Wasatch Crest shuttles on "odd" days- Mtbr.com
    No mames guey

Wasatch Crest shuttles on "odd" days

It looks like I'm going to be in SLC this weekend for the Van Halen show. I wanted to find a shuttle to the Wasatch Cresh on Sunday 7/19, but Big Rack Shuttles in only running on even days. What are the other options for getting a ride this "odd" Sunday?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    They run shuttles on odd days, but only from the Park City side, OR from Mill-D in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Mill Creek Canyon is heavily used, and there are restrictions so that it's relatively peaceful. If guys keep bombing the canyon on even days, those days will be restricted also.

But on odd days people do the Crest, but then drop down to either Park City or Canyons, on the East side of the mountains where it's open all the time.

You can also do a shorter version and drop down Mill-D in Big Cottonwood Canyon. I personally prefer the trails in the Park City and Deer Valley area, over any Crest run. It's only 25 min from here, and no shuttle needed.
    Last edited by UtahJohn; 07-17-2015 at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Fox & Rox shuttles is a startup that used to be a part of Big Rack, but is now doing it's own thing currently but on a slightly smaller scale.
    The van can take 4-5 bikes/people at a time and he is very flexible on schedule.

Slyfox Phone: 801-560-9804

He is currently working on building a client base and is shuttling for FREE for now. (I would suggest a healthy tip to help with gas money up and down the canyon.)

Give him a call or shoot him a text and I bet he can get you set up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    still can't ride in millcreek on odd days, shuttle or not...just sayin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    still can't ride in millcreek on odd days, shuttle or not...just sayin.
    True, but Crest down Mill D is a great ride even on odd numbered days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    if you're into that sort of thing. which lots of people are. drive time > ride time.

Frame Building Moderator
    It baffles me that people don't just shuttle from the PC side. Then you can finish with Crest/MM connector and Holly's/Ambush/Ricochet/Rob's/UOP/etc, all of which are WAY more fun than the meh stuff in MillCreek.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    It baffles me that people don't just shuttle from the PC side. Then you can finish with Crest/MM connector and Holly's/Ambush/Ricochet/Rob's/UOP/etc, all of which are WAY more fun than the meh stuff in MillCreek.

-Walt
    no way MillCreek is where its at, everyone should continue to go down there. PC sucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post

-Walt
    Walt,

Years ago, I lived in SLC for 20 years. Coached ski racing at the U of U from 1976 to 1981. Got my first real ride in on the Wasatch Crest trail back in 1987. Then, we use to climb out of Guardsman's Pass up the uber/sick mine road, ending at the bottom of Millcreek Canyon. It wasn't until sometime in the early 90's they went to Odd/Even days. Is this in effect for the PC area? If so, which days are restricted?

Coming to PC to ride with my son who lives in SLC and friends from here in October. Would like to do the Crest again without doing the old version of the ride. Where would we start and end in PC? We're all in good shape, but will now have to contend with altitude. Out here on the coast of Nor Cal we ride 15-20 miles/day 3 to 4 times a week. I have been back to PC twice in the last three years riding in Round Valley and also climbed under the Pay Day lift to top. Our friends who are joining us have never ridden in the PC area. All capable riders with a lust for fun and new. Look forward to any recommendations you might have.

Thank you,
    Roo

mtbr member
    The Crest to PC ride is pretty fun. Take the shuttle from Jans in PC, they drop you at Guardsman. Ride the Crest to the connector trail, and then drop down your choice of downhill trails at the Canyons resort. My favorite is Red Coat to Insurgent down to Canyons base. The only drag is that you have to ride the paved trails and/or road back to Jans (about 4 miles). Makes for about 18 miles.

Of course, you could come back up the mid-mountain trail and come down at PCMR (Spiro or something up there; I haven't ridden that section of mid-mountain much, I'm sure there are better options). But then you wouldn't get the fun downhill section at Canyons.

