What Trails To Ride(SW Utah with Dog)- Mtbr.com
    BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What Trails To Ride(SW Utah with Dog)

well I have a week off at the end of October 22-28. If there is not enough snow to ski in telluride I plan on heading to SW utah for some riding and camping. I have ridden moab area a million times but have never ridden in the western part of the state. I'm looking for 3 or 4 rides to do. I will have my dog with me. She has been riding with me all summer and does well on multiple hour rides. I'm a little worried about long sections of slick rock on her pads(might be OK but not sure) also I want to stay away from trails that have long sections of dirt roads because of traffic. Any suggestions of trails would be great
    Thanks
    BSG

mtbr member
    The Barrel Trail, The Barrel Roll, The Racecourse, The Poppy Trail, Prospector.
    Your welcome

NMBP
    I don't know how fast or how long your dog can run, but the slickrock trails (Goose, Little, Guac and Swamp) are not high speed trails. The trails also zig zag a lot so the dog doesn't always have to follow the trail to stay with you. If there has been recent rain there will also be rock pools with water in them.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

I railed it like Kong
    When you get into town, go to Desert Cyclery. They have a $10 waterproof, tear-resistant map that has all the rides in the area with detailed descriptions and directions. I've seen some free maps at a couple other shops but they are not near as detailed or easy to follow.

Look at Poppy, Paradise, Church Rocks, Stucki Springs, Jem... There are lots of good ones.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    I'd camp on Gooseberry Mesa and ride Goosberry, Little Creek and Rockville Bench (Slickrock Swamp). If your dogs paws aren't callused and trail worthy I'd be worried about extended rides with or without slickrock. Will your dog wear booties?
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 10-08-2007 at 07:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

No Slickrock without Booties!!

Be VERY careful on slickrock trails. Friends of mine took their very trailworthy dog on slickrock (Moab) about 10 years ago - dog came out with slightly bloody paws. It can be extremely tough on them.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trail worthy But

She if definityle trail worthy dog. She gets out as much as anydog. Booties might be a good idea on slick rock. Im not sure she will put up with it but Ill try. I want to put her in booties for the cold winter days on in the Backcountry.
    How long is Gooseberry?? How does it compare to slickrock(Im not a fan of slickrock)
    BSG

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whistlerrider
    Be VERY careful on slickrock trails. Friends of mine took their very trailworthy dog on slickrock (Moab) about 10 years ago - dog came out with slightly bloody paws. It can be extremely tough on them.
    Our dog comes riding with us at Moab on most of the rides we do. However she has to wear doggy shoes or her paws get torn up after only a few miles of rock.

IMG_1796.jpg

mtbr member
    Is there no place online that explains where to get to some of the lesser known trails like Barrell Roll ? Utahmountainbiking.com doesnt have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think UMB is pretty much it for on-line trail directions around here. For barrel roll, you could try this http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/info/new...ara_river.html

Sep 2007
    You might contact Mark at mountainbikebuddies.com for directions or for shuttles on some of the downhilll trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Smart dog?

You also need to judge whether your dog is smart enough to stay away from some of the 'Natural Selection' dropoffs. When my dog was a pup, she tried to peek over the edge of a slickrock dome on Poison Spider in Moab and ended up slipping over the edge. She fell about 25 feet, but luckily she landed in a bush and was just scraped up a bit. Also, it was lucky that the hole she fell into had an escape route.

Maybe my dog is just dumb, but she was also rimrocked on a ledge once. It took quite a while to get her out of that one.

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    We have two trail dogs and for extended ride booties are a must!
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

Members who have read this thread: 0