What Tires for Humdinger- Mtbr.com
    JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

What Tires for Humdinger

Cross Posted in Wheels and Tires Forum!

Okay, so I entered a raffle for a big race in Utah called the Humdinger. It's like the Alpe d' Huez Megavalanche except significantly harder because it's not in France. I probably won't find out if I get to race until sometime in June but I don't want to leave preparation to the last minute. The course is a secret, but will probably be a mixture of short grass, loam, dust, root sections, tall grass, some rock, pavement crossings, berms and bumps, hips, probably a few wood bridges, definitely a pipe crossing or two and potentially the need to ride over logs.That's right, it's not for intermediate riders. It sounds like the course is mostly in Deer's Valley and I have reviewed U-TUBE videos to get an idea of the varied lighting conditions I might encounter.

Anyway, these are the tires I have in my garage to choose from:

Bontrager Jones ACX 29 x 2.1
    Bontrager Jones Dry X 29 x 2.1
    Bontrager Jones XR Front 29 x 1.8
    Bontrager Jones XR Rear 29 x 1.8
    Bontrager Jones XR Front 29 x 2.25
    Bontrager Jones XR Rear 29 x 2.20
    Conti Twister Pro 700 x 42
    Geax Saguaro 29 x 2.2
    Kenda Karma 29 x 2.2
    Kenda Klaw XT Front 29x2.1
    Kenda Klaw XT Rear 29x2.1
    Kenda Nevegal 29 x 2.20
    Maxxis Ignitor 29 x 2.1
    Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4
    Panaracer CrossBlaster 700x31
    Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45
    Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35
    Panaracer Smoke 700x45
    Schwalbe Big Apple 29 x 2.35
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.25
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.4
    Specialized Fast Trak Pro 29 x 2.0
    Stans The Crow 29x2.0
    WTB ExiWolf 29 x 2.3
    WTB Mutano Raptor 700c x 44
    WTB Nano Raptor 29 x 2.1

I am 5' 11 3/4" tall, I weigh 168lbs usually unless I really have to go. Shoes will be either Shimano M220 if I race clipless, or Marzocchi Bomber 5.10s if I go with platforms.

Your help is appreciated!

JMH

mtbr member
    As a multi time runner-up-ish almost finisher of this star studded event I'm going to let you in on just one of my secrets to success. They're tough to find in 29er, but I'm pretty good with a hot glue gun.

The Zeus Super Sucker

Manufactures disclaimers:
    1. Not compatible with Stan's rims
    2. Do not inflate
    3. Will remove skin from genitals if misused
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'd check with the mfgrs to see which of those tires are rated for summer use, above 7000ft but lower then 9700ft, in mountain time zone states using daylight savings time.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    JMH et all.

Couple of notes and clarifications:

-Although the event is not held in France, all of the officials will be speaking French (French-Canadian dialect. Actually one is technically of Dutch/Romanian descent and speaks with a lisp).
    -I wouldn't necessarily bet on the Deer Valley factor, especially since most of us are REALLY out of shape and that's not changing. There are 5 versions spread out over a vast bit of terrain. There is even talk of holding this at the Red Headed Stepsister of the Humdinger Proper over in the Uinta's.

As far as tire selection goes, I think out of all the times we shuttled this last year (which was at least once a weekend it seemed like due to the ending girth of my gut) there may have been one time that did not begin with at least one person flatting: I'm talking tubeless, tubed and I even flatted a new 2.5 2-ply HighRoller. XC to DH blends, it didn't matter.

None of the versions are technical by any means, (ok there may be one short, steep and loosey goosey butt pucker section depending on the version selected), but some sections are super fast (and quassi-bermed if you're into that sort of thing) and those sections are littered with those short, sharp, square pieces of granite that will pinch flat your tire faster than a dime store hooker giving Apu a BJ.

It's one of those rides where you want a 6.5 inch travel bike for half of it and a 4inch ripper for the other half. About 3/4's or more is on singletrack, the rest on double-so there will be room to pass throughout the race.

