What to check out in St. George?- Mtbr.com
    Au'Right!
    Nov 2004

What to check out in St. George?

My husband and I are considering moving to St. George and are working to take a day or two out there to see if it fits the bill. So we were wondering if there is anything you guys would recomend that we check out like bike shops, areas to live, or good places to grind (someone suggested Jimmey johns). My husbands a bike mechanic and I work in the medical feild so were intrested in living somewhat close to Dixie Reginal (the River Road Campus) or a nice bike shop. We were hoping to get a feel for the local seen rather than the tourist stuff. If theres any info. you guys can give us that would be great.

Martinez'
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

mtbr member

Lucky dogs

My favorite resturaunt in town is the Claim Jumper "not part of the chain". The best "people" bike shop is Red Rock but there light on hardware heavy on good trail advice. Best rides I've done are Goosberry and Littlecreek Mesas in Hurricane and Broken Mesa in town.

mtbr member
    You have got to eat at Cafe Rio, try anything it's all good. I'm a two taco barbacoa guy myself.
    Desert Cyclery on Bluff St. just lost Chris, a great wrench and all around good dude. Kong (owner of said establishment) could probably use some help.
    I live on the west side of town and consider it to be the prettier side. It may be a little farther to commute to the hospital but we're talking ten, maybe fifteen minutes extra drive time- no big deal.

Ride the famous trails ie. Goose/Little Creek and then the Green Valley stuff, that should give you a pretty good idea of what's up riding wise.

Good luck with everything, PM me if you have any other specific questions.

Brass Nipples!
    You MUST eat at Cafe Rio. Suggested menu items are pork tacos, chicken burritos and enchiladas (ask for a flour tortillia for the enchilada), and the chicken tostada salad.

Bicycles Unlimited is yet another shop in town. They're also worth a look.

The hospital commute is reasonable from pretty much anywhere in town. Don't make proximity your highest priority when looking for housing.

You can't go wrong starting out with the rides recommended so far. Get in touch with one of the gang of locals on mtbr for more ride info once you're settled in.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Oct 2005

More St. George thoughts

Hope you enjoy your visit to St. George...and decide to stick around. I'll add a bit to what others have said. I, too, think that the west side is the prettier side of town, but most everything you want - grocery stores, freeway access, and of course the hospital - is on the east side. And the east side (where I live) isn't bad - they call that section of town Panorama for a reason!

Having said that, no matter where you go you will be pretty close to the hospital. After having an hour-long commute in Portand, where I used to live, I remain amazed at how close everything is.

Food - I am one of the few that like Durangos better than Cafe Rio. And Bascila's if you want "Greek-style" food you really cannot get anywhere else in town. If you manage to head out to the Zion area - maybe after riding JEM or Gooseberry - both Oscar's and Bit and Spur are worth your time.

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slow up slow down
    Hope you enjoy your visit to St. George...and decide to stick around. I'll add a bit to what others have said. I, too, think that the west side is the prettier side of town, but most everything you want - grocery stores, freeway access, and of course the hospital - is on the east side. And the east side (where I live) isn't bad - they call that section of town Panorama for a reason!

Having said that, no matter where you go you will be pretty close to the hospital. After having an hour-long commute in Portand, where I used to live, I remain amazed at how close everything is.

Food - I am one of the few that like Durangos better than Cafe Rio. And Bascila's if you want "Greek-style" food you really cannot get anywhere else in town. If you manage to head out to the Zion area - maybe after riding JEM or Gooseberry - both Oscar's and Bit and Spur are worth your time.
    Do you guys think that Hurricane is too far East? It seems like in town is looking to be a little expensive. Is there a way to ride from Hurricane to St. George for work? Is there a bike path or trail? Would you consider it a far 18 miles or a cake walk ie: down hill both ways

The Wife

Leash Law Enforcer
    I agree with the Cafe Rio suggestion. It is very good. For dessert you should definitely head on over to Nielsen's for a frozen custard concrete. I think that Men's Health rated it as one of the top 10 places to eat/get dessert in the nation.

