Wasatch Range Trail Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Wasatch Range Trail Recommendations

I'm heading to SLC/Park City for 5 days at the end of June, with the ability to have 1 or 2 days riding. What are the "must do" trails in the area?

I enjoy flowy singletrack, as well as some rocky technical features. I ride for the downhill, and tolerate the uphill. I've done some reading on trails in the area and have taken a liking to the descriptions of the Flying Dog Loop and the Wasatch Crest Trail. Although I like the idea of the Crest Trail, including the views and terrain it's offering, I'm not the most keen on the altitude. I'll be coming from sea level, with minimal acclimation time. Any other trails in the area offer respectable views?

Any advice on these two trails? How long they take to ride? If they're worth a full (6-8 hour day), or half day? Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    If you like the downhills, head to Deer Valley and ride Tidal Wave. One of my favorite rides is to ride up either Jenni's or Armstrong to Mid Mountain over to Tour de Suds or Team Big Bear, up to Tidal Wave and down, then either take Mid Mountain back, or if time constrained, the road through town back to Park City Resort.

The Crest is a good trail, but is a killer climb if you don't have a shuttle. Head up Armstrong, then Pinecone. Head down the crest, take the right fork to go over to Millcreek Canyon, then right again at the fork to head back down to the Canyons Resort. If you're feeling strong, ride Mid Mountain back to PCMR and down Spiro, or ride back on the roads back to PCMR.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Both loops sound pretty awesome. Thanks for the suggestions! How long would you estimate to complete each one?

mtbr member
    The loop from PCMR to Tidal wave is 2-3 hours depending on if you ride Mid Mountain or take the road back to PCMR. The long loop on the crest is probably a good 5 hours if you ride Mid Mountain back to PCMR.

There are tons of trails that fork off Mid Mountain too, and most are really good. If you like super tight single track with lots of roots, head down Johns from Mid Mountain.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    I personally think the Crest is overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's a great ride - but there is an awful lot of boring filler trail in there. Almost the entire traverse portion is pretty meh. The descent into the Canyons can be great if you know where to go, though.

My hit list for "I like descending of all types" would be:
    -Flying Dog.
    -Avenues/Moose Hollow.
    -Collins (can be shuttled)
    -Iron Bill (combine with higher trails at UOP for a bigger descent, can be shuttled)
    -John's/Sweeney's (lift access)
    -Masonic (can be kinda sorta shuttled)
    -Basically everything at the DV bike park (lifts won't be spinning yet, I don't think, but will probably be dry)
    -NCS and whatever that variant is to riders left at DV. Blanking on name. Can be shuttled.

There are a ton of good trails, of course, but those are my favorites.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Flying Dog is an absolute blast to ride, a must do if you are going to be in PC for a day. Wasatch Crest and Mid Mountain are both great trail networks to experience some great views of the area. Deer Valley usually starts lift service around the middle of June, great view from the top, great trail access to several great trails and just a great place to ride.

If you are going to be in SLC, Corner Canyon is a great place to ride on the south side of the valley. Several really good trails that have great views of the city, there arenít very many technical trails to ride but still a good place to ride if the elevation starts to get to you.

mtbr member
    Just be aware that, if you "ride for the downhill and tolerate the uphill" you're looking at significant climbs, all starting higher than the top of Mt Washington, unless you shuttle or ride the lift.

Flying Dog is fantastic....and close to 1800 feet of climbing, I'd guess. pop_martian's recommended loop is great, and about 2400 feet of climbing. The ride from PCMR to the ridge is about 3000 feet of climbing.

Also, though it may be moderate temps, the dry air and altitude will dehydrate you fast.

Just don't be surprised.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Deer Valley bike park will most likely be running by June 15th possibly earlier due to our low snowpack year.

IMO since your time is limited, also fitness/acclimation factor, hit the lifts and grab a shuttle ride.

-Spend a day at Deer Valley and ride the bike park.
    -Do a day pass at PC resort, Crescent lift, surprisingly really fun and overlooked. Access to some of the best trails on the PC side.
    -Hit up Slyfox shuttle service and ride the Crest...The Crest is considered the classic must do Wasatch ride...Going to have the best views. Possibly wont be ready but most likely will due to our low snow pack.

Like others have said there are tons of great rides, but this will give you the best sampling of our trails given your time ...Can get as Gnar or XC as you want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I'll go +1 on Crest (Loop if you have the legs or shuttle if you're worried about elevation) - It's definitely a signature ride for the area. It's popularity detracts from it for me, but if you're in town for the first time I would call it a must do. Flying dog is great, one of my weekday go to rides. It's a great XC ride with a really fun downhill (counterclock). BUT, if you can only get 2 rides in, I have to +1 the Deer Valley suggestion. Either lift it, ride laps or do a big loop from the PCMR parking lot. Pros and cons to each of those options, just depends what you want to get out of your day (e.g., most DH possible and explore what DV has to offer - lift it, want to get some exercise, but still get a couple laps in then park at Silver Lake or on Empire Pass Rd and do 2 or 3 laps, want to get one great DV DH in, plus get a sample of what PCMR has to offer - start at PCMR and ride up). As mentioned, Tidal Wave is a blast - a true Gravity Logic blue jump/flow trail. Holy Roller would be an easier option, and if you like to go big, then Tsunami will be your jam.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The more I look into the suggestions, the more I want to ride them all. I'm probably going to end up with one short ride on day 1, and a longer ride for day 2. Shuttles or lift service is on my radar for day two, more so to cut out some of the climbing...not all of it. Any recommendation on shuttle companies? I was reading about free shuttles on the town bus...thoughts?

Also, found some information on the Bobsled trail in Salt Lake. Considering this one as a short afternoon ride the first day I'm there, the lower elevation caught my eye, and thought it might be a good one to ease into things. Any impressions on this trail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yeah, there are a lot of amazing trails here! For shorter, I would say Flying Dog in PC (shortest version is only 13mi) or Corner Canyon if you want something in the valley. Bobsled is fun, but it's not a destination. It's what I ride when I need to get a quick one in from my work. If Corner Canyon, I would suggest you try to incorporate one or two of the following (for a short option, or all 3 if you want something a little longer): Rush, Vertigo, or Levitate. These are the downhill options, depending on which ones you want to hit, you will have to connect with other trails to get there/return uphill (see Trailforks for maps of connecting trails).