What Utah town do we live in?- Mtbr.com
    30 something dad

What Utah town do we live in?

Ok, the debate is on. Where should east coast transplants move to? SLC? Do we believe the Ogden hype (listed in Outside and Nat Geo Adv as the best outdoor town in the US)? This is more than just a biking question, this is a all-encompassing question. What is the best town vibe, outdoor access, safe for the family, best bar and best coffee shop town to live in?

May The Force Be With You
    where abouts from the east coast are you from? i'm born and proudly raised Up-State New York till the USAF sent me here to Hill AFB.... i'd rather be in the mountains and away from the loony bin city
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

Takin'er easy
    Salt Lake City is richer and whiter than Ogden. Salt Lake County is also one of the more liberal counties in the U.S. Lots of coffee shops in SLC, and the bars are getting easier to get into. I can't speak for Ogden. Utah is stuck in the 1950's, while Salt Lake City is like 1959.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    While it's come along way in the last few years, Ogden is still a little rough around the edges. Plenty of places there I wouldn't consider walking after dark. On the plus side, housing tends to be a little cheaper and the access to biking/skiing/climbing is every bit as good as SLC.

Coming from the east coast you'd probably be more comfortable in Salt Lake. SLC has more of an urban vibe than Ogden and has a lot more in the way of coffee shops, bars, restaurants, sports, theater etc. The key to living in Salt Lake, is to live IN Salt Lake. Don't get suckered into a big cheap house in the burbs. If you are not from Utah and aren't of the dominate faith the suburbs will be a culture shock.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I'm from Connecticut, and I now live in Ogden. I love it and can't imagine living anywhere else. Yeah Ogden has some rough patches, but no worse than SLC. Most naysayers haven't even been to Ogden. The bar scene scene in SLC is much better, and so is the food; however, if your from New England, you'll be deeply dissappointed with the food anywhere in Utah. SLC is more liberal, but if you want to buy something close to the mountains check out Ogden. I live about a block from the trailhead. Now if you got $, Park City is the place to be.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by truepatriot09
    best bar and best coffee shop town to live in?
    Ha ha ha that's really funny.

Bored Carp
    I breathe a sigh of relief every time SLC is left off of those silly "best city" lists. Dallas? Really Outside Magazine, Dallas?

Ha, I have a really hard time figuring out what Utah some of these people live in. If you want coffee, beer and good food, it is easily available and if you make even the smallest effort, you can find exceptional versions of all three, sometimes in incredibly remote parts of the state. In particular, look for restaurants that focus on local foods - Utah has a very strong farm heritage and the in-season foods are amazing. If most folks are too dense to find those things, that is good, because I don't like having to wait for a table at Pago.

As for "rough", if you are coming from any kind of large urban area (we came from LA), you will find that in most cases what people here mean is "poor" and that you will have to make the call as to whether or not your lifestyle/collection of expensive, obvious sports equipment is appropriate for the neighborhood you select, or if you have anything in common with the people in the community you select as your home. That isn't too hard to do.

If it is of concern, the liberal corridor runs from the Marmalade neighborhood down to the 80 and up to Park City (basically the northeast part of SLC, bounded by the 15,the 80 and the Wasatch, and up to PC). There are some pockets of blue-staters south of the 80, but it is a bit harder to pinpoint.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    What is the best town vibe, outdoor access, safe for the family, best bar and best coffee shop town to live in?
    That's my favorite sentence. I think you just made 50% of the population cringe mentioning family in the same sentence as bar/coffee shop.

I thought I lived the dream, with all the best features you mentioned above by living downtown. Pretty safe for me and my cat-Mr. Whiskers. Good coffee right across the street. Bars within walking distance. Single Smiths right around the corner. Couple of Quick Loans two blocks away. Some shady Russian massage parlor with the windows blacked out with a steady flow of old men in Cadillacs.
    Then I found mr. welcorn sleeping in the bed of my truck on more than one occassion and now my property value has dropped 6% and the city is considering blighting my place, giving me 50% of the original value and erecting another Maverick in it's place. The massage parlor left. Bars are all boarded up. Mr. Whiskers ran away. I wouldn't live here.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    I breathe a sigh of relief every time SLC is left off of those silly "best city" lists. Dallas? Really Outside Magazine, Dallas?

First of all.....Dallas has a B1tchin' bar scene (and a lot of times you can get wasted OUTSIDE!)....so it works.

Second....Mr. Whiskers is with me, I needed to borrow him to take care of a rodent problem:
    http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/zip/1347135080.html

mtbr member
    You definitely don't want to live in Ogden. I work in Ogden and am so grateful everyday to get back to Salt Lake. Ogden looks and feels like it never fully recovered from the great depression.

