Wasatch Crest Guide Needed Monday!- Mtbr.com
    Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004

Wasatch Crest Guide Needed Monday!

I'm riding the Wasatch Crest Trail tomorrow morning, i.e. Monday, May 21, as early as I can get out there from I-15 and 215. I don't know exactly where I'm going and am relying on info from the trail review on this site and a couple others. I have to check out of my motel by noon and would like to get a shower in before hitting the road again.

I'm an advanced skilled rider with an intermediate fitness level. I don't usually ride at altitude, but I've spent past four days in CO at 8,800 and 6K feet.

If anyone is riding tomorrow and wouldn't mind showing me around, I'd be grateful...and I'd buy you an early lunch and beer.

Email me at dewayne @ talontrails.com (w/o the spaces) or call my cell at 512-797-RIDE (7433.) If you're out there and see someone getting ready at a brown Nissan Frontier with bikes and stuff in the bed of the truck, that's me.

Thanks,

Dewayne

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    You do know that it's under snow, right? Well, I suppose I could be wrong, but it's darned likely. The road to Guardsman (from Big Cottonwood Canyon) was impassible last Saturday when Chuky did a road ride up there. And the MillCreek/Big Water side was still covered in snow for the last 1/4 mile or so 10 days ago...

Anyone have more recent info?

JMH

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    You do know that it's under snow, right?
    After I posted this thread, I started the same on Passion and realized that it might be under snow before I posted there. Damn.

What other local trail should I hit up?

D

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    After I posted this thread, I started the same on Passion and realized that it might be under snow before I posted there. Damn.

D
    I can't confirm but I think you're going to be out of luck on the Crest, similar location/elevation as Snowbird and I believe they just had their last ski day today.

Not sure what kind of schedule you're on but you could drive up to Park City, things melt off a lot sooner up there and from what I hear plenty of good trails are open. As far as local stuff goes, the Shoreline trail is probably your best bet for a decent length ride. I'm planning to ride a Dry Creek/Bobsled loop tomorrow morning but it will be a quicky as I have to be at work at noon so I'll be finishing up by 10:30ish at the latest. You're welcome to join me but it will probably only be 1.5 hours on trail tops. Post up on here if you have any interest or just be at Popperton Park at 9.

utahmountainbiking.com might help out if you're stuck doing something self guided, lots of SLC and PC stuff with maps and typically more detailed than the mtbr reviews
    Last edited by catch22; 05-20-2007 at 10:01 PM.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti

D
    People may try to convince you the crest is "dry" and I have read accounts stating this (same accounts saying it was dry were also saying at the same time "there were a few patches of snow", snow = dry???), but as someone who hopes to ride a buffed non-rutted version of the crest all summer I'm gonna say it's covered with snow and don't bother trying it just yet.

As for an alternate ride at altitude. We rode at PC Sat and had a great ride. Climbed Spiro, to mid-mountian, to johns, to ???, than down sweeneys. It's about 12 miles and a good fun ride. No snow and no wet sections to rut up.

Thanks,
    B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    catch22,

I'm only in town for the morning. Thanks for the advice & invitation to ride with you.

Boris,

I don't want to ride a wet trail, so no worries there. I'll see if I can find Spiro, etc.

Dewayne

Members who have read this thread: 0