What to buy? What to try?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

What to buy? What to try?

First off, I'd like to say hi to the Utah forum! I've recently moved to the Ogden area from Phoenix, and I'm glad to see the snow receding so far up the mountains.

Now that it looks like I might be able to get some saddle time in, I'm looking to upgrade from my tried-and-true hardtail and get myself a full suspension ride. I've been looking at the Trance x2 and the Pitch Pro, but having not ridden any of the trails I don't know which is the more capable on this Utah soil. I'd also like to fit in with all the cool people, so what kind of rigs are popular around here? My type of riding is mostly all mountain, but I'd like to get something that is shuttle/chairlift worthy on a mild scale.

Also, what trails are good to try in the Ogden-ish area? I don't mind driving a little bit for the better trails but I'd like something that I could do after or before work nearby.

I appreciate any help people could offer, and look forward to seeing you out on the trails!

mtbr member
    Check out www.utahmountainbiking.com - great resource.
    Pitch sounds good. Maybe look at the Reign instead of the Trance if you are looking to mix in a little lift service riding. If you can only have one bike that 5"-6" All Mountain type of bike that seems to be all the rage these days should serve you well.
    As far as what the "cool guys" ride goes not being cool myself I would not know.
    Welcome to Utah - see you on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I did stumble across that, I'll have to add it to my favorites.

One of the major selling points for the Trance vs the Reign is the weight issue. I don't know what the Reign weighs in at, but I'm guessing it's somewhere in the mid to high 30's. The X2 I've seen on a bike scale at 28. Big plus for someone with a smaller frame like mine. I'll have to take a look at it though and see how it compares, but thanks for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I think it depends on your riding style and interests....

...as much as the terrain. I rode my steel hardtail around the Wasatch front until I got a DW-Link Iron Horse 6 yrs. ago. I was pretty happy on the hardtail but immediately appreciated the stability and climbing of the FS bike. I could descend faster, climb in loose shale and rock better, etc. Still, if I wanted to go back to the HT I could find plenty to ride here, and be happy. You will see Freeriders here, dirt jumpers, serious XC'ers and plenty of recreational bikers on the double track on the weekends. The higher trails are still wet and /or snowy (and a storm is due this Sunday & Monday). I think your best bet would be to check out the local terrain on your hardtail, and decide where to go from there. Once things dry out a little after the weekend, you should be able to ride sections of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, or come down to SLC and ride Dry Creek Canyon (also called Dry Gulch) and check out the bobsled (see other posts on this forum). Personally I think a light all mountain/trail bike or a longer travel XC bike is the best for all around riding here. The Trance would be a good bet, but there are many other choices. I only know Bingham's in Ogden, but in SLC I can recommend Guthries (highly) which carries Santa Cruz and Trek, and Go-Ride, which carries Yeti, Turner and Kona. Contender carries Giant and BMC (I demo'd a Trance there last year, but I've never really dealt with them) and Fishers carries Rocky Mountain. (Each of these shops are less than 10 min. from each other, mostly closer, between 900 South and 3300 South, so basically around the Sugarhouse neighborhood). See this site for some great trails:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

Welcome to Utah!

PS: It looks like Go-Ride is now a Giant dealer, too.
    Last edited by dusty; 03-21-2009 at 08:13 AM.

Mar 2007
    enjoytheride, check your MTBR inbox, PM sent
    Last edited by konadownhill; 03-21-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Mar 2007
    In Ogden there is so much riding there is no need to travel. Wheeler, Ice Box, Green Pond and Maples are some of my favorite. Snowbasin and Wolf Mtn have lift access. BST has some very cool offshoots. I would even say that if you know the Ogden area there is as much riding if not more than the SLC area. As for bike shops, Skyline on Washington just south of 5th st, hands down. I sent my email to you if you have any questions as to where these trails can be found. Welcome to Utah

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride
    I did stumble across that, I'll have to add it to my favorites.

One of the major selling points for the Trance vs the Reign is the weight issue. I don't know what the Reign weighs in at, but I'm guessing it's somewhere in the mid to high 30's. The X2 I've seen on a bike scale at 28. Big plus for someone with a smaller frame like mine. I'll have to take a look at it though and see how it compares, but thanks for the suggestion!
    I have a medium reign one and using my bathroom scale it runs about 32 lbs with pedals. The Reign X is heavier. I love my reign it climbs well and has plenty of travel for the technical stuff down here in St George.

Members who have read this thread: 0