Let's not kid ourselves here. Park City is the place you want to ride, and if you can afford it, live there, if not live in Salt Lake and drive up the canyon to do your riding.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    Second....Mr. Whiskers is with me, I needed to borrow him to take care of a rodent problem:
    http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/zip/1347135080.html
    You [email protected]!

Ride and Smile
    Ok, the debate is on. Where should east coast transplants move to? SLC? Do we believe the Ogden hype (listed in Outside and Nat Geo Adv as the best outdoor town in the US)? This is more than just a biking question, this is a all-encompassing question. What is the best town vibe, outdoor access, safe for the family, best bar and best coffee shop town to live in?
    Provo for sure. It has everything. Best skiing in state, great climbing, biking. Girls with cookies and awesome family values.

Apr 2007
    I'm from the east coast as well (NC) and have lived in Salt Lake, Provo and work in Ogden. I like Salt Lake the best, due to the diversity (for Utah. Meaning it's not 99.9% white like most of the other cities--it's more like 95%), easy accessibility to the airport, shopping, ski resorts, biking, etc.

I've lived on the east coast, west coast, the plains, and I have to say Utah is by far my favorite. Just a good atmosphere around here and good people.

Sep 2009
    Lived in SLC my whole life.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler5
    Lived in SLC my whole life.
    Hmmmm....Granted, the guy mentioned safe place to raise a family but also poised the question asking about bar life, best coffee shop town, etc.... Seems odd that a 50 year old man who's LDS (per your Utah Roll Call post) and only lived in one place all his life would chime in.

Cheers

Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Hmmmm....Granted, the guy mentioned safe place to raise a family but also poised the question asking about bar life, best coffee shop town, etc.... Seems odd that a 50 year old man who's LDS (per your Utah Roll Call post) and only lived in one place all his life would chime in.

Cheers
    What does it matter to you?

What's more important in choosing a place to live? Good place for family? Best coffee shops? Bar life? Hmmm ... Let's see, safe place to raise a family takes precedent over coffee shops and bar life, right? It should. SLC has a fairly decent balance of all three. By the way, I've traveled from one end of the country to the other a zillion times and have a pretty good idea what other cities are like. SLC is still the best place to be.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    What does it matter to you?

What's more important in choosing a place to live? Good place for family? Best coffee shops? Bar life? Hmmm ... Let's see, safe place to raise a family takes precedent over coffee shops and bar life, right? It should.
    That is only if you assume that I give a f#ck about your narrowminded family/religious values.

Apparently bar life, coffee shops, etc... were important enough to the individual that started the the thread that he felt the need to mention them. I would concur that those factors are extremely important in choosing a city/residence. Obviously, the thought of this is well beyond your comprehension.

Chumley for prez!
    By the way, I've traveled from one end of the country to the other a zillion times and have a pretty good idea what other cities are like. SLC is still the best place to be (in my not so humble opinion).
    there that's better... I fixed it for you.

Wow....A zillion is a lot of times....I am assuming you used one of these:

p.s. SLCRMR....you totally got served, so take that....turd.

Sep 2009
    That is only if you assume that I give a f#ck about your narrowminded family/religious values.

Apparently bar life, coffee shops, etc... were important enough to the individual that started the the thread that he felt the need to mention them. I would concur that those factors are extremely important in choosing a city/residence. Obviously, the thought of this is well beyond your comprehension.
    Bar life and coffee shops are "extremely important" to you. Man, you're living in the wrong state. Sounds like you don't like it here in UT because of all the "narrowminded family/religious values" that so many people have here, so why not leave -- like tomorrow?

Sep 2009
    Listen, I didn't join this forum to get into arguments with people. I gave my opinion to the OP and you flamed me for it. You could have just let it go but you had to take issue. Let the OP decide what he thinks is best and let's go from there.

Sep 2009
    there that's better... I fixed it for you.

Wow....A zillion is a lot of times....I am assuming you used one of these:

p.s. SLCRMR....you totally got served, so take that....turd.

LOL. Yes, I did as a matter of fact. I have a big garage.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Listen, I didn't join this forum to get into arguments with people. I gave my opinion to the OP and you flamed me for it. You could have just let it go but you had to take issue. Let the OP decide what he thinks is best and let's go from there.
    I believe you stated a fact and did not offer an opinion until I chimed in.

Sounds like you don't like it here in UT because of all the "narrowminded family/religious values" that so many people have here, so why not leave -- like tomorrow?
    Last I checked, religious freedom also meant freedom from religion. I'm assuming that you don't believe this and would rather have everyone believe like you do. I'd be willing to be that if this continues that will become more and more apparent.

Again, your response to this Thread shows just how naive you and your beliefs are. The guy still asked about bar/coffee life...which there is, and its popularity is growing here. So keep your head in the sand and let your mind wander off into La La Land. Here's something to contemplate:

Sep 2009
    Your response to this Thread shows just how naive you and your beliefs are.
    Actually, your responses to this thread shows just how immature and dingy you are. I like the picture of the horsey. Did you get it out of one of your picture books?

