What's a good guide book for planning a trip in Utah?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What's a good guide book for planning a trip in Utah?

Hello, what would be a good suggestion for a guide book I could use for planning a trip to Utah and then using it to find and ride the trails. I plan on riding Moab, Park City and most probably Bryce, Zion canyon.

Is "Mountain Biking Utah" a good book or should I look at something else? I was thinking about buying a GPS so if the guidebook has some coordinates it would also be nice.

Thanks much.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    Hello, what would be a good suggestion for a guide book I could use for planning a trip to Utah and then using it to find and ride the trails. I plan on riding Moab, Park City and most probably Bryce, Zion canyon.

Is "Mountain Biking Utah" a good book or should I look at something else? I was thinking about buying a GPS so if the guidebook has some coordinates it would also be nice.

Thanks much.
    Not sure on a good book for the whole state but check out www.utahmountainbiking.com. It should have everything you'll need. I'm sure someone will suggest a couple good books for you as well.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, that's where I saw the info for the "Mountain Biking Utah" book. It is a good site, I'm certainly going to try some of their suggestions for "classic rides".

Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Not sure on a good book for the whole state but check out www.utahmountainbiking.com. It should have everything you'll need. I'm sure someone will suggest a couple good books for you as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks much.
    That's the Falcon Guide, by Gregg Bromka, right? That's far and away my favorite.

It doesn't cover Park City very well - I assume PC's trail network is just too new, and it changes regularly. For PC, pick up the current Mountain Trails Foundation map at any shop in town. It's really good.

You know Zion's a National Park, and riding is basically restricted to gravel paths beside the main road, right? There's good riding down there (some listed in the Falcon Guide), but I don't think there's much interesting in Zion proper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK thanks, I'll stop by a bike shop when I get to Park City.

Yes I was talking about the Falcon publishing. So you think I should skip this one? I just selected it because it was basically for all of Utah and I did not want to buy 3-4 different books but if it's not that great then it's wasted money.

For Zion I did not know. It's going to be my first time in Utah so I just have Zion on my list because of comments I read here and there. I'm certainly not interested in gravel paths so I'll keep your comment in mind.

Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by maniloff
    That's the Falcon Guide, by Gregg Bromka, right? That's far and away my favorite.

It doesn't cover Park City very well - I assume PC's trail network is just too new, and it changes regularly. For PC, pick up the current Mountain Trails Foundation map at any shop in town. It's really good.

You know Zion's a National Park, and riding is basically restricted to gravel paths beside the main road, right? There's good riding down there (some listed in the Falcon Guide), but I don't think there's much interesting in Zion proper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    OK thanks, I'll stop by a bike shop when I get to Park City.

Yes I was talking about the Falcon publishing. So you think I should skip this one? I just selected it because it was basically for all of Utah and I did not want to buy 3-4 different books but if it's not that great then it's wasted money.

For Zion I did not know. It's going to be my first time in Utah so I just have Zion on my list because of comments I read here and there. I'm certainly not interested in gravel paths so I'll keep your comment in mind.

Thanks much.
    It's pretty decent for Moab and as a general guide. I think it lists some of the St George area rides, but don't recall for sure. Obviously it doesn't list as many trails as a guide to a specific area.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Another old thread, but I'm also looking for a mountain bike guide book for Southern Utah (other than Moab).

Are there any new guide books out or is Mountain Biking Utah (Falcon) still the one?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not a guide book, but the new trail map for St. George and Spingdale area by www.adventuremaps.net is worth getting. I bought one at Red Rock Bicycles in St. George. Really helpful getting to the trailhead which can sometimes be a challenge for the unfamiliar.

Dan from MA

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Thanks!

I'm sure we'll be hitting a few bike stores in the area so will buy a map there.

Oct 2005

Another one

Since you said you were planning to hit Zion and Bryce, you might be interested in a book with a somewhat different take. Backcountry Press puts out a series of cycling in and around national parks, and has a guide for Utah and Colorado. There are both road and mt. bike rides in it, both in and near the national parks.

The chapter on Zion didn't have a lot I didn't already know about, but there was some interesting stuff near Bryce I hadn't seen covered before.

It's called "Bicycling America's National Parks: Utah and Colorado. Sarah Bennet Alley is the author.

I wouldn't make it your only guidebook to Utah, but it is an intersting supplement if you are going to be spending time in the parks anyway.

The Sentinel

Here's my take

The best Park City book is called Park City's Prime Cuts. It's the most current, and concentrates just on the Park City area. It should be available in Park City at all of the shops (I think I picked mine up at White Pine Touring). None of the other books really concentrate on that area.

There is a dated book (1998, I think) by Greg Bromka that concentrates on the Brian Head area, called Mountain Biking Utah's Brian Head & Bryce Country. It obviously wouldn't have any trails that have been built since then, but still has good info.

Another decent Southern Utah guidebook is in the America by Mountain Bike series; it's called Southern Utah. It's also a little dated (2000), but has a good overview of all the classic rides in the southern end of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Thanks!

I'm sure we'll be hitting a few bike stores in the area so will buy a map there.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell