Wasatch Epic 08/24- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Wasatch Epic 08/24

Anyone down for a loooong ride in the Wasatch Front to help this Granny Grinder from Moab celebrate his 53rd b-day. Am planning the following ride on Sat, Aug 24 starting from Little Dell Reservoir at 6:00am:

- up the Morman trail to Big Mtn Pass and down to East Canyon road
    - East Canyon road to 24/7
    - 24/7 to Flying Dog-Cobblestone-Glenwild to Spring Creek Trailhead
    - Frontage Road/hwy 224 3 miles to Rob's Trail
    - Rob's to Mid Mtn
    - across Mid Mtn and climb up to the Crest Trail via CMG-Apex-Keystone-Shadow Lake-Puke Hill
    - Crest to Mill Creek via Great Western and Dog Lake
    - down Mill Creek to Pipe Line
    - Pipe Line to finish??

I figure the ride will be around 75 miles, a whole bunch of vertical, and take around 12 to 13 hours. I'm not the fastest endurance rider, but I do have great staying power. So if anyone is interested in spinning along send me an email [email protected]

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Ooooohh. . .

Wish I could. Good times for sure!

Just a suggestion for something I've been thinking of. Once you finish the loop around Flying Dog, Cobblestone, Glenwild -- loop back around to Jeremy Ranch and cross over to Pinebrook and take the West Perimeter trail to Trail of the Hunter to MidMountain.

I've got a map of the Pinebrook trails if you're interested.

Have a great ride. I may be doing the North Umpqua Trail around that same time so I'll think of you.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the great suggestion. Always looking to add a little more dirt. I would be very interested in a map. I've been to Pinebrook three times trying to figure out the trail system and each time I only get more confused. I was out there last weekend and it does appear they are now ok with aliens cruising around the perimeter trails.

Luddite technophile
    It'll reduce your miles, but if it were me, when I got to Big Mt. Pass, I'd take the trail down Little Emigration Canyon, instead of East Canyon Road.

If that's not enough for you, then instead, from Big Mt. Pass go up to Bald Mountain, then to the Radio Towers above Parley's, then down to Jeremy Ranch. This will put you almost directly across the road from 24/7.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Yeah, that's a nice option too. . .

. . . incredible views and a "way out there" feeling. Rough riding though. If you're a purist and trying to stay away from roads as much as possible, that's the way to go.

Send me your email and I'll send you the map.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kgginslc
    It'll reduce your miles, but if it were me, when I got to Big Mt. Pass, I'd take the trail down Little Emigration Canyon, instead of East Canyon Road.

If that's not enough for you, then instead, from Big Mt. Pass go up to Bald Mountain, then to the Radio Towers above Parley's, then down to Jeremy Ranch. This will put you almost directly across the road from 24/7.
    Thanks for the input.

Yea, I plan to continue down the Mormon Trail to East Cny Rd. And that is plenty for me given the length of this ride. I'll pass on Bald Mtn for this ride, the climbing really kicks my ass (steep, rocky and loose), and the false summits are demoralizing. When I compare that with the great downhill down the Morman Trail, it's a no-brainer for this geezer.

Luddite technophile
    Quote Originally Posted by cstuttle
    Thanks for the input.

Yea, I plan to continue down the Mormon Trail to East Cny Rd. And that is plenty for me given the length of this ride. I'll pass on Bald Mtn for this ride, the climbing really kicks my ass (steep, rocky and loose), and the false summits are demoralizing. When I compare that with the great downhill down the Morman Trail, it's a no-brainer for this geezer.
    After I wrote that, I wondered whether I hadn't mis-interpreted your plan.

The whole deal sounds like too much for me (would that it were not), but since it seemed you were going for the max, I thought, why not.

I agree that the Bald Mt. ride/walk is tough. I did it a couple months ago and haven't steeled myself to do it again - maybe once a year is enough. However, the views are great, and I didn't see another soul on the trail from Big Mt. Pass all the way to Jeremy Ranch.

Also, the horned lizards on the ridgetops always make me smile.

Grizzly
    Craig, if you are up here a week earlier (this Saturday, the 16th) there is this option:

http://wasatchclassic.blogspot.com
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    Craig, if you are up here a week earlier (this Saturday, the 16th) there is this option:

http://wasatchclassic.blogspot.com
    Thanks for that info. I'll check it out, but still plan to do the ride I have posted. I have been wanting to do this ride for a few years, and a big realization for me when I turned 50 was that it is time to stop talking about it and to start doing it. It's that bucket list thing. Are you doing the Wasatch Classic?

Grizzly
    Are you doing the Wasatch Classic?
    Yessir!
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    That's a great ride covering pretty much the best of the area in one day. Last Sunday I did it almost exactly as you described with a few differences. I started at my house in SLC rode up Emigration Cyn to Little Mtn Trail, to Affleck Park, up and over MPT towards Jeremy Ranch, down the dirt road to 24/7 and to Spring Creek TH, up the Canyons to MM, over to PCMR up to Crest and home via Upper Millcreek and Pipeline.

It ended up being 82 miles and about 13 hours to give you an idea of time and mileage, but I didn't ride Flying Dog. I also had to wait for a Thunderstorm to clear out for about an hour before I could climb Puke Hill. Ending a huge ride with the Crest is a no brainer

Happy Birthday, have fun

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedeber

Happy Birthday, have fun
    Thanks - I'm really getting excited for the ride. I was contemplating doing it from where I'm staying in SLC, but thought it better just to deal with the trail portion first and maybe next year do it as you described. I agree that the combo of trails covers pretty much the best of the area, and I also think those trails are some of the best I've ridden anywhere. Would love to have you join me for the ride if you are interested.

Craig

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    Yessir!
    WOW!!!!! - 20,000 vert. That's a bit steep for me so I'll have to pass on this one, but thanks for the heads up and info. And I was wondering if you are the same Adam that was riding with Tom Purvis last spring at the Moab Rim Ride. If so we met towards the end on Poison Spider.

Craig

Grizzly
    WOW!!!!! - 20,000 vert. That's a bit steep for me so I'll have to pass on this one, but thanks for the heads up and info. And I was wondering if you are the same Adam that was riding with Tom Purvis last spring at the Moab Rim Ride. If so we met towards the end on Poison Spider.

Craig
    Yep that was me.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

~Ed Abbey

Members who have read this thread: 0