Sep 2009
    Hey, this is turned into a pretty lame thread and I am partly to blame. I'm not attacking your religion or the possibility you affiliate with no religion at all, so why attack mine?? What did we (Mormons) do to you personally to make you so sour on us? We're harmless folks who just happen to have a different belief system than you do. We respect non-Mormons' beliefs so why can't you respect ours? There's a lot of diversity in our country and the LDS Church just happens to be a part of it like all of the other religions here.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Actually, your responses to this thread shows just how immature and dingy you are. I like the picture of the horsey. Did you get it out of one of your picture books?
    I think I'd be the first one here to admit my immaturity.

Try again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesaregood
    Salt Lake City is richer and whiter than Ogden. Salt Lake County is also one of the more liberal counties in the U.S. Lots of coffee shops in SLC, and the bars are getting easier to get into. I can't speak for Ogden. Utah is stuck in the 1950's, while Salt Lake City is like 1959.

whoa, one of the most liberal in the USA? hard to believe. slc has a lot of transplants and is way more cosmopolitan than the rest of utah. utah is pretty stuck in the past but some of the smaller towns in southern utah have their fair share of non-mormons - think hurricane and moab. southern utah is the prettiest part of the usa. however, if i had to move to utah i would actually move to colorado and commute... live in fruita or grand junction and ride and play throughout all of southern utah and co.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Hey, this is turned into a pretty lame thread and I am partly to blame. I'm not attacking your religion or the possibility you affiliate with no religion at all, so why attack mine?? What did we (Mormons) do to you personally to make you so sour on us? We're harmless folks who just happen to have a different belief system than you do. We respect non-Mormons' beliefs so why can't you respect ours? There's a lot of diversity in our country and the LDS Church just happens to be a part of it like all of the other religions here.
    Debating does not make a lame thread. I believe I was chiming in at the prospect of someone of your (thin) credentials trying to answer a question you were in no way qualified to answer. Had the question been: What is the best family value Utah city where I can shield my eyes from the beer and coffee drinking? Then we wouldn't be having this pleasant discussion.

As far as this latest comment about respecting non-Mormon's beliefs, I believe you just contradicted yourself. Recall:

Sounds like you don't like it here in UT because of all the "narrowminded family/religious values" that so many people have here, so why not leave -- like tomorrow?
    I wouldn't call that mindset 'harmless.' And it answers all of the questions you've just posed.

Kapish?

Didn't think so.

Sorry the visual unicorn metaphor went over your head.

Chumley for prez!
    I believe you stated a fact and did not offer an opinion until I chimed in.
    As much as it pains me to say this.....the man has a point.

I think the OP really wants to move to Colorado given the priorities listed above. Here is a thread about how CO is better than UT:
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8165442AA4oqsK

There are enough crazy comments in this thread to keep SLCRMR busy for quite a while...for example:
    [Utah] has: "lots of historic importance ", "the Utah government is good, the school districts are great, there are many job opportunites"
    In fact, SLCRMR...you would have a much larger audience if you sent your comments over to yahoo answers, just a thought (I know things get boring in the Utah forum).

So, having said all this, can we just turn this into a thread with pictures of unicorns?

Sep 2009
    Debating does not make a lame thread. I believe I was chiming in at the prospect of someone of your (thin) credentials trying to answer a question you were in no way qualified to answer. Had the question been: What is the best family value Utah city where I can shield my eyes from the beer and coffee drinking? Then we wouldn't be having this pleasant discussion.

As far as this latest comment about respecting non-Mormon's beliefs, I believe you just contradicted yourself. Recall:

I wouldn't call that mindset 'harmless.' And it answers all of the questions you've just posed.

Kapish?

Didn't think so.

Sorry the visual unicorn metaphor went over your head.
    LOL! This is hilarious. Is there some way I can reclaim the 40 or so minutes of my life I've wasted on this thread? I'd like it back. I have other things to do now. If we pass on a mountain trail sometime I hope you're more pleasant than this to talk to. Cheers!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    In fact, SLCRMR...you would have a much larger audience if you sent your comments over to yahoo answers, just a thought (I know things get boring in the Utah forum).

So, having said all this, can we just turn this into a thread with pictures of unicorns?
    I thought YOU were my audience? After all, this was all written for your entertainment.

Honestly, I was just starting to get interested in the Thread. What with pictures of the M-Falcon, Unicorns, more unicorns. The pictures help me pay attention and stay focused. You really can't beat that.

One thing you forgot to mention WERE all the unicorns we have in Utah. I think that's a pretty big selling point and why I choose to stay. I think larryonabike's 9/11 ride is going to be Unicorn exclusive come Friday.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    LOL! This is hilarious. Is there some way I can reclaim the 40 or so minutes of my life I've wasted on this thread? I'd like it back. I have other things to do now. If we pass on a mountain trail sometime I hope you're more pleasant than this to talk to. Cheers!
    And yet you kept posting.

Anyway, I'll be the one with the devil horns breathing fire. Just like this guy:

Dammit! Another unicorn. Keep sneaking in here.

Apr 2007
    You guys need to take this to PM's or just meet up in person to duke it out. Quit crapping on this guy's thread with your personal issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Ha, I have a really hard time figuring out what Utah some of these people live in. If you want coffee, beer and good food, it is easily available and if you make even the smallest effort, you can find exceptional versions of all three, sometimes in incredibly remote parts of the state. In particular, look for restaurants that focus on local foods - Utah has a very strong farm heritage and the in-season foods are amazing. If most folks are too dense to find those things, that is good, because I don't like having to wait for a table at Pago.

As for "rough", if you are coming from any kind of large urban area (we came from LA), you will find that in most cases what people here mean is "poor" and that you will have to make the call as to whether or not your lifestyle/collection of expensive, obvious sports equipment is appropriate for the neighborhood you select, or if you have anything in common with the people in the community you select as your home. That isn't too hard to do.

If it is of concern, the liberal corridor runs from the Marmalade neighborhood down to the 80 and up to Park City (basically the northeast part of SLC, bounded by the 15,the 80 and the Wasatch, and up to PC). There are some pockets of blue-staters south of the 80, but it is a bit harder to pinpoint.
    Spot on chuky!
    I've got only one thing to add.......Where will you be working? If you intend to commute from Ogden to Salt lake, or Provo to Salt Lake, your commute will suck!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    You guys need to take this to PM's or just meet up in person to duke it out. Quit crapping on this guy's thread with your personal issues.
    I think you deserve a unicorn.

Way to go. Look you even get a castle too. That's pretty sweet.

Unicorn's make any Thread a Happy Thread.

mtbr member
    Agreed.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    Agreed.
    You my friend do notget a unicorn.

You get Kerry King of Slayer's wife instead:

Put that in your pop martian pipe and smoke it.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

California Uber Alles

Maybe Truepatriot09 should reconsider moving to Utah and keep on going down the I-15 corridor to California: larryonabike's AND Slayer's home state. Seems they know the true meaning of 'Family Values' over there too:

Disgraced California lawmaker denies affairs
    By JULIET WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer Juliet Williams, Associated Press Writer – 31 mins ago
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. – A pro-family values California lawmaker who resigned after being caught on tape boasting about his sexual conquests denied Thursday that he had extramarital affairs, saying "my offense was engaging in inappropriate storytelling."

Mike Duvall stepped down Wednesday after a videotape surfaced in which he was overheard telling a lawmaker about having sex with a lobbyist and another woman, including salacious details about how one mistress wears skimpy underwear and likes to be spanked.

The 54-year-old Republican is married with two adult children.

Seems like this is a recurring theme all over the country with men who wear ties.

Seems like a pretty great state.

You've got your mandatory sinkholes.

And rampant, yearly wildfires.

Massive trail closures to mountain bikers.

It's like a mountain biking paradise.

NOT Team Sanchez
    if you can quit your e-bashing long enough to ride, myself and El Chingon may hit DV this weekend...........figured we could bury the e-hatchet over some cold diet dr.pepper's aka mormon hard stuff right

Let Bortis know he's also invited, I believe we may have forgotten to look him up when we were riding DV last year.
    I like bikes.

30 something dad
    Ok! Great to know I started a thread that devolved into politics and unicorn pictures! Good times!

I'll throw some clarifying points (and hope that we can avoid a religious debate) out there and see if it helps. I summed everything we like in a town in one sentence and after re-reading my original post, I guess it is pretty funny. We're a family, so safety is condsideration number 1, but the morning coffee shop (love the local beanery) is important and on the occasion my wife and I get to have a fermented beverage, we'd like a fun place to have frosty glass of giggle soup. So that's why I added that. I know that Park City is the place we'd like to be, but honestly it's a wee bit spendy, don't you think? Ogden keeps getting attention because of all the things there doing to promote themselves as an outdoor destination (if you read about it, it is pretty impressive) and be a less pretentious Boulder (I used to live in Boulder and that was my biggest issue with that town). One poster referenced that we should probably move to Colorado and that is on the table. Having lived there before we're familiar but we'd probably choose Ft. Collins over the Denver/Boulder area (although we love Golden). But there could be a work opportunity for me in Utah so that's why we were trying to decide what town would suit us best. It's probably SLC, and we're doing an exploratory trip out there later this fall, but figured I'd throw the question out to my mountain biking brethren and see what the locals had to say. And boy you guys didn't disappoint!

