mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Weekend staying at Park City, Canyons Village

I'm making a trip to Park City the weekend after Labor Day. I'm staying at the Sundial at Canyons Village. I'm thinking Saturday I'll take the Red Pine Gondola up and get on the Mid Mountain Trail and do an out and back onto the Wasatch Crest Trail. Sound good? Or would I be better off shuttling up to the Crest Trail. I'm fairly fit, and ride 3-4 times a week,but that's basically at sea level.

I understand there are bike rentals right there. I don't need anything too high end, but want something decent. Would renting elsewhere be a better idea? Anyone know what the rental fleet at Canyon Mountain Sports Looks like?

Sunday I think I'll uber or take the bus over to Deer Valley and ride the lifts there. Do they offer lessons over there? That may be a good option for me as I'll be travelling alone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Looks like Canyons Mountain Sports is closed for the season?

mtbr member
    Deer Valley will be open on the weekend only Sept 3-16. There are lots of other places to rent bikes. Google may be your best bet.
    Here are maps of trails.
    Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

It sounds like you don't have a car.
    I - or someone - will give you some recommendations....I'm about to head out the door.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Correct, I won稚 have a car.

mtbr member
    Pedaling from the canyons to Deer Valley is an option too. I frequently finish my ride at the canyons and pedal to DV or PCMR back to my car. It's mostly on a bike path and is a nice warm up/cool down. You could also just hop on the city bus with your bike too.

Quote Originally Posted by Feendog View Post
    Correct, I won稚 have a car.
    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If you want to do the Crest from Red Pine, you'll want to go left(south)
    on Mid Mountain then up Pinecone, then north on the crest, down the crest connector and back down Ricochet. That would be a pretty fun loop.
    If you go up the crest connector, you'll be going south on the crest which is against traffic.

Busses will get you anywhere pretty easily so getting around is no problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonk View Post
    If you want to do the Crest from Red Pine, you'll want to go left(south)
    on Mid Mountain then up Pinecone, then north on the crest, down the crest connector and back down Ricochet. That would be a pretty fun loop.
    If you go up the crest connector, you'll be going south on the crest which is against traffic.

Busses will get you anywhere pretty easily so getting around is no problem.
    Yeah, good loop. Just to clarify, the Crest is two way traffic. You could add the trails at the bottom of the Utah Olympic Park at the beginning and end, if you want a humongous ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    +1 on Nonk's suggested loop route for the crest. If you end up renting a bike in PC rather than the Canyons (Jans, Colesport, Whitepine among others), you can do a similarly lift assisted ride from PCMR using the Crescent lift. The lift will drop you near the Yurt (9000') from there ride up 3 Candles, then Keystone to Shadow Lake Loop, and up the crest connector (dirt road) which takes you to the base of Scott's (Puke) Hill. From the top of Puke hill the rest of the route on the crest and into the Canyons is the same. Just for fun I jumped on PCMRs website to see how much a lift ticket is - $30! I think a shuttle is about the same price, but maybe you can buy a single ride ticket for less than that...I would hope so.

A DV lift day is always fun. They do offer lessons and DH bikes right there at Silver Lake. If you don't really want to ride lifts, there is over 400 miles of singletrack in the PC area so ride options are plentiful. If you're worried about getting lost in the wilderness, it's not really a huge concern in PC. As long as you don't cross over the ridge to SLC, you can almost always just point it downhill and will eventually end up in town or on a main road. You can install the Trailforks app on your phone for extra insurance. If you want some ride suggestions feel free to post what type of trails you like best and I'm sure folks will be able to throw out some great suggestions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks for the replies. I値l make some calls and figure where I知 going to rent a bike. Maybe I値l look for something zi can pick up at Park City, ride some single track via lift or shuttle Saturday, then pedal over to Deer Valley Sunday.

As far as what kind of trails I知 looking for, I guess I would say a variety. Definitely looking to take in the scenery and want to make it up to the Wasatch Crest Trail.

