What to do in Moab?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2005

What to do in Moab?

Hey, I'm a freerider coming to Moab two weeks from now. I've ridden a bit of slickrock trail when I passed through once, but that's it.

I'm hoping for not too bad of a climb because I'm a lazy ass 17 year old who's totally out of shape. Ok, not really, but I'm not a climber. I've got a 40T front chainring and that's it, so if it's up, it's pushing. I love shuttles, but I know not everything has a nice road to the top of it.

So anyways, what are the must do rides?

And are there maps of the good stuff?

Thanks,
    Trevor

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I think you'd like Porcupine Rim. Shuttle to the trailhead and from there you have a climb a few miles up. At the top you have a beautiful view, after that it's all sweet downhill.

Jan 2005
    Sounds good! anything else I should be aware of? I'm there for an entire week, so I don't wanna ride slickrock all week.

Also, what is there for motorcycle riding in the area? I recall motorcycles on slickrock, but where else can you get in on the BRAAAP action?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Advice

I've ridden my DH bike on Porcupine, and it works well. Start at the second trailhead (LPS, by the cattle guard) if you can. That cuts about 3/4 of the the beginning climb. I only push once when I do that.

I've also ridden the sled out at Bartlett Wash, and at Slickrock, although at Slickrock there was a lot of pushing.

Moab is dirt bike heaven. Motorcycles are allowed on almost all the trails on which you can ride mountain bikes. Sovereign and Slickrock were built for motorcycles. Porcupine is doable until the singletrack right at the end, where they are banned, so you have to turn around at that point. Before motorcycles were banned on the singletrack, a couple of friends of mine actually rode their 300lb dual sports all the way to the end. Crazy.

I've had trouble on Amasa Back, but a really good rider can do it. Pritchett has some tough ledges, too. Hell's Revenge and Fins 'n Things are great on motorcycles, and you won't piss off the mountain bikers there. Kane Creek is another one that sucks on mountain bikes but is great with a motor.

Stay on the effin' trail and off the crypto. Crypto is a black crusty living organism on the soil that holds the sand together so windstorms don't turn into sand storms. If you don't know what crypto is, go to the Visitor's Center at the corner of Main and Center Streets for an orientation Nothing pisses people off more than some tool on a motorcycle or an ATV or a mountain bike ripping where they shouldn't be. They've already restricted some areas due to trail damage, and if people don't start acting civilized, we'll have nowhere to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    Sounds good! anything else I should be aware of? I'm there for an entire week, so I don't wanna ride slickrock all week.

Also, what is there for motorcycle riding in the area? I recall motorcycles on slickrock, but where else can you get in on the BRAAAP action?

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    Stay on the effin' trail and off the crypto. Crypto is a black crusty living organism on the soil that holds the sand together so windstorms don't turn into sand storms. If you don't know what crypto is, go to the Visitor's Center at the corner of Main and Center Streets for an orientation Nothing pisses people off more than some tool on a motorcycle or an ATV or a mountain bike ripping where they shouldn't be. They've already restricted some areas due to trail damage, and if people don't start acting civilized, we'll have nowhere to ride.
    I'm very aware of the cryptobiotic soil. I don't bust the crust

Thanks for the tips!

Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    Well said.

For other MTB rides there's the Chile Pepper DH and Dave's. You'll need to ask at a bike shop about how to get to those, but they both start up near slickrock and descend down to town.

As far as motorcycles go, check out Moab Rim as well, if you're good.

Jan 2005
    Are there any spots that are Red Bull Rampage like? I'd like to get in some hucking on some soft terrain if possible...

Andykiller

Stay on the Trail

As a jeeper and a mountain biker, I am always amazed at how the motorcyles and four-wheelers are ripping the shiznit out of the landscape. And do not go expanding the width of roads either by riding on the vegetation along side the road.
    The BLM just closed some motorcyle areas near Factory Butte, because the motorcycles and 4-wheelers were tearing the place up.

Moab is not a motorcyle park, so if your looking for jumps and stuff like that you may want to go somewhere else. it seems like the motorcyles people get pretty bored with staying on the trail, so they ride everywhere within site of the trail to get their thrills. This will shut the trails down pretty fast for everyone.

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    Trevor, I don't know you might already be in Moab by now but you should be able to find some red bull rampage-ish stuff. In NWD7 Cam McCaul's Utah stuff was all in the Moab area I think.
    Also I never took you up on the offer to show me Sweet Connie last summer so I may have to take you up on that this summer when I'm back in Boise. Especially now that I have a big bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0