I live just outside of Boston now and should probably realize that any of the towns we're talking about are going to be safer than the towns here...that was one thing we loved about Colorado. Even the worst parts of Denver (a big city by interior standards) weren't like the worst parts of an east coast city.

Thanks for the feedback and if you have more keep it coming.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    if you can quit your e-bashing long enough to ride, myself and El Chingon may hit DV this weekend...........figured we could bury the e-hatchet over some cold diet dr.pepper's aka mormon hard stuff right

Let Bortis know he's also invited, I believe we may have forgotten to look him up when we were riding DV last year.
    wasea04, As of yesterday the plans were to avoid Park City/DV-at least on Saturday due to the Marathon going on but the plans were basically just 500 emails going back and forth with no real commitment other than everyone wanted to ride somewhere. I want to say that Bortis has just reinstated his DV ban after a brief field test, but I know he's been jonesing to ride his big bike so I'm not going to speak for him. If you're going to push Bortis into a DH ride, you should hit him up for Bountiful. Next week it's supposed to rain and that place is gold after a good rain storm. I'd be down for Bountiful, but now that I'm void of a DH bike that I can beat on, DV is pretty much out of the question. I have to make that Tracer last through this season and probably through the next.

truepatriot09, I wouldn't get too down on the unicorns and politics here. Yes, unicorns (or dragons if you're Canadian) and politics seem to drive the state, but it's gotten a lot better since I moved here IMO. In Salt Lake proper there are plenty of really decent coffee shops and if you add in all the Starbucks there are more of them than 7-11's. Most of them are open late and are usually filled with UofU students studying or pretending to study. We have two Brewery's downtown and a few more scattered throughout the valley. Both make excellent beer and their food is pretty decent as well.
    Up until a few years ago traffic wasn't too horrible, but with all the freeway construction going on it's kind of a sh!t show. I can walk a few blocks to my office, so that makes life a bit more bearable and I don't feel like an a$$ driving a truck back and forth.
    I'd love to own a place in Park City for the convienence of accessing trails during the summer, but don't think I'd want to live there all the time. It's beautiful and I like the fact that they have laws to keep down giant Wal-Mart and Home Depot signs from blocking the views. However, there are more than a couple executives that I work with who commute from PC to Salt Lake and I continually hear stories about how their kids are all into cocaine, etc.... Must be pretty tough to be a kid up there when your parents give you a new Jeep or Audi to commute back and forth to High School in.
    There was a big push to revamp downtown and it seems to have worked a little, albeit seems a bit stalled at the moment probably due to the economy. A lot of old and run down apartment buildings were gutted and remodeled into condo's. Businesses were given facelifts and there's an effort to rid the notorious drug dealing park of dealers/users.

Edit: Oh joy, Traveler5 threw up a Glock pen!s compensator avatar. As a fan of threads with unicorns, I know that a Springfield fitted with a Storm Lake threaded barrel and a Gemtech Tundra silencer is the stealthiest way to take out someone you don't like.

mtbr member
    reagrding safety: did you know that there are less child abductions now than there were 100 years ago... see http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/about/

my point is that the world is a lot safer than media pretend. having been to boston and its suburbs many times my guess is that the single most dangerous element is the areas drivers.

utah is a beautiful state but it is not a secular state. if you are going to move there you are going to have to accept a great deal of mormon influence - i wouldnt want it so i dont live there (despite being an awesome state for myriad outdoor activities).

theres a lot of other places with great outdoor lifestyles where you wont be surrounded by a cult - think oregon, washington, california, nevada, colorado and az.

regarding my cult comment: much of my family is mormon and my roots trace back to smith being run out of new york and family living in parowan. yes its a cult.

Bored Carp
    We thought we would want to be in Park City, too. It didn't take too much time to figure out that SLC has way more character, walkable neighborhoods and fewer people that reminded me of why we finally left LA. Let me make it easy - you want to live in 9th and 9th, the Avenues, Sugarhouse or near Emigration Market.

Or just buy this house. it has a two car garage. rare in a city filled with 100 year old houses. (oh - that is a thing when looking in SLC, most houses in the interesting neighborhoods are quite old. ours is 103yrs old).

www.utahrealestate.com/904331
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    reagrding safety: did you know that there are less child abductions now than there were 100 years ago... see http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/about/

my point is that the world is a lot safer than media pretend. having been to boston and its suburbs many times my guess is that the single most dangerous element is the areas drivers.

utah is a beautiful state but it is not a secular state. if you are going to move there you are going to have to accept a great deal of mormon influence - i wouldnt want it so i dont live there (despite being an awesome state for myriad outdoor activities).

theres a lot of other places with great outdoor lifestyles where you wont be surrounded by a cult - think oregon, washington, california, nevada, colorado and az.

regarding my cult comment: much of my family is mormon and my roots trace back to smith being run out of new york and family living in parowan. yes its a cult.
    True -- Utah is a beautiful state.

