mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Wasatch Crest Map

I’m fulfilling a dream to ride Wasatch Crest for my 50th birthday (and bringing a relative with). Using FoxnRox for the shuttle. I can’t figure out what the actual route is—there are numerous routes on Trailforks, alltrails and other sites, but none that definitively indicate they are the shuttle trail.

FoxnRox was entirely unhelpful—their response to my text was “google it” (as if I hadn’t?). I guess your $32 doesn’t get you much by way of service...

Can anyone help me get a hold of a map, GPX, or even just tell me which trail on Trailforks or alltrails is the one I need? Thanks!

John O
    Layton

mtbr member
    If you go here, Mountain Trails Foundation - Map select "interactive maps", "summer", and zoom in on "Guardsman pass road".

I've never used a shuttle service for it, but I believe you'll be dropped off at "Scotts bypass". Take that to the dirt road on the map, AKA "Puke Hill". Then onto "Wasatch Crest South" and "Wasatch Crest North" (unless you're heading down "Millcreek"). From there, you just have to decide where you want to descend. Usually, "Ridge Connector" to one of several options.

I sometimes just climb up from "Robs" to "Ambush" to "Ridge connector" and then go south and down Puke back on midmountain, but it's a pretty long ride. The other direction, Sweeny's-John's-Tommy Two Step- Shadow Lake Loop-Puke (or up Armstrong-Pinecone) and down the connector and back to PCMR to avoid the need for a shuttle.

Are you starting from Millcreek or Park City?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    If you go here, Mountain Trails Foundation - Map select "interactive maps", "summer", and zoom in on "Guardsman pass road".
    Are you starting from Millcreek or Park City?
    Thanks so much for the info, I'll dig in on this. I'm starting from Millcreek.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    OK so I get it now. Since we are shuttling from Mill Creek, we will have a relatively short ride (about 12 mi total) and have to descend one of just a few ways down to Mill Creek Canyon. Had we shuttled from Park City, looks like there are plenty of options for a much longer ride. I’ll keep that in mind for future rides.

Thanks so much—I will graph a gpx, punch this into my GPS and keep that on the handlebars. If we can keep things “rubber side down,” should be a great ride. With my brother in law coming in from out of town, 12 mi should be plenty for him, and it leaves me with a thirst for something a bit longer next time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    The shuttled ride is longer going to Millcreek than PC. If you loop it from PC it is 25+ miles depending on your descent route. I haven't shuttled in years so I don't know the exact mileage, but I gotta think it's more than 12. Regardless, if you're getting dropped at Guardsman, it's longer to ride to the base of Millcreek Canyon than to PCMR (unless you ride midmountain all the way back to PCMR) and you get more descent (base of Millcreek is about 4900' while the base of PCMR is about 6500'). The shuttle version is fun, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Here's a basic run down of the route: Scott's bypass to Puke, Puke to Crest, Crest to Great Western, Great Western to Big Water, Big Water to Millcreek Road, Road to Pipeline.

mtbr member
    Here is a link to a time I rode the "classic" Crest route. Had to go back because I usually do various offshoot routes.
    It's about 24 miles total for the ride where Fox n Rox will drop you off.

One variation on this ride was that I went down the Little Water trail instead of staying on the Big Water Trail. Little Water is shorter and steeper with water-bars while Big Water isn't as steep and flows more, but both end up at the road/parking near the top of Millcreek.

https://www.strava.com/activities/350509204

Great plan for your 50th!! I did Monarch Crest for my 50th and Wasatch Crest a day later.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Padlz View Post
    The shuttled ride is longer going to Millcreek than PC. If you loop it from PC it is 25+ miles depending on your descent route. I haven't shuttled in years so I don't know the exact mileage, but I gotta think it's more than 12.
    I should have been clearer - it's about 12 miles on dirt, then we hit Millcreek Canyon. Overall it's likely the 25 miles you remember.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Bill - thanks for the Strava link.

