mtbr member

What Moab trail is pictured here?

Is it Behind the Rocks?

From a post by Lidarman:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Um... er...

Amassa back?? Ding, ding, ding... tell 'em what he's won Bob.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Poison Spider

The fins are across the river from Poison Spider. From Amasa Back they would look closer.

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    The fins are across the river from Poison Spider. From Amasa Back they would look closer.
    But Amasa is a large feature.

Shocks...pegs...lucky!
    Are we sure that's not Klondike Bluffs? The fins look like they belong to the Firey Furnace.

Lavaman

BTW the rider looks superimposed into the pic, if it wasn't for the shadow.
    Your mountain bike hates its life as a road bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lavaman
    Are we sure that's not Klondike Bluffs? The fins look like they belong to the Firey Furnace.
    I agree with lava. That is the Furnace in the background so the rider has to be inside Arches, he could be 20' off the road in this shot. What I am saying is it's probably not a trail.... a legal trail anyway.

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    I agree with lava. That is the Furnace in the background so the rider has to be inside Arches, he could be 20' off the road in this shot. What I am saying is it's probably not a trail.... a legal trail anyway.
    This is fun, so I'm not telling, but it's not Arches Park, that's not Fiery Furnace, and he's not on Poison Spider Mesa either. And he's riding legally on singletrack that has existed for years & years.

hfly

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    This is fun, so I'm not telling, but it's not Arches Park, that's not Fiery Furnace, and he's not on Poison Spider Mesa either. And he's riding legally on singletrack that has existed for years & years.

hfly
    For everyone's info, I don't know the answer. I'm hoping to make another trip to Moab soon.

Shocks...pegs...lucky!
    Ok, what direction is the camera pointing?

Lavaman

More Chasmism
    Ok, what direction is the camera pointing?
    ESE

hfly

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hmm if its pointing ESE my guess would be gold bar trail. If its pointing north then I would have said Moab Rim
    BSG

John Finch

Smile Pot Hole Single Track

This picture was taken on the trail leading out to the Pot Hole. There is a large slickrock section on the ride out to the Pot Hole and this is where the pictuure was taken. Close to this picture is the Rock Stacker Trail that leads over to Cliff Hanger that drops down to the new Kane Creek Bypass Trail next to the Colorado River.

Shocks...pegs...lucky!

you must be a local

I've been riding in moab for 8 years and never heard of any of those places accept Kane Creek road. None of the trails you mentioned are on the maps I looked at. Now my curiosity is piqued. Where can I get info? Are there maps in town, somewhere online, a guidebook?

thanks for all the fun!

lavaman

John Finch

Smile was i correct hfly?

lavaman:

I am not a local, but I wish I was. The ride I mentioned is way cool , but if I told you where it was I would have to kill you so you wouldn't tell any of your favorite riding buddies were it's at.

If you are better than an intermediate rider this ride will blow your mind. It is one of my favorite rides. When are you going to Moab again?

Shocks...pegs...lucky!
    I've been riding for 15 years so I consider my technical skills to be expert. I live in the Provo, UT area. My next trip to Moab might be as early as this Spring. I would go next week but I am going to ride with a buddy in St. George instead. I am kinda hoping to ride the super secret burro pass (the legal way, if there is one) to porcupine trail as well as sovreign singletrack.
    You don't have to tell me where your secret trail is if you don't want to but its probably safe since I don't have a lot of riding buddies. Most of my college riding buddies got married and moved away. I don't ride with newbies much b/c I always end up fixing their bikes.

Thanks,
    Lavaman

John Finch

Smile Let's Ride This Spring

Let's try to hook up this spring. You sound like a much more experienced rider than me, but that's ok.

I would love to do the burro pass ride with you. I had the good fortune of being in the second to the last group that made it over the pass around 9/23/04 before the BIG snow season. It was snowing big time and there was about 4" of packed snow on the trail. Nat from IMBA did the ride the following day and he said it was brutal getting to the summit.

When we made it down to the exit of Hazard County we hit the wet clay conditions. Our tires were clogged with mud and we had to carry our bikes down the Kokopelli about a half mile before we could get to barely ridable conditions. We actually had to ride the rut for about a mile before we hit the more sandy conditions.

The rest of the ride down UPS, MPS, LPS and the Porc was a blast. I showed my friends (one of which was a native indian) the scared Indian caves and the arrowheads that have been stashed in a special spot by the locals. My friends we rode with were from Sedona and couldn't believe the ride. They don't get a 7,000 ft. elevation drop in Sedona.

If we hook-up you also might like to do the the Gold Bar Rim to Portal singletrack on the rim. The locals do this ride and each time I do it, it seems like they put in new improved routing and build-ups to make it more fun to ride. As usual the ride down the Portal is one of my favorites. I love some of those narrow turny rocky drops. Each time I do the ride I am able to make one or two that I had never made before. The ride or walk across the steep ass section still scares me.

Hope to see you there, maybe we can get hfly to show us some of the secret stuff.

Shocks...pegs...lucky!
    Gold Bar Rim was one of the first rides I did in Moab and have done it another time since but that was 7 years ago. I am sure it's a quite different now. We got lost pretty bad the first time and the second time took a wrong turn. The portal is awesome. Word on the street is that Hazard, UPS and MPS are all illegal. I think Burro might still be doable with a 'bridge' shuttle to get back to Kokopellis. I have done it from Kokopellis and we pretty much just rode Sand Flats Road. So you know how to get to the LPS? I would love to see the indian caves if they are on that section (promise not to tell) The guy at Poison Spider said you pretty much have to know someone to be able to find it.

Anyway, I could go on and on.

You live in UT? What city?

Lavaman

More Chasmism
    .So you know how to get to the LPS?
    Oh yeah he knows.

John, you're indeed right in IDing the picture that started this thread. Sorry I never sent you that PM re: my thoughts on some of your "activities". Got busy. I have concerns with regard to particular methods being used. I hope that doesn't come across as some self-righteous judgment towards you personally. You seem like a cool guy.

hfly

Members who have read this thread: 0