What is good to ride now?

Printable View

• 11-18-2008
    Wiggles_dad
    What is good to ride now?
    I live in SLC and am wanting to take advantage of the warm spell that we are having. What are some good XC rides within a couple of hours from the city that are in good riding condition?

Thanks
  • 11-19-2008
    bikesaretheanswer
    Bst
    Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

All Good to go from the Zoo to Ensign peak.
  • 11-19-2008
    wiggy
    go do the quarry trail in little cottonwood canyon -- a little cool but clear and a quick ride up and down (i saw one other person on the trail this afternoon - an hour ago)

also try out yellow fork canyon

joe
  • 11-19-2008
    ixi
    Anyone try Mueller Park? Maybe a night ride when it's all frozen?
  • 11-20-2008
    gnslr
    When it is or has been wet Stansbery Island is often in good shape. It is the best option during the spring runoff. It is mostly rock and gravel so it sheds moisture well. The trail guides route it as a loop using the roads to return to the parking area. Some of these roads are muddy after a rain or during the thaw and can make a mess of your bike so I usually ride it as an out and back.
  • 11-20-2008
    catch22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gnslr
    When it is or has been wet Stansbery Island is often in good shape. It is the best option during the spring runoff. It is mostly rock and gravel so it sheds moisture well. The trail guides route it as a loop using the roads to return to the parking area. Some of these roads are muddy after a rain or during the thaw and can make a mess of your bike so I usually ride it as an out and back.

Agreed, do Stansbury as an out and back, I can't understand why the guides all recommend taking the road back. Wish that trail was extended to be a full loop.
  • 11-20-2008
    Idiot Boy 1
    Mueller? Mueller? Mueller?
  • 11-20-2008
    shelbster15
    Yo wiggles, pack up the car and road trip it to gooseberry!
    try this formula: You * Friends * Bikes + Southern Utah in November= :thumbsup: (:thumbsup: >any male enhancement drug)
  • 11-21-2008
    Filip
    Mueller takes forever to dry up since its facing north and its shaded. I live near by and will try an check it out this weekend.
  • 11-22-2008
    ssuperlight
    I just rode mueller this morning and it was all rideable up to the top. There were a few patches of snow that you have to ride through, but it's in really good shape.
  • 11-24-2008
    esXso
    Is it possible to ride from Mueller to Ensign Peak along the ridge tops?
  • 11-25-2008
    slcpunk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by esXso
    Is it possible to ride from Mueller to Ensign Peak along the ridge tops?

This is a favorite question that seems to always come up...seems to me the answer I hear most often is: "yes, if you don't mind walking your bike through scrub oak and getting lost"

AFAIK, there is no real solid biking route. But I would love to be wrong!
  • 11-25-2008
    Wiggles_dad
    Draper has been really good the last couple of weeks.
  • 12-14-2008
    drain bamage
    I went up to quarry last week and it was kinda snowy and slow moving unless your tires have super traction it isnt the best trail since it is so high. Bonnevile shoreline I only did like half of a mile. doe it get any better after half of a mile?
  • 12-14-2008
    Wiggles_dad
    I'm willing to bet the shoreline is muck right now.
  • 12-14-2008
    drain bamage
    Probably but once the snow melts im definatly goin up :)
  • 12-16-2008
    OilcanRacer

this was yesterday. it can be done on some wide tire bike. more pics on my blog