What's ridable around SLC?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

What's ridable around SLC?

What's ridable around SLC? BST behind the U and Aves? Corner Cyn? Antelope Island? Stansbury Island? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You can ride the fireroad between the B in Bountiful to farmington canyon. It stays low enough on the mountain you can ride it this time of the year and the soil is a sandy base that it won't stick to your tires even when it's raining. There are a few sections of single track on it as well that make it pretty sweet. The other parts of it are a dirt road but at least it is dirt and it is a pretty good workout as well since some of the climbs are short but somewhat steep.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dry Dirt

Superlight thats great to know I might give that a try this week. Mind sharing a little more info on how to get to the start of this road? All I ever ride in Bville is Muller park.

According to a blog report there is some dry dirt to be had in the cornor canyon area, See www.stupidbike.blogspot.com.

There is a 3 ish mile section of the Jordan river parkway that starts at Redwood Road (2000 ish N>>>) that is dirt and I rode yesterday. Just stay on the east side of the river. If you follow the dirt trail it turns into the Legacy Path.

Nothing in the Aves area or behind the U is really even close.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There are a few ways to get there but this will be the best on an out and back since going all the way back up to the gun range is a pain getting back once you are done.
    - get off on the bountiful 4th north exit
    - go east to 1000 E and turn left
    - go to 9th north turn right and then in less than a block the road has a sharp turn to the north once you turn if you keep going straight you will hit the dirt road in less than a block.
    - This is a good place to park and you start heading north on the dirt road
    - About 1/3-1/2 mile on the right you will see some singletrack break off to the right follow that and stay to the left.
    - About 1/4 mile you will be back on the upper dirt road and go just a short distance and on the left you will see some single track just follow that north.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by utahposer
    What's ridable around SLC? BST behind the U and Aves? Corner Cyn? Antelope Island? Stansbury Island? Thanks.
    All winter I've been riding from Hogle Zoo to the top of the Bobsled trail. It's mostly been packed snow/ice, but right now it's probably muddy. Sun (2/14) I did a short loop from Hoggle to the bottom of Dry Creek and there was a lot of mud sections. By this weekend most of that should be dry, but going up Dry Creek will probably be very wet.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Please don't

Ride wet trails.

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    Ride wet trails.
    Have you ridden the Shoreline Trail from Hogle to Dry Creek? It's a rutted out jeep trail with lots of dog poop and construction vehicles that regularly drive on it. Not exactly prestine singletrack.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

Luddite technophile
    Ride wet trails.
    Hey - normally I would agree with this sentiment. But the zoo to U. section has been ruined at the U end by construction - in a couple years we'll be dodging grade school kids in the parking lot. And at the zoo end, the trail is destined to be covered by the idiotic zoo expansion. So, I say ride it hard and ride it often. Love it while you can, cause it's going away. The only thing that remains is for "This is the place" to figure out how to expand and build those office buildings they want to build on the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Back on the Subject--Corner Cyn

Corner Cyn upper road is good to go up to the top of Ghost Falls trail. Back down the road to BST south and then up Ghost Falls north trail is good to the falls. BST going north from the road is good for a mile or so and then gets snow packed. Any body know what South Mtn BST is like (around the golf course)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I understand its not perfect.

However you did not say from the Zoo to Dry creek you said from the zoo to Bobsled. Also there are several nice singletrack sections in addition to the lower road. Every year during the Shoreline trail maintance meeting there is mention of sections that need repair due to Bikers using them when wet. Its yet to be seen if the shoreline will survive behind the U. So far every construction project has been required to reroute the trail during construction so it could stay open, as well as provide a permanent trail reroute if needed. So I disagree that the trail is going away. I think it will change with the expansions, but I think it has the support of the community as well as the Shoreline trails comittee, and lots of hours of volunteer labor going for it. I do agree that you are not doing much damage to the Jeep road, but people who read this thread are inclined to go see for themselves are not likely to stick to the jeep road.
    I don't mean to be a jerk, but I do believe the trail has a long future and is damaged by people riding it wet every year. Ride it when its dry or Frozen.

PM me

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Every year during the Shoreline trail maintance meeting .
    When is this meeting and how do I get involved in volunteering? Would love to put back some of the value that I get out of that trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Here is the Email from the Commitee

Come and join the Bonneville Shoreline Trail Committee (BSTC) as we plan for 2010 maintenance on the Salt Lake City section of the BST. The BSTC has committed to provide 1,000 volunteer hours in 2010.

We need help planning and coordinating the spring trail work in April and May and a big event on National Trails Day. We need people to help find sponsors and coordinate the other volunteer groups that will be involved.

We will be holding our second planning meeting this coming Tuesday, February 23 at 7:00pm. The meeting will be in the large conference room at the Sweet Branch Library at 455 F Street (9th Ave & F St), Salt Lake City. Please RSVP to [email protected] if you can make it.

Dave Roth
    801-824-5339
    --
    Bonneville Shoreline Trail Committee

PM me

mtbr member
    However you did not say from the Zoo to Dry creek you said from the zoo to Bobsled. Also there are several nice singletrack sections in addition to the lower road. Every year during the Shoreline trail maintance meeting there is mention of sections that need repair due to Bikers using them when wet. Its yet to be seen if the shoreline will survive behind the U. So far every construction project has been required to reroute the trail during construction so it could stay open, as well as provide a permanent trail reroute if needed. So I disagree that the trail is going away. I think it will change with the expansions, but I think it has the support of the community as well as the Shoreline trails comittee, and lots of hours of volunteer labor going for it. I do agree that you are not doing much damage to the Jeep road, but people who read this thread are inclined to go see for themselves are not likely to stick to the jeep road.
    I don't mean to be a jerk, but I do believe the trail has a long future and is damaged by people riding it wet every year. Ride it when its dry or Frozen.
    I understand and agree with what you are saying about not riding singletrack trails when muddy, but you did not read my post very clearly. Here's the original post, "All winter I've been riding from Hogle Zoo to the top of the Bobsled trail. It's mostly been packed snow/ice, but right now it's probably muddy. Sun (2/14) I did a short loop from Hoggle to the bottom of Dry Creek and there was a lot of mud sections. By this weekend most of that should be dry, but going up Dry Creek will probably be very wet."

I said all "winter" as in frozen and covered with snow I rode Zoo to Bobsled. Last weekend (2/14) when everything was thawing I only rode Zoo to the bottom of Dry Creek, and then went on to hint that riding up Dry Creek will probably be muddy. As in not suggested.

As for the Zoo to Dry Creek section I sure hope they don't close it. It has to be the most used section of dirt in the whole Salt Lake City area. Bikes do make up a portion of users, but hikers and dog walkers are by far the greatest number of users and they are there year round.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Updates???

Anything ridable out there? Just wondering if anything is drying out?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Actually things have gotten worse

The Snow a couple days back reversed any drying that has happened recently. I think there is more snow forcasted tomorrow so its going to be a few weeks at least until anything on the Northern section of the BST is ready. Not sure how sandy faired in the last storm.

PM me

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Does anyone know if eagle mountain bike park is dry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Eagle mtn bike park

Here's another thread answering your question:
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UM...pic.php?t=7092

mtbr member
    I walked the shoreline trail from Farmington Canyon to Fruit Heights today (Cut my hand and can't ride, grrrr :-( ). Trail is dry except for a few patches you can just ride around. The South side of Farmington Canyon looked wet and somewhat snowed in still.

Members who have read this thread: 0