRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,054
    i rode part of bst today. pretty hardpack and not too bad..
    Out riding, leave a message

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qtip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515

    Bst

    Which part of the BST? Much foot pack yet? I've got a few buddies who are planning on hitting it tomorrow morning early before the sun softens it up.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    134
    I've rode paradise canyon and pioneer rim in the last couple days and both were basically dry. I drove out to do barrell roll but it looked a little wet still so I didn't try it. Stuff seems to be drying out fast though. I'm heading out to church rock tommorrow morning. I have always done the prospector trail with it, should I stay off it for now or is it dry enough.

  9. #9
    Waiting for Godot
    Reputation: OilcanRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,054
    i rode emigration passed red butte and back that day. it was all mashed down by hikers. some of the downhill was slippery, but rideable.
    Out riding, leave a message

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36
    Please, be mindful & respect our designated and protected mountain bike trails.... and remember to report all trail vandalism to the St. George Field Office (435) 688-3200, 345 East Riverside Drive, St. George, Utah 84790.

  11. #11
    I think we should go back
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    583
    I was planning on riding up to Bonneville shoreline trail where you turn left onto wasatch from little cottonwood canyon rd. You enter at I think Hidden Valley park?? Willow park? Something like that... and you ride up the steep rocky hill and turn right. That is where I plan on riding... So I hear from this thread it is not too bad? Is it like hard packed snow or most of the snow melted or ice or mud or what?

  12. #12
    I think we should go back
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    583
    bump

  13. #13
    Waiting for Godot
    Reputation: OilcanRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,054
    now maybe because i am still new to the area, but i didn't know that the bonneville shore trail extended to wastch and little cottonwood canyon?

    i mapquested the parks but got nothing in the area.
    Out riding, leave a message

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    437

    Gooseberry?

    Does anyone know if gooseberry is rideable or even if the road up is passable?

  15. #15
    LW Coaching
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    737

    Bear Claw

    Bear Claw in St George is in great riding shape today. It is soft and tacky but you don't pick up any muck on your knobbies. I just got back from riding it.

    During the wet time it was mauled. Mauled beyond even how I imagined it could be. Folks dragged their bikes along it leaving both ruts and hoof marks on the trail and occasionally going off trail ploughing their dumb a**es thru the desert to find a better way.

    The trail surface looks like someone took a mixer to it in places. Right now it is tacky enough that riding it will help flatten down all the ruts and foot prints. If it dries in the state it is in now it will be worse than last year and that was bumpy enough not to be very fun. Bear Claw used to be a really fun buff swoopy trail before it became popular.

  16. #16
    I think we should go back
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    583
    Yeah if you go up little cottonwood (not into the canyon at all) until you get to wasatch blvd and on the left it goes downhill to lackye restraunt. You want to turn right and go until you see a mormon church on the left. (the mormon churche on the right is the signal that the churche on the left of the road is coming up basically) right after the mormon church you see willow or hidden valley park. you go into the parking lot to the small paved road and go up that about 20-30 feet to the sign that says boneville shoreline trail that points to the left up a steep rocky hill. Last time I went there, The double track steep rocky hill was gated off and you turn right on an uphill switchback. Now I am not sure if that turn to the right on the more narrow trail (single track) is the better one or the steep uphill rocky double track is the one. I think the single tracks all branch off that one wide trail. I am not sure though.

  17. #17
    NOT Team Sanchez
    Reputation: wasea04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaW
    Bear Claw in St George is in great riding shape today. It is soft and tacky but you don't pick up any muck on your knobbies. I just got back from riding it.

    During the wet time it was mauled. Mauled beyond even how I imagined it could be. Folks dragged their bikes along it leaving both ruts and hoof marks on the trail and occasionally going off trail ploughing their dumb a**es thru the desert to find a better way.

