What the F!@#$%! Attn: Ogden Area Riders!- Mtbr.com
    MTBR member
    Jan 2007

What the [email protected]#$%! Attn: Ogden Area Riders!

Please yield the trail accordingly. Hikers and horses have the right of way. And please...yield the right of way to up-hill riders, when you are descending. I was cut off, when climbing today, by almost all of the mountain bikers that I encountered.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope you are not one of those riders

that expects downhill riders to completely stop and get 100% off the trail. The rules say downhill riders Yield, not that they stop. If there is enough room for you to ride on your right and me to ride on my right then I would not stop. Just slow down so we could pass safely. And if you gave me some BS about you having complete dominion of the trail cause your going up i would think what an a$$ and keep riding away. If you were cut off by almost every rider I think you may have unrealistic expectations. I find the like 98% of the trail users are very curtious. I never ride in odgen tho but I could not see almost everyone cutting you off. so try to be of the attitude that all of us belong to the trail equally and we all need let others pass as easily as possible. While uphill riders have the rightaway that does not mean you can ride in the middle of a trail that is 3 feet wide and expect everyone to stop for you. Share nice kids
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Bend, OR
    When I'm descending, I try to stop and get off the trail. I definitely don't think this is possible all the time though. When I'm going up I don't expect it, but it is nice when people do stop. Also forget right of way on Bobsled, the rules don't apply there.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Not too long ago, a guy on a Rocky Mountain switch came at me so fast, he had to wipe out to avoid hitting me. I was climbing up a narrow section of single track, and he skidded +10 feet and then flew off the trail. Imagine if i was a little kid hiking with my parents.

Chris Bling

keep your eyes open

in a perfect world, we wouldnt have to worry about such things. its just like riding any vehicle, whether with two wheels or 4. pay attention to your surroundings and never expect people to give you the ride of way. take a pedestrian walking accross a crosswalk the right of way is going to do him a fat lot of good when a 4000 pound car slams into him because he assumes the car coming toward him is going to see him and stop. good luck star wars

dusty
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

banned
    Isn't there also a rule about not making a fuss when you know there are going to be mountain bikes descending on the trail?? It makes you seem *****y and whiny. Relax, learn to live with it.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    That's a great idea. Let's piss off all of the hikers, and abuse the hell out of our trails. Obviously you haven't seen trail closures before. Reckless use of our trails is bad for everyone.

Chris Bling

go to time out

someone woke up on the wrong side of the trail
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    this is interesting, i know that uphill riders, hikers and horses get the right of way, but doesn't that seem backwards.. i mean you can hear bike coming down fast toward you.. but when you're going down a hill fast you can't hear people coming up the trail at you..

i think descenders definitely need to keep their heads up and eyes peeled .. but i think ascending traffic should pay better attention and if they hear something ripping down.. just assume you should hop how of the way...

i mean like that guy said about the kid on the switch falling b/c he was trying to get ouf of the way of a climber... sounds like he didn't have enough time to get out of the way .. and could have gotten hurt doing it... chances are a person going up can hear someone ripping down and should probably get out of the way.. so the descender doesn't get hurt trying to dodge someone that assumed they were being looked out for.

Chris Bling

Amen!

i couldnt of said it better myself!

dusty
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    ......Please yield the trail accordingly. Hikers and horses have the right of way. And please...yield the right of way to up-hill riders, when you are descending. I was cut off, when climbing today, by almost all of the mountain bikers that I encountered........

Right!!!
    I'm always ultra courteous on the trails, especially to hikers. They're the ones with the power. I always say "thank you" when they yield to me, because they don't have to. I believe mountain biking on these trails is a privelege, not a right!! All we need is a few biker accidents and they'll kick all our asses off.

I've been riding the Ogden Bench for nine years now and it's getting crowded. Gotta be careful.

Horse back riders should get a trail maintenance group going, because they make more damage and mess (horse crap) than anybody else. And the ones I know I proud to do it!!

To me it's no different than a mountain biker or hiker taking a dump in the middle of the trail.

