mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Wasatch Crest

Is wasach crest doable yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson3823
    Is wasach crest doable yet?
    What aspect of the recent weather history makes you believe, in any way, that the Crest would be dry and ready to ride? You in some sort of hurry?

Wet trail =

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    In all seriousness, this topic has been previously covered in another thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=619600

Have fun up there!

1/4 semi-pro
    nelson i wont have a chance to clear off the crest trail until around thursday maybe even friday. right now i'm halfway down the humdinger and have removed most of the large snow drifts, lost ski poles and the humdinger trail itself completely free of snow but its not quite rideable yet. after my dad finishes up breakfast we're going to head back up in his deuce and a half with 7 fifty gallon drums of diesel fuel to melt all the snow above the trail to keep it from making the humdinger muddy. i think that by friday it will all be dry.

i think that once we are able to allow the humdinger to dry out we will then tackle the crest trail as i like to ride that one too sometimes. i am just waiting for a special shovel for the bobcat to arrive this week and then my dad and it will begin to clear it off. i have a dentist appointment on wednsday so i can't plan any trail work then and will probably jump on the trampoline with my brother and take it ewasy.

sometimes i could use some help carrying and rolling the diesle through the snow to melt it. it's pretty easy to do as you just tip it over and let it spill out then light it. i can melt an acre in about 20 minutes usually if none of the trees catch on fire. give me your number and we can go up later thisweek and ride the crest!
    not anti-bobsled

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingBear
    What aspect of the recent weather history makes you believe, in any way, that the Crest would be dry and ready to ride? You in some sort of hurry?

Wet trail =
    I think it's odd and pretty uncalled for when people jump to scold others for asking about a trail that may be unrideable....or one that may be ... gasp....wet.

It's nice out - they're anxious - that is ok.

To answer the question - I think a safe bet is July 1 before it's totally ready. I was up there a couple weeks ago just for a drive and it wasn't even close. But once it starts melting, it goes fast. (I think it was good to go by mid/late June last year if I remember right).

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I'm certain it was in response to all of the Crest Trail questions/threads that will soon follow:

-What tires are best for the Crest?
    -I'm driving through from Michigan with my wife and kids and want to ride the Crest.
    -What flavor of banana Cliff shot is best for the Crest?
    -What rise handlebars is best for the Crest?
    -What shade of Smith lens is best for the Crest at 2:03pm on August 12th?

We all know the Humdinger makes the Crest seem like a BJ from a tranny vampire.

Edit: Disregard that last part. Didn't notice the Specialized Enduro action going on in profile mode. Supposedly Chumley is going to install booby traps along the Humdinger that are tripped by a red S on the headtube to keep the riff raff out. Yeah, the Crest is fun.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 06-08-2010 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Wow

I did not realize there were so many ass wipes that hung out on this board. I'm not from the area, and have never tried the trail in the early summer.

Thanks for being so hospitable.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I did not realize there were so many ass wipes that hung out on this board. I'm not from the area, and have never tried the trail in the early summer.

Shucks, don't take it personal, we have possibly the most useless regional forum on MTBR.

And I have to admit I find it endearing. But I get most of the jokes.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

I'm almost certain you weren't refering to me and definitely not Pee-Town.

You'll soon realize that Chumley is the only one here who can be trusted 100%. I think it stems from years of being around a father, who despite being the best griller (not to be confused with BBQ'er) around also instilled a strict sense of moral and positivity that has not been seen since the likes of Ghandi.
    You could punch the guy in the mouth then slip, fall and sprain your ankle right afterwards and he would splint your ankle without batting an eye.
    PM him if you want the real beta.

Talentless Hack

A more hospitable forum concerning trail conditions can be found at:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UM...2558dceb28026d

This forum is more of a free form comedy "jam" than anything resembling a useful constructive discussion group. I find it entertaining but a complete waste of time.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Thanks uh...IdiotBoy, for posting the UTMTB forum - I didn't realize it was there. And yeah, it IS actually useful - I found a post right off the bat about AF Canyon...which is exactly what I was looking for last weekend.

This forum is completely worthless for UT - there seems to be ..... four people here that regularly post and it's always filled with lame inside jokes that no one gets but...well, those three of four. Far from endearing as someone above said (and why should you have to PM someone to actually get legit info?)

This is above and beyond, the weirdest state in the US I've lived in.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Someone's got their panties in a wad.

Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto
    This forum is completely worthless for UT - there seems to be ..... four people here that regularly post and it's always filled with lame inside jokes that no one gets but...well, those three of four. Far from endearing as someone above said (and why should you have to PM someone to actually get legit info?)

Yeah you're definitely onto something. I mean what would this forum be like without those 4 lame people other than Thread after Thread of the exact same question:

What tires for Moab?