So, my recomendation to maximize your aerodynamicity is to opt for a 24inch 1.9 with a minimum of 55psi up front, coupled with a 3.0 studded snow tire filled with sand (to avoid any unwanted pinch flats or so you can help out in the unforeseen event of a flood) out back. You'll also want to dust off your TT aero helmet and practice your tuck-that is assuming you're selected.

Or just go square.

Good luck.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 04-23-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    The Zeus Super Sucker
    Whomever runs this tire front and rear may receive an automatic win so long as it's on a long travel FR bike. Regardless how fast they get down the mountain. But they have to ride the entire course and in a full DH kit.

Chumley for prez!
    Scott, those super suckers look sweet, will they roll up glass buildings like spidy man?

I was just thinking of running these (warning, they are a little spendy):
    http://www.airfreetires.com/shopping...59-custom.aspx

I was going to run a 37.5 psi "feel" (custom of course). Weighs less than a DH minion too! I got the idea from Chumley while we were eating some of his mom's razzleberry pie, so I can't take all the credit. Most of the credit goes to the pie
    N E ways, while all ya'll are fixin' flats I'll be coasting my way to victory on solid rubber..... Should work perfectly with my edge carbon wheels.

mtbr member
    I have a set of those Nu-Teck HPs in a custom tread pattern. The front says "[email protected]" and the back says "WAS HERE!" I don't ever race them, but only use them for poaching illegal hiking trails when it's really muddy.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Tires for Humdinger-scottmudd.jpg  

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    JMH, I'm completely speechless.
    Even after watching a gallon of blood pouring out of a guy's face on Sunday after the most brutal crash I've seen on a bike, I think this photo has affected me even more.

As an HDI committee executive, I think the fact that you actually took the time to follow [email protected] Go-Ride.com around, take this photo and use space on your disposable camera, officially puts your name in the hat for the HDI (Humdinger Invitational).

We'll cross thread this. It's kinda like cross chaining, but not really even remotely close or even related.

PS, everyone knows that you actually took two hours out of your day to catalog all of your tires for the OP.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    +
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    The front says "[email protected]" and the back says "WAS HERE!"
    = Sick nose wheelie!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    +

= Sick nose wheelie!
    Oh, good eye!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    officially puts your name in the hat for the HDI (Humdinger Invitational).
    HrmMrrmbrbrrr!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Tires for Humdinger-thumbs-up-1.jpg.jpg  

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    HrmMrrmbrbrrr!
    Actually, make that 49.0009% in.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    +

= Sick nose wheelie!
    Don't quit your day job, Encyclopedia Brown.

I was fooled at first too. I decided that either 1: This wasn't Scott or 2: He was riding some sort of wheelie, or 3: He lied about the exact configuration of his tires to disguise his passage.

but Night Vision Goggles reveal that the WAS HERE! Is simply obscured by the puddle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Tires for Humdinger-scottmuddnite.jpg  

Homer's problem child
    Don't quit your day job, Encyclopedia Brown.

I was fooled at first too. I decided that either 1: This wasn't Scott or 2: He was riding some sort of wheelie, or 3: He lied about the exact configuration of his tires to disguise his passage.

but Night Vision Goggles reveal that the WAS HERE! Is simply obscured by the puddle.
    Look pal, there are a few problems with your magic there.
    A) I'm no night-vision-ologist or anything but as far as I know "night vision" has very little to do with seeing through water.

2) Wouldn't he have to rotate his front and rear tires to exact precision clocking to get the "[email protected]" and "WAS HERE" to line up and not over-write eachother, and then never skid or lift his wheels in a way to mess up that clocking? And even then the "WAS HERE" is way shorter than the "[email protected]" so they'd either have to be differnt font sizes or he'd need a slick on the front and then the rear tire would have to say "[email protected] WAS HERE" all on the rear tire.