Mar 2007
    I agree with Ponch in that the Ogden trails are getting crowded. Does anyone know of any good Ogden trails with fewer hikers and horses? Last year I spent quite a bit of time on the trail to Lewis Peak from Pineview. Most of the time I had the place to myself. It was nice to climb up and be able to rip back down without worrying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nope does not seem backward at all

If you are on a multi-use trail with traffic traveling in both directions you have no right to be ripping at all. You need to slow down. It is the downhill riders fault if there is a collision. this is the only way it could work. Otherwise you could just go as fast as you want and if you happen to hit someone shame on them for getting in your way. Uphill riders should not hop out of your way. They should keep riding because its hard to get started pedaling on a hill. If the desending rider stops he/she can get going again with no problem. I think the key is knowing what yeilding is. To me yield means going slow enough and giving enough space for the other person to pass safely. Not completely stopping, and not ripping and hoping people hear you and get outta the way. Like I said before I am usually way impressed with the manners of the people I see out on the trails. If people were as polite and patient in automobile traffic as they are in trail traffic there would be 66% less car accidents. (this statistic was made up and has no emperical support).
    So thanks to all of you out there that polietly let me by, or say thanks when I let you by.

PM me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yeah

Please don't ride uphill on bobsled. However I think the rules still apply. If one of us is bobsledding down and run into a hiker's 8 year old kid and break his back. Guess who's gonna have some outstanding medical bills.

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by konadownhill
    Does anyone know of any good Ogden trails with fewer hikers and horses? .
    In Ogden, you can pretty much rip it on most of the Skyline trail system; and the Ben Lomond, Cutler Spring, and Bicentenial Trail in North Fork Park. In North Fork Park there's a better chance of hitting a moose than a human being. I love riding there. That's because they are pretty much empty, and the visibility is real, real good. Hardly any blind corners.

Ripping it through blind corners is dumb. On the bench I slow down on blind corners and yell "Hello, Hello, hello,.......", until I see it's clear. Especially between 22nd and Taylor canyon.

You can also rip it down the very, very upper Trails in Snowbasin (Needles and Porcupine Trails). They are fast and open with no blind corners. As you start approaching the lower lodges getting lower into the trees, you have to be more careful with hikers.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I am glad to see that there are still MTBrs w/ trail ettiquette! I have encountered many friendly and courteous bikers. It's unfortunate that some people just don't get it.

Bend, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    Please don't ride uphill on bobsled. However I think the rules still apply. If one of us is bobsledding down and run into a hiker's 8 year old kid and break his back. Guess who's gonna have some outstanding medical bills.
    I agree that if a biker coming down hit someone coming up, the rider going down would be completely at fault. Obviously, you can't legally say no one can go up this trail. However, it's my opinion that locals should know better than to go up that trail, be they hikers, biker, whoever. Most bikers coming down Bobsled don't expect meet anyone else and ride pretty much at or beyond their limits. If people choose to go up, they should at least know what they're in for, and be prepared to jump out of the way of bikers, who in most cases will not be able to stop.

It'd be nice if there was a sign at the bottom warning about this so at least nonlocals would be a little better prepared.

What do other people think about Bobsled?

Oct 2005
    I would second Poncharelli's idea of giving a little warning and slowing way down before entering a blind corner. Just holler out "rider" loud enough to warn uphill traffic and you will largely eliminate the problem of startling other users. I would urge caution on the Ben Lomond trail though Ponch at least descending to the pass because it gets used an awful lot my motorcycles and equestrians. You can really get into alot of speed on some of those straight sections and it is so rocky that a quick stop to avoid a motorcycle speeding uphill can get really hairy.
    It is true that downhill riders never ever have the right of way according to common trail etiquette. Practically speaking however, we occasionally have to beg for pardon. So do trail runners, equestrians, hikers with over friendly dogs and so on. A sincere apology will always turn a potentially bad experience for our fellow users into an extra good one and it is a good way to make friends. The only time we have a real problem is when we get attitude from the downhill rider who ought to be apologizing. This type of bully is extremely rare in my experience but it sounds like wookie ran into a few of them. Sorry bout that wookie. Have a nice ride man. Take care.

Members who have read this thread: 0