And I doubt after he reads this that Chumley will be responding to any of your PM's. He's nice but he doesn't like it when others bash his friends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    why should you have to PM someone to actually get legit info?
    Well, the answer to that should be quite obvious. But, if you really don't know, PM me and I'll PM you back the answer. . . Then we'll both have PMS.

Time well wasted.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    Well, the answer to that should be quite obvious. But, if you really don't know, PM me and I'll PM you back the answer. . . Then we'll both have PMS.

Time well wasted.
    I really hate it when we're both on the same cycle (pun intended).

BTW, you look really fat right now. You always take on so much water weight it's really not that sexy.

You know, just sayin.

God, I can't stop crying.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Thanks uh...IdiotBoy, for posting the UTMTB forum - I didn't realize it was there. And yeah, it IS actually useful - I found a post right off the bat about AF Canyon...which is exactly what I was looking for last weekend.

Not to beat a dead horse again and again, but it seems a little odd that you'd post up how worthless this forum is yet you've been lurking here all morning long. I see that little username of your peeking out between the others here.

It is what it is and apparently you're hooked.

Just saying.

mtbr member
    I'm with MOTO on this one...we can't stand for sarcasm or misinformation hurting the fine reputation of internet forums. Next thing you'll tell me is that wikipedia may not be 100% reliable or my new friend in NIgeria won't send me free $ even though I posted my checking account info !!! Gotta go check my balance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Shucks, don't take it personal, we have possibly the most useless regional forum on MTBR.
    Its true, I didnt realize it untill I was planning a trip to AZ, I went to their regional forum and they greeted me at the door, took my coat, gave me some house slippers and we all sipped on chamomile whilst discussing trails and travel related logistics.

Utah is like easter Peeps. Everybody hates on them but we all know that we all have a secret stash of those friendly little marshmellow chics hiding in our closets in open boxes, ageing to that perfect degree of staleness when they will be ready for us to bite into that crunchy, sugary exoskeleton and into the soft chewy center, enjoying every moment of the half hour it takes to chew that one bite before we shut them back into the closet and go back to publicly declaring that we hate easter peeps.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Discernably Turgid

I would venture to say that Utah probably has the most discernably turgid regional forum. You know something serious is going on here, it's just not entirely evident.

I'll let Kevin Costner explain 'discernably turgid' for any visitors.

Chumley for prez!
    I did not realize there were so many ass wipes that hung out on this board.
    ahhh shucks, you're so sweet Here's a unicorn:

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    Its true, I didnt realize it untill I was planning a trip to AZ, I went to their regional forum and they greeted me at the door, took my coat, gave me some house slippers and we all sipped on chamomile whilst discussing trails and travel related logistics.
    SLCRMR used to be involved in "hospitality" which mostly entailed hot-stone massages with or without happy endings, but he's been slipping.

All sarcasm aside, the Utah forum used to be more informative than it is. However it has become a cycle of the same posts every year...if you don't believe me do some research. It feels like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. So if the OP, and any other poster for that matter, is willing to do a little research...well you know.

I have an actual useful suggestion for the mods (shock and awe)...How about a Utah FAQ sticky with all questions related to Utah and the consensus answers amongst the "Utah a$$holes"...here's a start:
    1. When will the crest be "doable" whatever that means? Beginning of July is a safe bet every damn year, yet this question is asked about this time every year with the same result as you see here.
    2. What tires are best for (insert random Utah trail here)? I like blue ones...tires are kind of a personal thing aren't they?
    3. What is it like to live in Utah? terrible, go to colorado
    4. Where to stay in (pick a Utah city that has trails)? I don't know, check the phone book or trip advisor....hell if you can't figure out how to book a place to stay then we're in pretty bad shape
    5. Which is better mid mountain or the crest?
    6. Is bobsled dry?
    7. Can I drink beer in Utah?
    8. Oh yeah, almost forgot, Where is the best place to live in the SLC valley? Next door to Jib, his mom makes great biscuits.

I mean it is just a comedy of questions around here so maybe you can understand why this forum has turned into such a joke. How about a little originality? We all get bored with the same old crap, even Easter peeps.

mtbr member
    We all get bored with the same old crap, even Easter peeps.
    Well you can't let them get too old.

What do people who are too cool for school do during school?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    Well you can't let them get too old.

What do people who are too cool for school do during school?
    I think they lurk on this forum and hope the become part of the 'in' crowd after they graduate.

I'm not a Peeps fan (shocking, I know) and even less a fan of Easter (even more shocking), but a friend of a friend let on once that they taste better if they're stale . I don't know how true that is, but they seemed genuine when it was told.