Thanks all for the info and quick responses.

mtbr member
    There only has to be about 3 miles of pavement between the top millcreek parking lot and where you can jump onto the Pipeline trail at Elbow fork. (They have actually just opened a 3/4 mile part that goes from the Big Water parking lot and meets the road just a bit lower) Then you're dirt again for another 7 or so miles, but it's pretty peddaly dirt except for a couple sections that are more downhill.

Ok, then another mile or so out of the canyon to where you will be parked for the shuttle.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    To be clear, once you pop out at the parking lot in Millcreek canyon (end of the pavement if you are driving up the canyon and end of the singletrack when coming off the crest) you have 2 options:

1. Bomb down the canyon on the road.

2. Descend a bit on the road then hop on the pipeline trail that will take you to the bottom of the canyon.

If you are burnt or in a rush, go with option 1.

If you want more singletrack go with option 2.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Awesome - that makes sense. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Today my Crest ride was cut short because of a mechanical. So EZ to bypass Pipeline and just roll the road.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If you're gonna shuttle you oughta think about doing the WOW trail instead of or in addition to the Crest. Much more fun IMO and almost all downhill with some outstanding views, albeit maybe not QUITE as good as the Crest views. But the Crest really only has a mile or so of fun riding with a lot of "meh" and a lot of jeep road.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    If you're gonna shuttle you oughta think about doing the WOW trail instead of or in addition to the Crest. Much more fun IMO and almost all downhill with some outstanding views, albeit maybe not QUITE as good as the Crest views. But the Crest really only has a mile or so of fun riding with a lot of "meh" and a lot of jeep road.
    Respectfully.... not sure I could disagree with this any more than I do...
    Was super Un-Wowed by WOW after riding it a couple times as a shuttle. Never done it from the bottom as an out and back, but feel like I'd be seriously ticked off about climbing that much vertical with the WOW downhill as the payoff.
    Guess that's why there are different trails, because we all enjoy different things.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    The other direction, Sweeny's-John's-Tommy Two Step- Shadow Lake Loop-Puke (or up Armstrong-Pinecone) and down the connector and back to PCMR to avoid the need for a shuttle.
    Out of curiosity, I was recently in Park City staying at Marriott Mountainside. I rode up Armstrong and Pinecone, the Wasatch Crest to Midmountain to Holly’s and back on the road to the Marriott. I had never been to Park City so I just looked at Trailforks and MTB Project apps.

We liked Park City so much that we’re trying to buy an every-other-year timeshare at the Marriott so that we can go back regularly.

My question is: did I ride the best part of Wasatch Crest trail? I prefer singletrack over fireroad whenever possible. When we go back, should I be looking to ride other sections of the trail. It’s a huge bonus for me to be able to ride from the condo and not mess with driving/shuttles etc. That way my husband can sleep in, have use of the car, etc. But if the shuttle gives me a better one way ride, I’d do it (vs riding the loop that I did).

BTW I was very happy with what I rode, I thought Wasatch Crest was one of the most beautiful trails I’ve ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    My question is: did I ride the best part of Wasatch Crest trail? I prefer singletrack over fireroad whenever possible. When we go back, should I be looking to ride other sections of the trail. It’s a huge bonus for me to be able to ride from the condo and not mess with driving/shuttles etc. That way my husband can sleep in, have use of the car, etc. But if the shuttle gives me a better one way ride, I’d do it (vs riding the loop that I did).

BTW I was very happy with what I rode, I thought Wasatch Crest was one of the most beautiful trails I’ve ever ridden.