    The trail surface looks like someone took a mixer to it in places. Right now it is tacky enough that riding it will help flatten down all the ruts and foot prints. If it dries in the state it is in now it will be worse than last year and that was bumpy enough not to be very fun. Bear Claw used to be a really fun buff swoopy trail before it became popular.

    ditto that.........I also have a huge beef with fools who think SINGLEtrack is for their FOUR wheelers!? Seriously! four wheelers, and dirt bikes have ruined most of the original GV racecourse, and their sight is now set on the barrels........We need to post a sign or something asking them to stay off the singletrack..........If I personally run into somebody on the actual bike trails it's going to be ugly
    I like bikes.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    214

    Moto's are people too.

    I ride both.
    May I suggest when and if you post signs, that you get with people to find alternitives (motorcycle shops/groups). Working together is the only way were are going to keep the right people in the right places. Rather then saying keep out you effing idiot, suggest other trails close buy, that have the same view, fun, etc. I know there are other trails around barrol roll and the race coarse that are more fun for moto's. People are just inherently lazy so if they see a trail they ride it. Then a fight breaks out about who owns what and who pays more tax dollars, etc. But if they see a educated non-confrontational suggestion for diffrent user groups then they are more likely to ride it, there are other ways to get to the top of both of those trails and if you have a motor their are ways that are more fun and longer with the same views.
    The same also needs to be done for gun owners in both of those areas.
    Who's in?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by gnriden
    I ride both.
    May I suggest when and if you post signs, that you get with people to find alternitives (motorcycle shops/groups). Working together is the only way were are going to keep the right people in the right places. Rather then saying keep out you effing idiot, suggest other trails close buy, that have the same view, fun, etc. I know there are other trails around barrol roll and the race coarse that are more fun for moto's. People are just inherently lazy so if they see a trail they ride it. Then a fight breaks out about who owns what and who pays more tax dollars, etc. But if they see a educated non-confrontational suggestion for diffrent user groups then they are more likely to ride it, there are other ways to get to the top of both of those trails and if you have a motor their are ways that are more fun and longer with the same views.
    The same also needs to be done for gun owners in both of those areas.
    Who's in?
    Dude, that's a great idea! But for those of us who don't ride motos/atvs, why don't you post up here alternative trail suggestions we can send people to when we see them riding on the racecourse/bearclaw poppy/zen/barrel roll/little creek SINGLETRACK.

    The same goes for gun owners. There must be better/safer places to shoot that aren't littered with trails than the green valley area. thanks!

  20. #20
    NOT Team Sanchez
    Reputation: wasea04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,972
    Gnriden, of course you're right, I was just venting. I think a sign with other options for motorized vehicles would be great. It's just sad to see once narrow singletrack become ten foot wide wastelands.......motorcycles are better than the four wheelers for certain.
    I like bikes.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    105
    you can get to the goose in the mornings before it thaws but DO NOT LINGER after the sun comes up.... I've been coming off the mesa on the rockville side by 10:30 at the latest and this morning the flat in the middle of crybaby-hill was real close to ugly on my return. Like the green valley loop mess, the damage done to the road when it was wet is bordering on inconceivable but there are good drive lines to hit while it is still frosty. I havent tried to pedal out there i've just been hikin on the mesa.
    I know church rocks and the Zen trail down in st. george are in great shape. I cannot explain the damage done on green valley. Even more, cant figure out why anyone would want to drag their bikes in that slop for any length of time... let alone be stubborn enough to bludgeon their way out and back in that mess. How could it have ever been that fun to do that much lasting damage... and most of what I saw on 1/3/09 WAS done by cyclists not the motorized sorts. The best way I could finally word the mess when I could finally get my head around it was.........

    "It looked like a scout troop of labotomy patients were let out of the phsyc-ward, handed three wheeled trikes with 2.5 tires and sent out in the muck for some "survivor-esque" Olympic games" .....

    and even that doesn't come close to describing it

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    143
    Sorry to hear about the mangled conditions of Green Valley (I'm assuming the reference to Green Valley is referring to the Bear Claw poppy trail?). I'm planning on coming down to St. G the end of Jan. and Feb. to ride and hope that the trail is in better condition by then, otherwise I may have to stick to the road

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.