Wrong -- Mormonism is NOT a cult.

There are plenty of folks on this particular forum that are Mormon. Stop bashing our religion. We're not bashing others' religions, so why say that we're a "cult"? You need to be sensitive to others' beliefs and respectful of that. Thanks.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I guess we're all entitled to our opinions . Seems a bit hypocritical that you chastise the guy for voicing his belief by imposing yours as the correct line of thought.

How's that Glock treating you and your beliefs? Usually when others use images in a non-NRA type public forum such as the one used as your avatar it means they feel frightened, intimidated, threatened or scared about something.

Again, by definition you are once again wrong. That's twice in one Thread.

cult  /kʌlt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuhlt]
    –noun
    1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
    3. the object of such devotion.
    4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

Cult may popularly refer to a religous group with relatively few adherents whose beliefs or practices are regarded by others as strange or sinister.

I sure could name a laundry list of strange and sinister religious practices going on in this state.

I predict a Utah Forum Thread closure in the near future. Maybe it's time for another unicorn.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    We thought we would want to be in Park City, too. It didn't take too much time to figure out that SLC has way more character, walkable neighborhoods and fewer people that reminded me of why we finally left LA. Let me make it easy - you want to live in 9th and 9th, the Avenues, Sugarhouse or near Emigration Market.

Or just buy this house. it has a two car garage. rare in a city filled with 100 year old houses. (oh - that is a thing when looking in SLC, most houses in the interesting neighborhoods are quite old. ours is 103yrs old).
    Some friends/co-worker of mine just barely sold their home right across from Westminster College 2 weeks ago and are in the market for something similar in the areas you mentioned. The problem they're running into is that everything is still super over priced and 99% of them are still fixer-upers. They've been looking hard for a little over 3 months now and have all but given up and put all their belongings in storage and moved into an apartment over by Judge. Even though they made a killing on their home as they purchased a decade ago, they're pretty bummed on the market right now.

Add to that, I just received notice of my 2009 property taxes on the place I just purchased near the 9th/9th area and they more than doubled from 2008-no exageration and I'm currently in the process of protesting such a large increase. Seems like things are still a little off in terms of housing here-at least in Salt Lake County.

Bored Carp
    your friends should buy that house I listed. I would buy that house if mine weren't so much better than all other houses.

Anyway, it has been for sale for over a year and the owner knocked over 100 G off the price last week (it is close to our house, so I have kept an eye on it...)

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    your friends should buy that house I listed. I would buy that house if mine weren't so much better than all other houses.

Anyway, it has been for sale for over a year and the owner knocked over 100 G off the price last week (it is close to our house, so I have kept an eye on it...)
    I actually forwarded it to them. I think they used someone from Probe? Realty to sell their house, I'm assuming they're using the same person in their search. They just bought a Sportsmobile so I would assume a garage or a side driveway is mandatory.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I guess we're all entitled to our opinions . Seems a bit hypocritical that you chastise the guy for voicing his belief by imposing yours as the correct line of thought.

How's that Glock treating you and your beliefs? Usually when others use images in a non-NRA type public forum such as the one used as your avatar it means they feel frightened, intimidated, threatened or scared about something.

–noun
    1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
    4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

Cult may popularly refer to a religous group with relatively few adherents whose beliefs or practices are regarded by others as strange or sinister.

I sure could name a laundry list of strange and sinister religious practices going on in this state.

I predict a Utah Forum Thread closure in the near future. Maybe it's time for another unicorn.
    Don't be stupid.

In the sense that scoutcat was talking, it's a huge stretch to call momonism a cult and it really bastadizes the notion of cults. Yes, in the defination you posted which basically says cult is a synonym of religion, mormonism could be considered a cult.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

Apr 2007
    –noun

I'm sure you could list a number of those things in ANY state or country. Most Mormons or any sect would probably react the same way when referred to as a “cult.” That definition you posted is correct (eh, 1-4, anyway), but it definitely does have negative connotations.

As far as Mormonism being “sinister”, I guess that is another subject. I sure don’t see it. There are dark sides to any religious group (or cult? ), but that's due to the people, not the religion itself.

sin•is•ter (s n -st r)
    adj.
    1. Suggesting or threatening evil: a sinister smile.
    2. Presaging trouble; ominous: sinister storm clouds.
    3. Attended by or causing disaster or inauspicious circumstances.
    4. On the left side; left.
    5. Heraldry Situated on or being the side of a shield on the wearer's left and the observer's right.

Oh, and truepatriot, just as slcrocky just demonstrated, you simply MUST hate Mormons to be on the cool part of the populous. Cynicism is a big plus, too.

rider
    Jan 2005
    True -- Utah is a beautiful state.