Yes, you did the best parts of the Crest. That's pretty much the way I ride it. There are lot's of variations for the descent down after you reach Mid-mountain, but the route you took is up on the list. I might recommend trying Ricochet (downhill only and flowier) instead of Holly's next time, but other than that you nailed it. If you wanted a longer ride with another 1000' or so of climbing you could stay on Mid-mountain all the way back to PCMR using Spiro as your descent which ties back in with Armstrong at the bottom. Other (and less recommended) options are to head north on Mid-mountain from the Ridge Connector junction towards either Ambush or the Utah Olympic Park and descend. Those options will add mileage (without adding vertical) but they take you away from PC town so you'll have more road riding at the end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padlz View Post
    Yes, you did the best parts of the Crest. That's pretty much the way I ride it. There are lot's of variations for the descent down after you reach Mid-mountain, but the route you took is up on the list. I might recommend trying Ricochet (downhill only and flowier) instead of Holly's next time, but other than that you nailed it. If you wanted a longer ride with another 1000' or so of climbing you could stay on Mid-mountain all the way back to PCMR using Spiro as your descent which ties back in with Armstrong at the bottom. Other (and less recommended) options are to head north on Mid-mountain from the Ridge Connector junction towards either Ambush or the Utah Olympic Park and descend. Those options will add mileage (without adding vertical) but they take you away from PC town so you'll have more road riding at the end.
    Thanks. On our trip (we were in Park City for a week), we got a one-day "adventure pass" which included bike haul at Park City and the Canyons. So two days before the Wasatch Crest ride, my husband and I drove over to the Canyons and took the gondola up. He just did the scenic RT on the gondola, but I brought my bike and rode from the Canyons back to Park City mtn via Mid Mountain and then I went down Spiro and Armstrong as you describe. I thought that was the hardest section of Mid Mountain that I rode all week (I think I rode it all between the gondola at the Canyons and Deer Valley over a few rides).

On Wasatch Crest day, I left my plan loose, one option was to descend into the Canyons and come back on the road as I did. The other, if I was feeling sparky, was to come back via Mid Mountain. It was my last ride of the week and I wasn't feeling sparky, so I went back via the road.

We just heard today that our purchase on the timeshare unit at Marriott Mountainside was approved by Marriott. Once things get finalized in a few weeks, we'll own a summer week, every other year, in a 2BR condo at the Marriott. Our next usage of that ownership will be the summer of 2020. We're pretty stoked, I loved the riding in Park City and we both really liked the Marriott and the town.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    Thanks. On our trip (we were in Park City for a week), we got a one-day "adventure pass" which included bike haul at Park City and the Canyons. So two days before the Wasatch Crest ride, my husband and I drove over to the Canyons and took the gondola up. He just did the scenic RT on the gondola, but I brought my bike and rode from the Canyons back to Park City mtn via Mid Mountain and then I went down Spiro and Armstrong as you describe. I thought that was the hardest section of Mid Mountain that I rode all week (I think I rode it all between the gondola at the Canyons and Deer Valley over a few rides).

On Wasatch Crest day, I left my plan loose, one option was to descend into the Canyons and come back on the road as I did. The other, if I was feeling sparky, was to come back via Mid Mountain. It was my last ride of the week and I wasn't feeling sparky, so I went back via the road.

We just heard today that our purchase on the timeshare unit at Marriott Mountainside was approved by Marriott. Once things get finalized in a few weeks, we'll own a summer week, every other year, in a 2BR condo at the Marriott. Our next usage of that ownership will be the summer of 2020. We're pretty stoked, I loved the riding in Park City and we both really liked the Marriott and the town.
    Next time you're there, do the Mid Mountain trail the opposite way, from PC over to the Canyons and down Ricochet. That ride around Iron Mountain on Mid Mountain the way you did it is a beating. Long, gradual climb on super loose shale and over embedded rocks. Much more fun the opposite direction, you can really go fast on that stuff. And Ricochet down is WAY better than Spiro, etc.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    This was such an awesome ride, I can't believe I waited so long to do it! Thanks for the tips everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by johno_slc View Post
    This was such an awesome ride, I can't believe I waited so long to do it! Thanks for the tips everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Glad you enjoyed it. Your first time, but hopefully not your last!