I guess I'm calling shenanigans here. How do you know he's not some crazy glue sniffer, "building model airplanes" he says....I'm not buying it.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I guess I'm calling shenanigans here.]
    So just what is it you're trying to say, Bortis? You think I have nothing better to do than sit around making stuff up to get [email protected] Was Here! into trouble? Like I have hours each day to Photographer Shop random pictures that I find on the internet?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    So just what is it you're trying to say, Bortis? You think I have nothing better to do than sit around making stuff up to get [email protected] Was Here! into trouble? Like I have hours each day to Photographer Shop random pictures that I find on the internet?
    I think you two should race a tandem. That would be cute.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I thought you guys deserved an update to this thread.

I am about halfway through testing all current tires on the Humdinger course and I must say I am impressed. It seems most companies make tires that excel on dirt, with a few notable exceptions that I can't reveal until the spreadsheet is completed.

Moderators - Please make this thread into a sticky.

JMH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Tires for Humdinger-img_5179.jpg  

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Dibs on the gently used Bontrager!

I think that with enough alcohol and Gorilla Glue one could fashion a large and extremely akward to carry DFL trophy for said Humdinger with the Tire Ghosts of Humdinger Past.

Let me guess. 2.1 Nevegals with 65 psi are currently the prefered choice for the descernable Humdinger rider?
    Of course they only excel when mated to 23" flat bars cut down to accomodate the shoulder width of a seven year girl with scoliosis and a pair of janky V-brakes.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    I think that with enough alcohol and Gorilla Glue one could fashion a large and extremely akward to carry DFL trophy for said Humdinger with the Tire Ghosts of Humdinger Past.

Let me guess. 2.1 Nevegals with 65 psi are currently the prefered choice for the descernable Humdinger rider?
    Of course they only excel when mated to 23" flat bars cut down to accomodate the shoulder width of a seven year girl with scoliosis and a pair of janky V-brakes.
    The Discerning Humdinger-er will be rolling a higher volume tire this season. Open knob patterns will be making the rounds, especially those with hearty transition knobs that flow nicely into something bitey on the perimeters. Profiles will be semi-rounded and handling characteristics will be spot-on for firm, dry conditions without ignoring the ever-present pockets of moondust. High pressures are out and gription is in! Pressures in the range of 29 to 34 will own the day and let's not forget a stout sidewall to fend off unwanted advances from all those rocks!

The Discernable Humdinger-er is just barely visible, so I can't tell you anything concrete.

JMH

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    So something along these lines...

Easy enough.

Thanks for that helpful hint JMH.

Next time, we'll discuss brake pad width. Is too much not enough?

1/4 semi-pro
    dont thrtow those away i need some for the humdinger! i get too tired with my big tires now that its longer. jib likes it but we rode it five times and i have to stop and rest too much.
    not anti-bobsled

scars > tattoos
    this thread lost its edge about three posts back. slackin'. i can't ride right now, so i have to live vicariously through you jokers. make it worth my while, dammit! dance, monkeys, dance!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetmafiosa
    this thread lost its edge about three posts back.
    Well it WAS recently resurrected from death... it might feel woozy for a few minutes.

scars > tattoos
    ok....that's perfectly reasonable. objection shelved.

1/4 semi-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetmafiosa
    this thread lost its edge about three posts back. slackin'. i can't ride right now, so i have to live vicariously through you jokers. make it worth my while, dammit! dance, monkeys, dance!
    why cant uou ride now did yuo brake your bike? there was a moose and two baby moose up there i saw. my freds said they saw you riding one time at a resort on a small bike. do you have a 4x bike?
    not anti-bobsled

scars > tattoos
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am Chumley's Username
    why cant uou ride now did yuo brake your bike? there was a moose and two baby moose up there i saw. my freds said they saw you riding one time at a resort on a small bike. do you have a 4x bike?
    nope, bike is fine (canfield one - it is tiny). my wrist isn't - going to stop typing soon, actually. wish i knew the exact problem and what's going to happen, but i have to wait while the doc tries cortisone injections and tries to pinpoint it before we decide on surgery. i suspect my ECU tendon subsheath has torn, and maybe some other goodness in the TFCC area as well (so many fun acronyms...so few fun results). for now, i am riding it on a trainer in my house while watching movies. XTREME! movies, so i will be in the right headspace for the humdinger if i am a go, naturally.

back to your regularly scheduled program...

Members who have read this thread: 0