The Guardsman to Mill D ride is pretty fun, too. It is shorter than Mill Creek, but I think that the Desolation Lake to Mill D section is more fun than the Crest and Mill Creek side. Also, it is short enough to 'self-shuttle' if you have 2 cars, only about 15 minutes of driving. Edit -- 15 minutes each way, I should say.
    Last edited by Tystevens; 07-27-2015 at 01:26 PM.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    The Crest to PC ride is pretty fun. Take the shuttle from Jans in PC, they drop you at Guardsman. Ride the Crest to the connector trail, and then drop down your choice of downhill trails at the Canyons resort. My favorite is Red Coat to Insurgent down to Canyons base. The only drag is that you have to ride the paved trails and/or road back to Jans (about 4 miles). Makes for about 18 miles.

Of course, you could come back up the mid-mountain trail and come down at PCMR (Spiro or something up there; I haven't ridden that section of mid-mountain much, I'm sure there are better options). But then you wouldn't get the fun downhill section at Canyons.

The Guardsman to Mill D ride is pretty fun, too. It is shorter than Mill Creek, but I think that the Desolation Lake to Mill D section is more fun than the Crest and Mill Creek side. Also, it is short enough to 'self-shuttle' if you have 2 cars, only about 15 minutes of driving.
    Thank you for this suggestion. Does this avoid the dreaded Puke Hill? One of the worst short climbs I can remember especially after one has had a night of one beer too many.

mtbr member
    Nope, you hit puke hill on any ride from Guardsman. Well, any ride that I've done -- there does seem to be a trail that drops off at the junction of the Scotts Connector and Puke Hill, but I haven't been down that trail.

It isn't really that bad, only 400 ft elevation gain. I do what most do -- pedal for a bit, and then work my calf muscles for a few minutes (ie, walk!). FWIW, according to Garmin and Strava, my elevation gain for the Guardsman to Canyons ride is about 1200 ft., which includes Puke Hill, the red hill, and a couple other short climbs.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member

400' in 0.5 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Nope, you hit puke hill on any ride from Guardsman. Well, any ride that I've done -- there does seem to be a trail that drops off at the junction of the Scotts Connector and Puke Hill, but I haven't been down that trail.

It isn't really that bad, only 400 ft elevation gain. I do what most do -- pedal for a bit, and then work my calf muscles for a few minutes (ie, walk!). FWIW, according to Garmin and Strava, my elevation gain for the Guardsman to Canyons ride is about 1200 ft., which includes Puke Hill, the red hill, and a couple other short climbs.
    Thanks for your help here. I remember that climb all too well. My old friend, Pat Miller (RIP), would hurl breakfast every time. My girl friend at the time (wife now) would experience severe uterine cramps. At least then, I was acclimated to SLC elevation. I would ride it but paid for it too. Absolutely still think the Crest trail is one of the all time best rides ever. 400 feet in 0.5 miles at 8300'(?) is giving me goose bumps already. I best break out the hyperbolic chamber. Got any EPOs?

mtbr member
    Oh, it's a bit higher than 8300 at the top. Top of Puke Hill is about 9800 ft, if my Garmin is right, at least! Not to cause any anxiety ...

What I meant by not that bad was, it sucks but it is over quickly!

And I agree with you about the Crest. One of my favorite rides anywhere. Only downside is that there is probably a LOT more traffic on the trail now than you saw when you lived here. Honestly, it can be a bit of a zoo on the weekends.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    May 2010
    RootHarris - If you don't want to mess with a shuttle and you're up for some climbing, I would start at Canyons, ride the bike path to Park City Mountain Resort, ride up Armstrong, then up Pinecone to the top (puts you at the top of Puke hill). Pinecone is a nice climb and nowhere as steep as Puke. Then ride Crest down and end up at the Canyons. I believe just under 30 miles and 5k ft climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just text Sly, he does free (tips) shuttles any day, any time and from either SLC or PC side, and he knows all the trails on both sides as well as anyone.