I believe I've also heard Chumley's brother's mom tell his brother Jib (or Jiblet if you want to get into proper names) say the same thing. But they're an odd family and will eat just about anything fresh, stale or otherwise.

PS, mr welcorn doesn't tip so he never got a happy ending.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 06-09-2010 at 12:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, cause Utah is the most consistent state every year on weather conditions... right?

Last year, friends and I took a ride for my birthday in May. We rolled down a trail that had been good for a few weeks. This year the trail still isn't ready and it's June.

"Is ______ trail ready yet?" is a valid question in Utah every year. Not something that can be searched or judged from a previous year.

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    This thread is making me discernibly turgid. Jib's mom better watch out.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    So could we agree that the Utah Forum is discernably turgid with a crunchy, sugary exoskeleton that must be bitten through to reach the soft, chewy center?
    Last edited by JMH; 06-09-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    I have an actual useful suggestion for the mods...

Awwww, look at you getting all helpful...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wasatch Crest-eagle-scout-marshall-watts.jpg  

I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Ride and Smile

Check out the Turner forum. Humor is intelligent, funny and there is tons of useful information. People also don't get tired of informing new comers to search for well worn topics. I have to admit, I keep lurking on this forum in hopes of finding some good info (which does show up from time to time).
    And I also admit wading through the humor gets tedious at best, but occasionally there is something funny. (take for instance the stuff about "turgid" in this thread when you insert the bombastic side of the definition its quite funny ((Sorry, can't resist)) )
    Whatever, the people are having fun so that's cool.
    I bet if you meet the "a$$ wipes" on the trail, you will have a different opinion of them. Maybe a time will come when so many of the threads won't get hijacked.
    By the way, the crest may be open before July. Mid mountain is mostly good now, if the warm weather holds Crest and Ridge could be rideable soon.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Is That A Tic Tac In Your Pocket Or Are You Just Glad To See Me?

I believe that being 'discernably turgid' in public is actually a misdemeanor in Salt Lake County. However, I'm not certain if that applies to internet forum responses being typed in the same county.
    I recall reading in the paper sometime back in the '90's and then hearing the report being mocked on X-96 in the morning, that some guy was arrested in Liberty Park for being 'discernably turgid' in public.

If only the po-po would set up a sting on the Crest come late July with all the hoardes skipping by in their spandex shorts and Livestrong jerseys handing out tickets to every male who passed by in such a manner. It would really provide a boost to our fledgling tax revenue for the year.

1/4 semi-pro
    i dont think i'll be able to get up to the crest today. my mouth is stll sore adn it's raining. maybe tomorrow though, i don't know.
    i think i need to replace my bashguard now that my dad's tig welder is back and do some work on my cruiser so maybe i'll do that today while its raining out. i think the rain will help melt the snow though. if anyone finds a good deal on a saddle let me know. i think it's time to replace it.
    i rode this bike on the crest 3 times last year and cleaned the spine.

not anti-bobsled

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    Check out the Turner forum. Humor is intelligent, funny and there is tons of useful information.
    Seriously? No, really, seriously?!?! You're holding up the Homers as a beacon of model interweb citizens?

I heart Utah.

Talentless Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    This thread is making me discernibly turgid. Jib's mom better watch out.
    Full on Jib's mom, I hope she sings me to sleep afterwards.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    I believe that being 'discernably turgid' in public is actually a misdemeanor in Salt Lake County. However, I'm not certain if that applies to internet forum responses being typed in the same county.
    I recall reading in the paper sometime back in the '90's and then hearing the report being mocked on X-96 in the morning, that some guy was arrested in Liberty Park for being 'discernably turgid' in public.

If only the po-po would set up a sting on the Crest come late July with all the hoardes skipping by in their spandex shorts and Livestrong jerseys handing out tickets to every male who passed by in such a manner. It would really provide a boost to our fledgling tax revenue for the year.
    Dude,
    your ongoing fascination with the male genitalia is really boring. Put it in your mouth or put it down, but please quit talking about it.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Love your Coors can Kick stand! Do you take that on every ride?

And I always thought it was "I'm not fat, I'm Fluffy"?

1/4 semi-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    Love your Coors can Kick stand! Do you take that on every ride?

And I always thought it was "I'm not fat, I'm Fluffy"?
    ha ha! no. i just had that in my bedroom so i used it to the take the picture. i have way too much stuff that i carry to be bothered with empty cans. i didnt write that thing at the bottom my friend helped me set up this account here and he did all that and used a jazzy for my picture. i don't know how to get rid of it but its kind of funny.
    not anti-bobsled

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Seriously? No, really, seriously?!?! You're holding up the Homers as a beacon of model interweb citizens?
    +1 on that.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Dude, don't call me dude.

Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    Dude,
    your ongoing fascination with the male genitalia is really boring. Put it in your mouth or put it down, but please quit talking about it.
    Technically I'm typing about it.

And don't call me dude.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Guys, the Wasatch Crest was epic today. So much Hero Dirt that I did it a second time with my boyfriend on my couch bike! EPIC!!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    Guys, the Wasatch Crest was epic today. So much Hero Dirt that I did it a second time with my boyfriend on my couch bike! EPIC!!
    I tried riding one of those with mr welcorn once and I ended up doing all the pedalling . Damn thing kept pulling to the right.

PS, yours is much nicer. I think the Grip Shift was part of the Ex-Treme package that I just couldn't afford.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingBear

Wet trail =
    I have to say, the emoticon is deeply uncool and kills my turgidity. It should only be used in extreme circumstances, like when your 3 yr old pulls the legs off a spider.

So, utterly unlike the emoticon in that regard.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleWhiteCaveman
    I have to say, the emoticon is deeply uncool and kills my turgidity. It should only be used in extreme circumstances, like when your 3 yr old pulls the legs off a spider.

So, utterly unlike the emoticon in that regard.
    I think SWC is onto something here with the emoto-chastizing. I actually prefer the as it was used by my parents throughout most of my childhood no matter what I did.

Drew a picture on the wall with a Sharpie.
    Put a baseball through the neighbors window.
    Caught in the bathroom with a cascading arc of lingerie photos from the JC Penny catalog sitting around my feet.

Bonus points for use of 'turgidity'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am Chumley's Username
    we're going to head back up in his deuce and a half with 7 fifty gallon drums of diesel fuel to melt all the snow above the trail to keep it from making the humdinger muddy. snip...
    sometimes i could use some help carrying and rolling the diesle through the snow to melt it. it's pretty easy to do as you just tip it over and let it spill out then light it. i can melt an acre in about 20 minutes usually if none of the trees catch on fire. give me your number and we can go up later thisweek and ride the crest!
    Am I alone in thinking this may not be too hip to the nature of things?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theCush
    Yes.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by theCush
    You have to realize that Chumley's grandfather and both uncles work for the oil/gas industry. His family stores the stuff like Mormons store cans of corn in their basements for the second (or is it third ) coming.

So long story short, they do things a little differently than you or I. And coming from a quassi industrial background they have a difficult time seeing the harm done by contaminants, etc....

He's a good kid though and a helluva rider. Last year he manualed/wheelied down Flying Dog from the top down to the paved road crossing before you start climbing back up. He only had to dab once when he came across a lady walking her two dogs. Considering he was carrying a 70lb mountaineering backpack full of saws, hammers, etc... that was a pretty big feat.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Found this while posting up something insightful in the ever insightful All-Mountain Forum.

Either Bortis or mr.welcorn took this weenis-cam footage of their friend D-Tron cleaning the Spine for the first time towards the end of last summer. He made it a foot or two beyond where this footage ends and then went over the side of the hill as he was doing Mach 5 on his new Giant (Trance??). He was pretty stoked regardless. And we were all lucky we didn't have to haul his carcass off the mountain.
    Then he moved to NM right after. Go figure.

There's your Crest stoke for the day.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 06-17-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lahblah
    (Trance??)..
    Reign actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lahblah
    He was pretty stoked regardless. And we were all lucky we didn't have to haul his carcass off the mountain.
    Whoa whao whoa, there's a "New" Mexico???

BY

P.S. He broke his pinky on dismount and it is now referred to as "Quatto" due to it's deformed nature. For "Quatto" background information please search under "Total Recall, Quatto"...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Found this while posting up something insightful in the ever insightful All-Mountain Forum.

Either Bortis or mr.welcorn took this weenis-cam footage of their friend D-Tron cleaning the Spine for the first time towards the end of last summer. He made it a foot or two beyond where this footage ends and then went over the side of the hill as he was doing Mach 5 on his new Giant (Trance??). He was pretty stoked regardless. And we were all lucky we didn't have to haul his carcass off the mountain.

There's your Crest stoke for the day.
    Pretty sure the Bonneville shoreline committee & the USFS got up there and improved the spine by putting in a paved path with a hand rail and padded guard rail. Yippee! No more bumps!. If the path is still too steep for the average biker, I heard they were going to go with some sort of magic carpet ( ala the "bass hole" at Snowbird ) or some sort of elevator/lift system. I guess they were nervous that someone training for the humdinger might get hurt up there...