Thanks for all the feedback! I知 getting excited for the trip.

I値l be out there solo and if anyone wants to ride Saturday or Sunday (9/8 or 9/9) please let me know.

Here痴 my a link to my Strava Profie:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/feeneyk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You can also do a bus shuttle, take it up to either Silverlake village or the Montage and get on mid mountain instead. A lot of options from there.

And yes the crest is two way, but with shuttles its about 95% south to north

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You could do this loop with no shuttle or car. Goes right by your lodge. Nice warmup on the road, then a LOT of singletrack.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1745738534
    Puke Hill takes you up to the Wasatch Crest. Enjoy the views there then bomb down Pinecone Ridge. The Crest is really overrated IMO except for the views, one of which you can get from the top of Puke Hill.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    About how many feet of climbing would riding from the top of Crescent Lift to the Wasatch Crest involve? I think I may rent a bike at Jans and then either take the lift at Park City or find a Shuttle. I kind of like the idea of taking the lift; it sounds kind of fun. I wonder if the same ticket will get me a few runs at Canyons at the end of the day if I feel up to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thinking about renting a Santa Cruz Hightower at Jans for both days

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    You could do this loop with no shuttle or car. Goes right by your lodge. Nice warmup on the road, then a LOT of singletrack.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1745738534
    Puke Hill takes you up to the Wasatch Crest. Enjoy the views there then bomb down Pinecone Ridge. The Crest is really overrated IMO except for the views, one of which you can get from the top of Puke Hill.
    Yeah, thanks that might be a bit ambitious. Maybe on an ebike. And meth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonk View Post
    You can also do a bus shuttle, take it up to either Silverlake village or the Montage and get on mid mountain instead. A lot of options from there.

And yes the crest is two way, but with shuttles its about 95% south to north
    I believe the purple bus route that goes from main street to Montage/Empire stops running labor day weekend, so his visit a week later will be a week late for that.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    The crest is worthy. I can see how a local who has ridden it a few dozen times could say it's overrated, but it has never disappointed any of my out of town guests. I think Fox and Rox shuttles does pick ups from the Canyons, and if a lift ticket is really $30, I'm guessing the shuttle will be cheaper. Keep in mind that shuttles from PC will only run on odd days (the shuttles all run from the Salt Lake side on even days to align with bike restrictions in Millcreek Canyon that affect access on the Salt Lake side). I'd guess that you'll end up with total climbing somewhere in the 1200-1600' range from the Crescent lift. As mentioned before, Ricochet is a great option down into the Canyons. It's downhill only so no worries about uphill riders, and the top half is really fun.

If you wanted to loop the crest that is also an option. Take the paved path from Canyons to Armstrong trail head, then Armstrong to Pinecone to the crest (~25mi and 4000' vert).

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I ended up taking the bus to Park City Mountain Base. I rented a bike at Legacy Sports. They gave me a Scott Spark +. Probably should have asked if they had something better. I didn't like it.

Anyway, took the Crescent lift up and rode up 3 candles, shadow lake, Scott's to Wasatch Crest. It was beautiful up there. I had to stop and walk on Scott's and once on the Wasatch trail. I took the Ridge Connector down to Mid Mountain and wound down Ricochet to the base.

I took the Red Pine Gondola up for one more run, so the $30 bike haul ticket got me 2 lift rides. Not terrible.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. Had a blast. Deer Valley tomorrow.
    Weekend staying at Park City, Canyons Village-img_7689.jpg
    Weekend staying at Park City, Canyons Village-img_7690.jpg
    Weekend staying at Park City, Canyons Village-img_7696.jpg
    Weekend staying at Park City, Canyons Village-img_7697.jpg
    Weekend staying at Park City, Canyons Village-strava.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback!
    By "Scott's" I'm guessing you mean the dirt/gravel road to the top. That's "Puke Hill". Aptly named, huh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I知 blaming it on the altitude.