What are Moab's "must do" trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

What are Moab's "must do" trails?

Coming in mid march, going to be riding every day (that my legs let me) for 7 days straight. Hands down, what are the "must do" trails that I have to hit?

I love technical and ride a 30lb full squish all-mountain bike and always looking for fun features to push my limits on.

Thanks!
    -Aaron
    From Oregon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Must

This question is asked a lot, but usually people only have a few days. Everyone has their own opinion, and here is mine. BTW, in mid-March there are a bunch of mountain trails that will be unrideable, and that I'm not listing, so you'll have to come back in September.

(Not in any order, really).

Porcupine Rim, Amasa Back, Sovereign, Baby Steps/Klondike, Bartlett Wash, Hurrah/Jackson Hole/Amasa Back, Flat Pass, Pritchett Canyon, Poison Spider/Gold Bar/Portal, Slickrock. If you can fit all those in in seven days, you've done well.

Optional:
    Hidden Valley/Moab Rim
    Gemini Bridges if you do the Little Canyon Rim option
    White Rim
    Dirt jumps at 500W and Williams Way
    Fins 'n Things
    Mointor and Merrimack
    Onion Creek
    Spring Canyon/Hey Joe

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the reply! I will try my best to do all of those, its going to be an MTB marathon! My riding friend is a XC racer, so I know he can handle the daily abuse, and I am training and prepare for it.
    I am going to print this thread out and put it in my camelback bag.
    peace.
    -Aaron

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Is their a Moab guide book with trail descriptions?

I have found one for Fruita and am having a tough time deciding whether to go to Fruita or Moab for a week in September.

I have a more XC orientation than OP and would probably be on a Moot-X YBB, but I may have a Turner Sultan by then.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by compression
    My riding friend is a XC racer, so I know he can handle the daily abuse...
    AAAHhhhh haa haa haa haaahhhaahhaaa....

Now THAT's Funny.

Hint: a "Moab XC" bike has at least 6 and 6. Your friend's arse is gonna hurt like the first 10 days in prison.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by TiRyder
    Is their a Moab guide book with trail descriptions?

I have found one for Fruita and am having a tough time deciding whether to go to Fruita or Moab for a week in September.

I have a more XC orientation than OP and would probably be on a Moot-X YBB, but I may have a Turner Sultan by then.

There are a lot of guidebooks. When you get there, get the lattitudes map of the Moab area. There's also a handfull of locally written guides. Get em.

Thread Terrorist
    oh, REI may have the Moab recreational (Lattitudes) map.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    AAAHhhhh haa haa haa haaahhhaahhaaa....

Now THAT's Funny.

Hint: a "Moab XC" bike has at least 6 and 6. Your friend's arse is gonna hurt like the first 10 days in prison.
    Mine is a 6 x 6, but my friend...Ti hardtail. He is pretty hardcore and has been there the past few years to ride, so he know what he is getting into....

Maybe this trip will finally push him into getting a full susp bike.

locked - time out
    Pic up one of the Latitutde 40 maps. They are the best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Where do the locals ride?

Done the main trails. Looking for other options. Don't mind driving an hour or so from town.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by compression
    Thanks for the reply! I will try my best to do all of those, its going to be an MTB marathon! My riding friend is a XC racer, so I know he can handle the daily abuse, and I am training and prepare for it.
    I am going to print this thread out and put it in my camelback bag.
    peace.
    -Aaron
    You'll be fine, a buddy and I just got back from SW UT last weekend and we rode everyday we were there, 6 days of 3-5hrs/ride with no shuttles on my 37lb. all mt/fr bike and I am about 220-225lbs. geared up and am in mediocre shape who lives at almost sea level in Portland. We were a bit sore by the end of the week, but once you are on the trail/rock and spinning you will be surprised how good you feel and will soon forget the pain was even there. Have fun, Utah rocks.

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    You'll be fine, a buddy and I just got back from SW UT last weekend and we rode everyday we were there, 6 days of 3-5hrs/ride with no shuttles on my 37lb. all mt/fr bike and I am about 220-225lbs. geared up and am in mediocre shape who lives at almost sea level in Portland. We were a bit sore by the end of the week, but once you are on the trail/rock and spinning you will be surprised how good you feel and will soon forget the pain was even there. Have fun, Utah rocks.
    Jgusta, what trails did you hit in Moab? Did you ride around St. George also? I'm heading down there in May, and have been doing some research. I saw you raving about how great Utah riding is, so want to check out some of the trails you rode. I also see Jaybo in the Utah forum comtemplating living amongst the mormons! You must have had a really good time.
    I guess they don't sell lycra in Utah, huh?
    By the way, I'll be bringing my FS bike, and leaving the SS hardtail at home.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Jgusta, what trails did you hit in Moab? Did you ride around St. George also? I'm heading down there in May, and have been doing some research. I saw you raving about how great Utah riding is, so want to check out some of the trails you rode. I also see Jaybo in the Utah forum comtemplating living amongst the mormons! You must have had a really good time.
    I guess they don't sell lycra in Utah, huh?
    By the way, I'll be bringing my FS bike, and leaving the SS hardtail at home.
    We didn't ride Moab, even I have been there twice before. We rode St. George area in SW Utah last week for the first time and was pretty blown away with all of the riding options and variability. Yes, I did ride with my trusty riding bro, Jaybo and we did sport a little lycra too due to the uncommon snow that landed there mid-last week. The snow that fell did change our riding itinerary, so there were a couple of rides we didn't do and had to supplement with others. Right now it is back to 75 degrees and all rides are a go down there.

Rides were as follows: Gooseberry Mesa (south rim/north rim loop), Green Valley/Bearclaw Poppy o/b, Bearclaw Poppy/Stucki Springs o/b, Gould's/JEM/Hurricane Rim loop, Gooseberry Mesa (north rim/south rim loop), Church Rocks loop

For next year, I would make sure we rode; Broken Mesa, Little Creek, Barrel Trail, Rockville Bench, along with the "Goose", Hurricane Rim o/b, and maybe Church Rocks.

The advantages to trails there instead of Moab, IMO is: The majority of the trails are rideable all year long and I found the trails to be less crowded than Moab.

Disadvantages; SW Utah rides are more spread out, have to drive anywhere from 15min-45min. to the rides.

We stayed in Springdale just outside of Zion NP for 3 nts. and St. George for 3 nts. and flew to Las Vegas w/bikes and rental SUV for transport.

If vacationing, stay in Springdale the whole time, if economy, stay in Hurricane (closest town to most rides there).

I think you will have fun wherever you go in Utah, whether it be Moab or St. George. The fall would also be a good time to go, since you could hit some epics out of Brian Head Resort (>11,000ft) or Thunder Mt. out of Brice NP (both about 1-2hrs from St. George). Utah is the sh**t!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Go south....

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum
    Done the main trails. Looking for other options. Don't mind driving an hour or so from town.

Any ideas?
    In the summer and fall, the trails in the LaSal mountains are spectacular.

Also, the very little used singletrack in the Abajo (Blue) Mountains west of Monticello.

One of the problems with Moab is sand. There are a lot of ATV/4x4 trails that are good mountain biking if the sand is firm. Hook and Ladder down by La Sal is one of these.

There is a whole world of riding between Moab and Bluff that has barely been scratched by mountain bikes. Check out the 'Trails' link on this website:

http://www.sanjuansafari.com

Members who have read this thread: 0