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    I guess they were nervous that someone training for the humdinger might get hurt up there...
    This is a legitimate concern and I am glad to know it is on other people's minds as well.
    In all seriousness, would anyone get mad if I took a cordless sawzall on a ride and removed that heinous piece of re-bar up there. It ruins photogs and is an eyesore. Not to mention it would suck to land on. Kind of like this:

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    Pretty sure the Bonneville shoreline committee & the USFS got up there and improved the spine by putting in a paved path with a hand rail and padded guard rail. Yippee! No more bumps!. If the path is still too steep for the average biker, I heard they were going to go with some sort of magic carpet ( ala the "bass hole" at Snowbird ) or some sort of elevator/lift system. I guess they were nervous that someone training for the humdinger might get hurt up there...
    Personally I feel the Spine would best be served with an escalator and a Sno Snack at the bottom. Or maybe a moving sidewalk like they use in airports so people who've been sitting on a plane for 5 hours can get some rest from all that rest

On a totally unrelated note. I was at Single Smiths today getting some groceries and there were your staple 'people' on Jazzy's buzzing around while more of their type were getting off Trax and having a smoke before they entered the air conditioned splendor of a two-level grocery store. American flags and redneck, right wing stickers telling others how patriotic they were adorned their humming steeds. And as I was reaching for an imaginary box of Boo Berry cereal (really wish they made that stuff and Frankenberry again) a guy in a wheel chair who was being helped around by an aide passed behind me. By the look of his hair do and digs, I assumed he was a soldier who was probably recently released from Walter Reed and trying to rediscover life without his legs.
    And I pondered the fact that I would probably be pretty pissed to have lost my legs having served the country that those lazy f#cks in the Jazzy's seem to care so much about, yet chooch the system so they can pile on the diabetes, obesity and emphasema and scoot around without the use of their functional legs while this kid lost his and now has no choice.

Anyway, yeah the Crest. Can't wait for the hoardes to turn that place into an LA freeway every weekend.

Thank god for the Humdinger...and my legs.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Listens To Boy Bands
    Reign actually.

Whoa whao whoa, there's a "New" Mexico???

BLTBB

P.S. He broke his pinky on dismount and it is now referred to as "Quatto" due to it's deformed nature. For "Quatto" background information please search under "Total Recall, Quatto"...
    Reign. Sorry, my brain only remembered Giant and silvery color. And I do recall the lovely pirouette at dismount-thanks to my generic donepezil prescription refill. Man, Alzheimer's is a real b!tch sometimes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am reading through the posts and there is no doubt this forum has gotten 20x stupider in the last year. I know you guys are clever, but you really are just d-bags on the Interwebs (just an FYI). If you want to make it less shitty then start that FAQ, it would make the place better as you guys actually are full of useful info...

Fragglepuss The Chaste

The 12 Traditions to Recovery: D-Bags Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    I am reading through the posts and there is no doubt this forum has gotten 20x stupider in the last year. I know you guys are clever, but you really are just d-bags on the Interwebs (just an FYI). If you want to make it less shitty then start that FAQ, it would make the place better as you guys actually are full of useful info...
    Hi my name is slcrockymountainrider and I'm a d-bag. I'm happy to have finally completed step 2 of 12 after 16 years of trying. I'd like to thank my sponsor, Chumley, for being there all those nights I cried in his lap. The constant phone calls late into the night. And God, for just being a badass.

Well, first of all you're not telling us anything we don't already know and second of all you're assuming something that we may or may not want to actually occur.

Perhaps YOU should/could take up the initiative and actually post up some useful info. Or just not be a big crybaby here because you're all butt hurt that the Crest isn't dry yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not trying to throw out or dish out hurt, just trying to stop the toilet bowl from getting browner and browner, that's all, because it stinks in here...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Not trying to throw out or dish out hurt, just trying to stop the toilet bowl from getting browner and browner, that's all, because it stinks in here...
    Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted the 'd-bag' name calling as something on the negative side .

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Before this starts I should probably know better because its not something I know I can win. I'm not interwebs clever enough...

It's not just you SLCRockyMountainRider, its the whole crew.. So I'm not attacking you personally (I'm sure you are a good dude like the rest of them) its the cesspool this place is starting to evolve into. It's like listening to 5 guys with too much time and a tank of nitrous. This is why people make fun of people on the Interwebs..

My vote is maybe limit it to an area. You're giving Utah a bad name... Here's an example on another board:
    The Ultimate Thread #65 (possible NSFW 35 percent) (we're lucky there, little spills out to the rest of the board). It leaves good solid info for the rest of us who could give two shits about Bozos on the Crest. It is and was funny, but mostly just the first time..

thats it, I'm done..

Fragglepuss The Chaste

I blame it on Chumley.