I've had family in St. George ever since I was a little tyke and I visit on a regular basis. It is amazing how much that place has grown. It used to be that the entire town was contained within the main valley. It has now expanded well beyond that. I have heard it is the fastest growing city in America right now. The land/housing prices have gone through the roof there. It is almost California-like. Hurricane is a little ways away. I'm sure that it is bikeable to get from there to St. George but I don't know which route you would take.

As far as bike shops, I only know Desert Cyclery. Kong is a good guy and if he is looking for help (as mentioned above) you should check it out.

Oct 2005

Hurricane to St. George

Depending on where you start in Hurricane, it would be doable if you don't mind riding a ways on Highway 9. There isn't a lot of traffic on that road, but it travels pretty fast.

Then take Telegraph off of Highway 9 and that will take you right into town.

You will have to either go around or over Foremaster Ridge to get to the hospital.

I would say you can do it, but it is not a ride I would want to do every week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hurricane.

The commute from Hurricance to St George is certainly not an easy 18 miles. I used to commute from SG to Toquerville, (A few miles past huricane) and it is fairly tough. There are 3 good climbs( highway 9, The climb up the Mesa that borders washington, and Foremaster ridge, there is a way around that now). I am pretty strong (Expert Racer) and struggled to make it under an hour in Ideal conditions. if the Winds pickup (There is a reason its called Hurricane) they turn the decents into granny gear climbs. Nice place to live however. SG is way expensive. Check out washington. There are still houses in the neighborhoods just east of the hospital that have not gotten expensive as fast as the centrally located ones. Red Rock Bicycles is your best shop in town. Desert 2nd and BU a distant 3rd. (maybe 4th does gart sports count as a bike shop?).

hope that helps
    pedal

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    St. George is a great area. I would love to live there. Let me throw my vote in the hat for Cafe Rio as well. As for shops, I have to go with Desert Cyclery as well. Kong stocks great components and frames and has plenty of high end stuff in his store all the time. He is also great with the customers and takes the time needed to give you great service. Good luck with your home search.

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    So, just so sum up what we plan to do thus far. Eat at Cafe Rio (hope its as good as the one in downtown SLC) and satisfy the sweet tooth at Nielsen's. Check out the hospital, Washington, and south side of Hurricane. Take a gander at some of the bike shops:

Shuntavi Bikes
    (435) 635-7328
    974 N State St, La Verkin

Springdale Cycles
    1458 Zion Park Blvd., Springdale

Zion Cycles
    (435) 772-0400
    868 Zion Park Blvd., Springdale

Bicycles Unlimited
    (435) 673-4492
    90 S 100 E, St George

Desert Cyclery
    (435) 674-2929
    514 N Bluff St # 1, St George

Red Rock Bicycle Co.
    (435) 674-3185
    100 S Bluff St, St George

and hopefully have time to check out Gooseberry a little bit befor we head out. Did we miss anything important? We'll be a little straped for time but if you guys think we need to try and sqweeze something in let us know.

-Martinez'

shaved yeti
    I don't think Springdale is running anymore. Vinny is up in Park City.

Check your PM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=cdad_martinez]So, just so sum up what we plan to do thus far. Eat at Cafe Rio (hope its as good as the one in downtown SLC)

This Rio is the original.......We hope yours is as good as ours.

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004

oops...sorry

how inconsiderate of me. its obviously better than the one in SLC. my oppologies

We're still having a little trouble with affordable realestate; you guys know anybody to talk to in the area or have suggestions of areas to live (on a small scale, like a gentelman at REMAX has been showing me community areas like green Valley, Bloomington Hills, or Red Cliffs) that might be less expensive?

The Wife
    Last edited by cdad_martinez; 02-18-2006 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    This Rio is the original.......We hope yours is as good as ours.
    A little off topic but I thought the Rio originated up in Utard Valley.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Here's just a couple of the trails we hit down there. More vids to come...

These are shot by helmet cam.

These are from last weekend (president's day '06)

Click the images to get to the videos. Enjoy.
    Bear Claw Poppy Trail

JEM Trail

Members who have read this thread: 0