What UST tires are you running?- Mtbr.com
    'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

What UST tires are you running?

I ride mostly XC with a few AM type drops occasionally. I ride the Crest, Dry Creek to Bobsled, Temple Quarry, Dog Lake, North Mountain, Spiro, etc. on a fairly regular basis (2-3 rides/week). I'm contemplating the switch to tubeless, but I would like to know what y'all are running around here.

On my XLT (5 inch front/rear) I've currently got Weirwolf 2.1s on some 32H Mavic 317s. I weight a little over 200lbs with a full camelbak and gear. On my last Crest ride, I got 3 flats, two of which were pinch flats despite running adequately high pressures. I also washed out pretty bad on a corner because I have to run the pressure so high. I'm sick of buying new tubes every ride at $6 each.

Ideally, I'd like to run a 2.3in tubeless. Any recommendations for our terrain? I'm also looking at buying some Mavic 823s. Anyone have experience with them?

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I run 2.4 panaracers ghetto style on 317. the setup works great one kinda of flat put more stans it and it kept goin. I can get away with pressure as low 15 psi with this setup.

UST wheels/tires are really costly and not really needed there is no reason to spend the money.

mtbr member
    There's a lot of info on various options in the "Wheels and Tires" section. Lot's of folks going ghetto, I use Stans on non-UST tires and some folks swear by UST.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Running 2.4 ADvantages setup tubeless on DT 5.1's for my trail bike. The ADvantages have excellent puncture resistance in the tread but the sidewalls are a little soft. You have to keep your pressures up to run them tubeless. I'm about 170-175 ready to ride and run 35 PSI.

823's are very strong, but kind of heavy, rims. I run them on my big bike and the hold up extremely well. I'm running Intense EX Dual compound single ply DH up front and a 909 rear, both size 2.5. They are hooking up well in our local conditions, I was just on Mill D last night trying my hardest to get a flat with no luck.

over researcher
    I run a UST 2.1 Nobby Nic in the rear and a UST 2.25 Nobby Nic up front on Mavic 819 rims. I'm probably right around 165-170 ready to ride and am on a Flux. I'm not sure how accurate the gauge is on my Silca pump, but I'm airing them up to around 30-32 up front and 32-35 in the rear. Because I live 5.5 miles from the Green Pond TH, I primarily ride SnowBasin and the NF trails in the lower elevations below SnowBasin. I'll work my way to the top via Needles (and other side trails) and fly down Porcupine, and these tires simply promote confidence. I've had one puncture in the rear tire (tiny slow leaker) that I patched when I got home, but I still don't use Stan's juice. I guess if I were heading to the desert I'd probably add a scoop per tire, but I just don't want to deal with the mess.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I posted in your other thread, but I since remembered that Kenda offers a UST Nevegal in 2.35 now... should have tougher sidewalls than the regular single-ply DTC version.

JMH

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Conti Mtn King's in 2.4 though I've run the non UST tubeless with no issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm getting closer to 200lb every year and this year it looks like about 175-180 with gear. My trailbike has Mavic 819's with 2.35 High Rollers with about 28 PSI front, 30-32 rear. This size High Roller comes in DH casing (Super-tacky only) and LUST (light) casing. I have only run the LUST and have never had a flat in two years on my trail bikes (knock on wood), though, I pushed the speed a little too much a few weeks back and folded my rim sidewall on a rock - no flat, just a slow leak.

I agree with Err that 823's may be a bit much for a trail/AM bike. I run these on my DH bikes and they perform very well with UST tires. I did blow through 2 intense tires on the back in the past 2 weeks (DH 2 ply 2.5 and DH 2ply 2.35) by ripping the casing, but it seemed sort of freakish as the Intense 2.35 I had on before those lasted almost a year.

Lastly, you can run any tire on a UST rim with a tube or with just Stan's, but if you opt for the latter, there can be some headaches with sealing, slow leaks, burping, etc. I do this on my DH bikes a lot because super-tacky rubber doesn't last me very long at all on the rear and harder compound rubber for DH size/casing from Maxxis/Intense/Kenda only come in non-UST. Ghetto tubeless works pretty damn well, but can be a little bit of work on the setup.

Cool that the Nevagal comes in UST 2.35. The world needs more UST tire selection.(Maxxis are you listening?)

Dave

P.S. You may wish to disregard the above advice as it's been noted on other threads in this forum that since I ride the lift at DV and shuttle the crest, I am not a "serious cyclist" and am "afraid to climb for a few hours". Oh, and I don't exercise - I'm "lazy and fat".

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    P.S. You may wish to disregard the above advice as it's been noted on other threads in this forum that since I ride the lift at DV and shuttle the crest, I am not a "serious cyclist" and am "afraid to climb for a few hours". Oh, and I don't exercise - I'm "lazy and fat".
    Well...you did admit you're getting closer to 200 every year.

mtbr member
    I've been running a Kenda Telonix 2.35 set up ghetto style on my front with DT 5.1's. I really like the way this hooks up in the loose conditions we have here. However, I think the tire is fully capable for all around conditions as I also ran this tire with no problems for 3 days of north shore riding and a couple at Whistler. Ok, it's not the preferred tire for there but I'm lazy and it still managed to hook up well. I burped it once on a steep rock roller on Grafton Mesa, and I put more Stans in it shortly after that and it seems to hold air well. Almost never have to touch it.

On the rear, I tend to switch things around a bit - I've used the Advantages with good luck and will second the 'keep air in them' and 'thin sidewall' comments made earlier. The Advantages also tend to pick up lots of debris and flick it around. I've tried the Intense tires (different from Err, and I don't remember the exact model, but also set up ghetto). I've had Nevegal's on there for a long time as well (with tubes tho), currently I've got a Minion on (with tube) but will switch soon back to tubeless and am not sure what tire I'll try next.

I'd say don't be afraid to experiment, you'll find something you like eventually!

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Thanks everyone for the input. I'm still debating. All this info is great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I disagree with the above poster and would stay away from the Nobby Nic USTs. They are light, and roll great. But I got numerous flats on them riding aggressively downhill even with the PSI north of 30, and I only weigh 140#.

I've since switched to a Barracuda 2.3 UST front and an Albert 2.3 UST back with Stan's on a UST rimset. Haven't had a flat since despite multiple Moab trips and riding all over SLC. It's been my default setup for a while!

Members who have read this thread: 0