I'm definitely impressed with that other board you linked simply because they are able to use .GIFs for their avatars-something MTBqueeR is definitely lacking.
    And as any red blooded American young man (pre-Justin Beiber) who went through puberty late in life and just barely passed Driver's Ed, the idea of owning a jacked up FJ40 with 36's and a bikini top would definitely take any Thread into the 100's.
    Note: I was chooched of this childhood experience and instead had to succumb to the oft-failed 4 wheel drive of a leftover power company truck order Chevy full size pickup in a corporate power company brown colorway and an AM radio (notice I didn't say stereo).

But I digress.

Here is what I suggest, and I'm coming at this from a purely non-confrontational point: take a deep breath and just run with it. There is a lot of good info here, but rather than follow the status quo on every other regional forum, we have our own flavor in getting the message across here. Granted, if we had some psycho hacking riders with a mini-saw like the NorCal guys, it would just sort of turn wierd in and of itself. But we're in vanilla Utah so...
    Most of us, well some of us, work sh!tty corporate jobs where we're supposed to be stiffled and stiff and seeing as how mtb'ing is a pretty passionate thing, why continue to be stiffled and stuffy about it? That's another reason why the Humdinger race Thread/Entry is the way it is. And BTW, that is a legit event. But why make it all I-Cup stiff when we can have fun not only with the event itself but also the means to get to that day?

Despite a lot of the sh!t that's thrown, I don't think most of it is personal. I've met up with a number of people I've gone back and forth with here and when we're out riding together it doesn't mean a thing. In fact, it makes the mood a bit lighter as jokes continue to fly.

And lastly. Even most of the 'serious' stuff here is just BS and crap. It's almost not fun anymore what one can get away with and have people believe. All I have to do is leave out the photos and I can convince any number of people that they should cut their spokes to fix a disc brake rub issue.

The horse has been beaten.

Before this starts I should probably know better because its not something I know I can win. I'm not interwebs clever enough...

It's not just you SLCRockyMountainRider, its the whole crew.. So I'm not attacking you personally (I'm sure you are a good dude like the rest of them) its the cesspool this place is starting to evolve into. It's like listening to 5 guys with too much time and a tank of nitrous. This is why people make fun of people on the Interwebs..

My vote is maybe limit it to an area. You're giving Utah a bad name... Here's an example on another board:
    The Ultimate Thread #65 (possible NSFW 35 percent) (we're lucky there, little spills out to the rest of the board). It leaves good solid info for the rest of us who could give two shits about Bozos on the Crest. It is and was funny, but mostly just the first time..

thats it, I'm done..

Talentless Hack

I love nitrous.

its the cesspool this place is starting to evolve into. It's like listening to 5 guys with too much time and a tank of nitrous. This is why people make fun of people on the Interwebs..
    It could be worse, have you ever read the comments section of the KSL online news section? Now that's a cesspool. The stupid there make me want to put hot forks into my eyes to kill the pain.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Bored Carp
    ALL TIRES ARE GOOD IN MOAB. YOU COULD RIDE A JAZZY AND NOT LOSE TRACTION. NOT LIKE ANY OF YOU ARE GOING TO RIDE ANY OF THE NON-SLICKROCK TRAILS AND HALF OF YOU WILL DRAG YOUR BIKES LIKE BUNNY BLANKETS FOR THE LAST 4 MILES ANYWAY.

ok, now this thread is useful.

Speaking of Moab. I could really use a dose of that Scout leader eating it on the Slick Rock trail, but can't find the pic anywhere. Any of you have a copy?
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    ALL TIRES ARE GOOD IN MOAB. YOU COULD RIDE A JAZZY AND NOT LOSE TRACTION. NOT LIKE ANY OF YOU ARE GOING TO RIDE ANY OF THE NON-SLICKROCK TRAILS AND HALF OF YOU WILL DRAG YOUR BIKES LIKE BUNNY BLANKETS FOR THE LAST 4 MILES ANYWAY.

ok, now this thread is useful.

Speaking of Moab. I could really use a dose of that Scout leader eating it on the Slick Rock trail, but can't find the pic anywhere. Any of you have a copy?
    I second the motion for the pic as I haven't seen it.

Chumley emmanualed the entire Slick Rock Trail on his rootbeer Nomad. Only trail he has yet to emmanual the entire thing is the coveted Crest which just happens to be the topic of this thread. Seems it's quite difficult to emmanual up Puke Hill.

Waiting for Godot
    i find it funny that this question comes up every year......

all the locals know that the crest is open and free of snow to ride in early February. every year i go up there and painstakingly paint plywood signs that look like snow along one side of the trail and remove them sometime in july.

we have been riding the crest all this time by ourselves. chumleys great grandfather(who is a few years younger than me) usually helps with this endeavor, but this year he was up at everest helping the sherpa's paint the plywood snow signs there. he learned all sorts of new and more efficient ways of snow sign painting from them.

we are very excited for next year and don't be surprised if the snow is there until august in 2011.
    Out riding, leave a message

1/4 semi-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky

i would liek a poster of that made for my room

who is oilcnaracer? my great grandpap manheim lived in exile down in argentina. i tried to visit him once but my travle visa was protested by the shoah foundation. he died 4 years ago.
    not anti-bobsled

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    i find it funny that this question comes up every year......
    So why exactly do you find such a valid question funny?