There are plenty of folks on this particular forum that are Mormon. Stop bashing our religion. We're not bashing others' religions, so why say that we're a "cult"? You need to be sensitive to others' beliefs and respectful of that. Thanks.
    While I do feel that your religion has many cult like aspects, I agree that it is not a cult.

My policy is to openly bash all organized religions as inherently wrong headed. For lots of well documented reasons...

Not an atheist, I try very hard to appreciate the many wonders we are given in this life.
    Last edited by 29erchico; 09-11-2009 at 03:28 PM.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Chumley for prez!
    Oh, and truepatriot, just as slcrocky just demonstrated, you simply MUST hate Mormons to be on the cool part of the populous. Cynicism is a big plus, too.
    Whoaa...whoaa...whoaa! you're not implying that "rocky" is a "cool" part of the populous are you? If so, you just blew my mind. Wait....were you being sarcastic? IT is hard for a pea-brain like me to weed through all the satire and sarcasm in this thread.

FWIW, as chuky mentioned, 9th and 9th is a "cool" part of town.....wish I was cool enough to live there I, for the record, am not being sarcastic when I say that. One question though....do you own a fixie? As far as Park City goes....it is nice, but I don't have enough scrilla' to make that work, plus the commute would drive me insane (particularly in the winter).

Sep 2009

You know, I sense you have a whole lot of insecurity in you. You've got a personality issue that needs to be addressed. I hope you get it worked out soon.

Sep 2009
    truepatriot09, I apologize for my contributions to this thread that have caused it to deviate from your initial intention.

Sep 2009
    Edit: Oh joy, Traveler5 threw up a Glock pen!s compensator avatar. As a fan of threads with unicorns, I know that a Springfield fitted with a Storm Lake threaded barrel and a Gemtech Tundra silencer is the stealthiest way to take out someone you don't like.
    Just noticed this. Is this a threat??

I'm not certain how to take your comment here -- seriously.

Do I need to notify the forum admin. and local officials about a veiled threat of violence against me? Man, you are really strange. I don't know if this is something that can be ignored. Your comment here is disturbing.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Oh joy, the pedophile's here to save the Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruinane
    Don't be stupid.

In the sense that scoutcat was talking, it's a huge stretch to call momonism a cult and it really bastadizes the notion of cults. Yes, in the defination you posted which basically says cult is a synonym of religion, mormonism could be considered a cult.
    The definition was from the dictionary. American Heritage I believe. So the dictionary's wrong now ?

Weren't you the guy defending the practice of pedophilia in Mormomism in another thread? I believe you were. How's that working out for you? Traded out your underage daughter out to another LDS man for his yet? Maybe you should PM Traveler5 and work out a trade.
    I believe you were also the one who said that in so many years Mormon beliefs would hold enough clout that polygamy would be back on the books as accepted and correct.

That sounds like a pretty sweet deal and not very cult like at all. Sign me up .

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Just noticed this. Is this a threat??

I'm not certain how to take your comment here -- seriously.

Do I need to notify the forum admin. and local officials about a veiled threat of violence against me? Man, you are really strange. I don't know if this is something that can be ignored. Your comment here is disturbing.
    Yes. I would definitely notify them. Unlike mr. welcorn's sentiments, the really cool people here are those who are banned.

And I'm the one running around the forums with a Glock firearm avatar .

Weren't you the one who was all bummed about wasting 40 minutes of your life in the Thread and offered appology after appology about being a d!ck?

Yet you keep returning.

Who's the strange one here?

Come to think about it, getting banned sure would free up a lot of my time.

I say go for it.

Sep 2009
    Why is this thread still open?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Why is this thread still open?
    Why don't you shoot it closed with your Glock cowboy?

Like it says below....

Talentless Hack

Dude....

..that house is easily 75K overpriced. Wait 3 months and it'll be less than 300K. Also I'd move to Colorado 'cause Utah sucks, hard.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Dudette

Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    ..that house is easily 75K overpriced. Wait 3 months and it'll be less than 300K. Also I'd move to Colorado 'cause Utah sucks, hard.
    Chuky, The couple I emailed it to pretty much had the same consensus at Idiot Boy 1, although they didn't throw out a figure. They just sold their Westminster college area home at the end of last month which was completely remodeled-for a lot less than this guy is asking. Seems there is this perception on the East Bench that everyone is sitting on a gold mine.

Oh well, I gave it the old college try. Maybe next time. If you have something similar that's a little less shoot me an email and I'll forward it on. Like I said, they just closed and moved into an apartment until they find something they really want. However, they've got time so they're not in a rush to settle.

30 something dad
    You people are all crazy. I'm moving to Colorado.

