What happened to the AF trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

What happened to the AF trails?

Went down on Sunday, was pretty surprised at the conditions of the trails. I mean, we still had a great ride, but the trails down there are hammered compared to PC. Horses? Motos? Just the type of soil? Super dry and rocky, and most trails had deep ruts carved into them. Maybe the rains of June? Used to be you could go down to AF to find some sweet singletrack, and avoid some crowds...considering they charge $6 to park in the canyon to boot, seems like a hard sell these days.

Curious if people have thoughts on that one.

Oh yeah - also - anyone done the Grove creek trail recently? (ie: from the ridge trail 157 down Grove Creek) Curious about how overgrown the section between the springs and the start of the Grove creek canyon proper is. Seems like many years you can barely see the trail, and after a wet spring/june like we had, wondering if its just a jungle or what.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I understand that trail usage in June really tore things up. I've hit another area to ride that, similar to AF, does not have quite the dedicated trail crew to go out and fix and it was also a bit tore up. The motoutah crew had a big trail work day up there (AF) a few weeks ago to try to get the trail back into shape but it doesn't sound like it's all restored. It was a rough spring for our trails...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    I understand that trail usage in June really tore things up. I've hit another area to ride that, similar to AF, does not have quite the dedicated trail crew to go out and fix and it was also a bit tore up. The motoutah crew had a big trail work day up there (AF) a few weeks ago to try to get the trail back into shape but it doesn't sound like it's all restored. It was a rough spring for our trails...
    Yeah, I think they fixed up that boggy spot on the deer creek side - fancy gravel bridges - nice job, but the rest of the trail has suffered quite a bit. (the single track on that deer creek side is slightly less single (section from top of Alpine loop down to deer creek road) as they must have driven 4 wheelers down to do the repair work. Necessary evil, I suppose.

Interesting, on how the spring affected conditions because PC seems better than ever. (at least the upper sections)

Hints on your other area? Does one of the trails go by Lizard Lake? (wild guess)

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Hmmm.... a group of us were planning on heading to AF on Sunday but opted to shuttle some PC stuff instead to avoid the heat. At first I was a little annoyed with the moto guys down there, but almost all have had better trail etiquette than most mountain bikers and 100% better than most equestrians. Night and day difference down there compared to what you run into up in Bountiful.

Seems like most every trail isn't in that great a shape this year. Besides someone blatantly tearing down stuff on the Bobsled or raking all the top soil off of the exit to City Creek, seems like the weather is usually the culprit. Some might remember how rough a lot of the Brian Head stuff was last summer after they got all that rain. It just washed a good portion of the dirt away exposing rocks and creating ruts.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yeah, I'm primarily an MTB guy but I ride a KTM as well. A lot of the MTB community that has only been exposed to the destructive behavior that goes on up around the B are not aware that most moto guys are every bit as concerned with preserving single track and keeping it in great shape. One of the best pieces of single track that I know of near the Wasatch is pretty much only used by motos, and it's absolutely stellar. Real moto riders are actually after the same kind of trails, conditions, and upkeep as the MTB crowd. Unfortunately, it's all to often that they get lumped in with the wrong crowd.

Another issue with AF is one of only a hand full of areas that still allows motos, equestrians, hikers, and mountain bikers, heck I even saw a bunch of pack goats up there last time. That puts a lot of pressure on those trails. As we continue to restrict access around the Wastach to just a few user groups, those left "outside" have but a couple places to recreate. That makes for trails systems that are very difficult to maintain. Add in a whole bunch of rain right in the spring when everyone is just dying to get out, and you have one heck of a mess.

slcrockymountainrider, I agree with your remarks on other trails in the area. I've observed sections of the shoreline that were tore to hell by the MTB and hiker community this spring. It was just a really harsh weather pattern and I bet that even the most disciplined riders were sneaking out for mileage in the weeks on end of rain we had.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    think you guys are right - and don't get me wrong - wasn't giving Moto guys a hard time - infact every one we saw was SUPER nice. A couple of them not only stopped, but actually killed their engines while we passed. That's pretty much above and beyond, in my book.

lewis peak / ben lomond are other good examples of moto trails that usually are in good shape ( well, outside of the steep decent into n.ogden pass from lewis peak - but hardly any trail users fault there )

i've heard the trails out in monte cristo are good too, and I think they are open to motos as well.

we'll blame it on the weather and horses. ( horses are easy scape goat ... they can't even type, so no way they can post a rebuttal )

mtbr member
    I've come across many many moto guys on the AF trails, and they have all been great. I've also come across many many equestrians and all but one have been complete pricks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubeck
    I've come across many many moto guys on the AF trails, and they have all been great. I've also come across many many equestrians and all but one have been complete pricks.
    just to really fire up this whole anti-horse thing - those bastards can drag all the crap in the world into the wilderness, and we aren't even allowed to ride there. ( i mean, really, have you seen a big trip with pack horses in the Uintas? You call that low impact? F that. bunch of crap ) Its all entitlement - they were here first I guess.

Your Best Friend
    AF Canyon really paid the price this year with the rains. Also, many users (read: all groups) went up there when they shouldn't have and caused havoc. Honestly if we give the Motorbikes some more time up there, they'll help break down the ruts. I spent over 11 hours on two different Saturdays working on the South Fork Deer Creek reroute. We had Forest Service, Mountain bikers and Motorbikers there. No hikers or horseback riders of any kind bothered to show up to help. Earlier that week I had a .45 drawn on me by some guy on horseback and found out later that a Motorbiker was actually shot at the next week. Fortunately they were arrested while leaving the canyon. Oh, and yes, sorry about the ruined singletrack coming down off the top. We had to get four wheelers and trailers to bring the gravel down. If you stay off the sides the vegetation will quickly grow back.

This picture represents my favorite part of allowing horses on trails. I take this personally since I spent so much time on this section:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mar 2009
    Gravellll!!!???? Why!!!???

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I had several replies about equestrians typed but none were really postable... I really, really dislike seeing horseshit every 20 yards on the trails.

Pack it out, you selfish gits.

Your Best Friend
    Gravel....because this area was a perpetual swamp. This was designed by the Forest Service. The bridges (or puncheons as they call them?) are over the highest water flow areas. This section was rebuilt about 20 yards up the hill from the original trail and covers maybe 100 yards.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe
    Gravel....because this area was a perpetual swamp. This was designed by the Forest Service. The bridges (or puncheons as they call them?) are over the highest water flow areas. This section was rebuilt about 20 yards up the hill from the original trail and covers maybe 100 yards.
    kudos Silentfoe for the work, many thanks. Interesting, no hikers or horse people showed up. figures.

I wasn't too worried about the 4 wheeler tracks, figured it was neccessary, and really that vegetation was out of control up there anyway!

I know the gravel bridges look sorta over the top, but anyone that has ridden that section knows that it is in fact a swamp, and that might have been the only sustainable solution ( When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England. )

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe
    " Earlier that week I had a .45 drawn on me by some guy on horseback and found out later that a Motorbiker was actually shot at the next week. Fortunately they were arrested while leaving the canyon."
    #1. Thanks for all of your, and you're volunteers, hard work!

#2. Your quote above, the arrest, is welcome news. A friend and I had, what sounds like, this same "fellow trail user" stop us on TF a few years back.

Members who have read this thread: 0