1/4 semi-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    yes of course.....i was born in argentina. thats where i met the "man", your great granpappy. and he didn't die 4 years ago, he has been dieing for 4 years. we tried to bury him then, but he clawed his way to the top and has been spiting dirt at us ever since.
    i still don't know who you ar? we never called him granpappy only grandpap or pap pap usaully like we do my grandpa who is sitll alive. i looked at your blog and dont recorgnize you. and why are you selling crap used tires on there for $12? you can buy brand new nevegls online for that much. sounds like something my uncle fritz would talk about that the gypsies would try and do back home. he buried my great grandpap with my dad and another relative so i dont kjnow what youre talking about.

im going up to the crest on friday to see how much me and jib can ride. hopefully thre is just the snow banks at the top by the radio tower thingys. ill let everyone know when were done.
    not anti-bobsled

Talentless Hack

On a completly relevent note..

The Crest is still not dry. Made it to the 9000 ft level last night and the Crest was wet with drifts past the saddle where Mill Ck and the Canyons trails join.
    Sierra Club Sucks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So if the Crest is not dry... what tire should I use?

1/4 semi-pro
    me and jib tried to ride up to the crest and only got up a ways on apex then we started hitting lots of snow we had to push thruogh. some guy was coming down and said there was a lot mroe snow and some downed trees. so we turned aroudn and rode out keystone which was in pretty good shape.
    not anti-bobsled

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    On a similar note, the Humdinger still needs a bit of time to dry out. You can drive to the start but you're not going to be riding very far.

Waiting for Godot
    [QUOTE=roguebuilder]So why exactly do you find such a valid question funny?

Last edited by OilcanRacer; 06-27-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    Out riding, leave a message

Ben-Jammin
    *Pictures I googled that are HILARIOUS*

*"Witty" long-winded paragraph full of inside jokes. And jokes about genitalia. And jokes about someone's mother*

*Plug for Humdinger*

*Brand hate*

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG
    *Pictures I googled that are HILARIOUS*

*"Witty" long-winded paragraph full of inside jokes. And jokes about genitalia. And jokes about someone's mother*

*Plug for Humdinger*

*Brand hate*
    You're really not living up to your user title.

Ben-Jammin
    You're really not living up to your user title.
    And yet my post compelled you to reply.

Hrm.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=OilcanRacer]
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebuilder
    So why exactly do you find such a valid question funny?

Just saying... "Is _____ trail ready yet?" is going to have a different answer every year.

In Utah, you can't judge when a trail is ready by previous years. within the past 4 years, the Cottonwood canyons have had a 300+" snowfall total with the following year bringing 700+". Some years we're done with measurable snow storms early on. Some years (like this one) we get huge snowfalls late in the season.

Don't be retarded.

"When is a trail ready" can vary by more than a month from a previous year.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

You Are Not A Unique And Beautiful Snowflake.

Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG
    And yet my post compelled you to reply.

Hrm.
    ditto.

mtbr member
    WOW

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm definitely impressed with that other board you linked simply because they are able to use .GIFs for their avatars-something MTBqueeR is definitely lacking.
    And as any red blooded American young man (pre-Justin Beiber) who went through puberty late in life and just barely passed Driver's Ed, the idea of owning a jacked up FJ40 with 36's and a bikini top would definitely take any Thread into the 100's.
    Note: I was chooched of this childhood experience and instead had to succumb to the oft-failed 4 wheel drive of a leftover power company truck order Chevy full size pickup in a corporate power company brown colorway and an AM radio (notice I didn't say stereo).

But I digress.

Here is what I suggest, and I'm coming at this from a purely non-confrontational point: take a deep breath and just run with it. There is a lot of good info here, but rather than follow the status quo on every other regional forum, we have our own flavor in getting the message across here. Granted, if we had some psycho hacking riders with a mini-saw like the NorCal guys, it would just sort of turn wierd in and of itself. But we're in vanilla Utah so...
    Most of us, well some of us, work sh!tty corporate jobs where we're supposed to be stiffled and stiff and seeing as how mtb'ing is a pretty passionate thing, why continue to be stiffled and stuffy about it? That's another reason why the Humdinger race Thread/Entry is the way it is. And BTW, that is a legit event. But why make it all I-Cup stiff when we can have fun not only with the event itself but also the means to get to that day?