After all this I think I figured out that SLC would be the town for us, but we found a great school in Ogden, so we'll have to come out and see where we fit in.

I'm not at all worried about Mormons (to each their own) and yes Boston isn't a dangerous place to be by any means, but having lived out west, there's a certain security that I find missing being back on the east coast. I love Boston, will always be a Boston guy...but feel that we are being drawn west by certain weird forces...that's right, I'm talking about a Glock wielding unicorn!

Cheers all...

Sep 2009
    Such negativism in this thread.

mtbr member
    I disagree about this thread being a waste of 40 min. I just blew a bunch of time at work reading this, and I can't get enough. I wish it was longer. Personally I'm don't fight with people over religous views (all you dictionary fans can look up jihad), but it is fun to read.

I respect people's right to believe or disbelieve what they want, and I'm not going to force my opinion on them. Ideally I'd like the same thing in return, but that's rare in Utah. In other states Mormons and non-Mormons are content to believe their own thing and keep it to themselves, but in Utah that's not enough. Both parties here go out of their way to tell the other why they're wrong and how they should be living (Yes I know it's a generalization and not universally true, but it happens A LOT).

Anyway, please continue fighting for my amusement. I don't have anything important to do at work today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Park City or bust.

The weather is better, the air is cleaner. The school is the best - or so they say. The commute is easier with much less traffic than you think. Mormons did not settle this town so less tension. 3.2 beer is more potent at 7000'. Whole Foods coffee beats Starbucks. And Bike trails link the entire community.

Anywhere else and discussions like this thread will haunt your life in Utah. It's an oasis up here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubeck
    I disagree about this thread being a waste of 40 min. I just blew a bunch of time at work reading this, and I can't get enough. I wish it was longer.
    Isn't this the truth?! Better than a sit-com, really.

mtbr member
    Why can't this fight just be over the obvious... Truepatsy is from Boston... RED SOX SUCK!

p.s. If you ski, please move to PC or Ogden. We don't want anyone else at the Bird.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebuilder
    Why can't this fight just be over the obvious... Truepatsy is from Boston... RED SOX SUCK!
    and the Patriots are cheating bastards!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i read some of the previous posts on what you are looking for, I just moved out to ogden from the sanfransico area for college, as far as outdoor stuff its pretty cool i have got great trails a 2 minute ride from my dorm and lots of other good stuff for when winter comes but as far as living here with a family i don't know, there are certain spots up by the college that i most deffinatly would and then others i wouldnt, i went and visited the U of U in slc and loved it there to bad i didnt have the grades or money, but it was a very nice are, alot more of a party scene with nice people though, and it looked to have more of a bar scene and stuff to, i got along alot better with the people there because they weren't shocked and surprised when i accidently cussed but non the less you can find that in ogden to, it all depends of where your at in the towns is what im really trying to get at, either way you will probably love it here i haven't checked out many other towns but any places on the bench of the mountains are pretty cool

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Oh please...My Pats just won their season opener in traditional Brady comeback fasion!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The definition was from the dictionary. American Heritage I believe. So the dictionary's wrong now ?

Weren't you the guy defending the practice of pedophilia in Mormomism in another thread? I believe you were. How's that working out for you? Traded out your underage daughter out to another LDS man for his yet? Maybe you should PM Traveler5 and work out a trade.
    I believe you were also the one who said that in so many years Mormon beliefs would hold enough clout that polygamy would be back on the books as accepted and correct.

That sounds like a pretty sweet deal and not very cult like at all. Sign me up .
    Yet another example of your sucky reading comprehension. Probably why it's taken you so long to graduate from the prestigious LDS Business College (LDS, ironic, I know). (You're free to search and find out what ironic means.)

I never defended pedophilia and I was pointed to current supreme court rulings re: right to privacy not LDS clout when I stated I suspected that polygamy rulings of the past would be overturned.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebuilder
    Boston doesn't suck. NY sucks. Go Sox!

Sep 2009
    By the way, what's wrong with Glocks? They're great handguns.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozer
    By the way, what's wrong with Glocks? They're great handguns.
    I would also say that Glocks are great handguns known for reliability. In fact most guns in the same classes are judged by the "Glock test"; but, since this thread is about arguments rather than agreements... I can't say that.

People can't tell whether their Glocks are cocked and loaded or not. A field strip requires you to drop the striker into what should be an empty chamber. While one should absolutely know the condition of his/her gun... loaded or not, people have made mistakes with their Glocks. Springfield XD's have both a stiker indicator as well as a chamber indicator that you can see and feel.

For many reasons, I like Springfield better than Glock and the Soxs still stink!

...okay, truthfully I don't really care about the Sox and Glocks are fine by me; but, I can agree with anyone who dislikes the New England Patriots. Uhhgg, send them back to old England.

Members who have read this thread: 0