Despite a lot of the sh!t that's thrown, I don't think most of it is personal. I've met up with a number of people I've gone back and forth with here and when we're out riding together it doesn't mean a thing. In fact, it makes the mood a bit lighter as jokes continue to fly.

And lastly. Even most of the 'serious' stuff here is just BS and crap. It's almost not fun anymore what one can get away with and have people believe. All I have to do is leave out the photos and I can convince any number of people that they should cut their spokes to fix a disc brake rub issue.

The horse has been beaten.
    Hi, I'm from the Ultimate Thread. Currently I ride a 10 year old GT XCR-LE. One of the last ones that was handbuilt in SoCal. I like to ride in the Sierra foothills including trails around Auburn, CA; Downieville and Tahoe. While I don't have a jacked up Fj40 on 36's, I kinda wish I did. Or another 4runner. I like to mtn bike, road bike, go 4wheeling, backpack, hunt and fish. And trail run. But I'm an inclusivist. One day I'd like to visit Utah and wheel Moab as part of the annual Landcruiser event, then spend an extra week riding the slickrock.

I'd like to welcome you to peruse our thread and post if you like. We welcome all, except discussions of politics. And whatever else the board owner has forbidden, like nudie pics. Andre/DieselCruiserHead, while preaching an attitude of tolerance isn't really that tolerant apparently. I imagine that's why he's complaining over here too about whatever inside jokes or banter you have going that he's either not a part of or doesn't understand. Has he regurgitated the latest around why your diets may be too protein laden and may be contributing to your ginourmous cabron footprints

Anyway, right now we're discussing weed eaters and permaculture gardens in tut. So swing on by!

1/4 semi-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Cube Dweller
    Anyway, right now we're discussing weed eaters and permaculture gardens in tut. So swing on by!
    i have a tiller.
    not anti-bobsled

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i have a tiller.

Sweet. There's definitely extensive discussion around farm and garden implements. Bonus points if it's attached to a 60's or 70's garden tractor.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Hi, I'm from the Ultimate Thread. Currently I ride a 10 year old GT XCR-LE. One of the last ones that was handbuilt in SoCal. I like to ride in the Sierra foothills including trails around Auburn, CA; Downieville and Tahoe. While I don't have a jacked up Fj40 on 36's, I kinda wish I did. Or another 4runner. I like to mtn bike, road bike, go 4wheeling, backpack, hunt and fish. And trail run. But I'm an inclusivist. One day I'd like to visit Utah and wheel Moab as part of the annual Landcruiser event, then spend an extra week riding the slickrock.

I'd like to welcome you to peruse our thread and post if you like. We welcome all, except discussions of politics. And whatever else the board owner has forbidden, like nudie pics. Andre/DieselCruiserHead, while preaching an attitude of tolerance isn't really that tolerant apparently. I imagine that's why he's complaining over here too about whatever inside jokes or banter you have going that he's either not a part of or doesn't understand. Has he regurgitated the latest around why your diets may be too protein laden and may be contributing to your ginourmous cabron footprints

Sounds flexy.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    i have a tiller.
    Sounds All-Mountain.

mtbr member
    we have our own flavor in getting the message across here.
    By "we", you know you are just talking about yourself and two other annoying people... right?

I mean that in a nice way...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebuilder
    By "we", you know you are just talking about yourself and two other annoying people... right?

I mean that in a nice way...
    That's like saying; I like the color of that shirt on you, just not the cut.

mtbr member
    That's like saying; I like the color of that shirt on you, just not the cut.
    I knew you'd understand.

...Your analogy made me laugh. That's funny.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Hi, I'm from the Ultimate Thread.
    Well Cube Dweller,

Given that you went out of your way to actually create a user profile (although I'd like to see an appropriate avatar at some point) and post up your first response in the Utah forum to either mock myself, dieselcruiserhead (sorry, I was raised on television so I lack the cognitive skills to interpret anything except fight or flight response) or both, I think you deserve a response.

So there it is.

And here's some more.

I will say that I am still envious of the Ultimate Thread as blatant vulgarity is not automatically censored as it is here on MTBqueeR.com where certain bits of our freedom are systematically being chipped away by the mountainbike morality police or MMP. We like to bash hippies and environmentalists as threatening our freedom to ride, yet turn right around without a blink of an eye and whiddle down our freedom of speech.

Did I just hear a bald eagle cry?

Lastly, it saddens me that you are not the proud owner of a FJ40 (I have a special place in my heart for a '77, yet had to settle for a '91 4Runner in my adulthood. Sacrificing the pure awesomeness of a vehicle you could legitimately play chicken with a semi with).

Perhaps if you work harder and put in more hours at Little Ceasars you'll be able to afford one someday.

But probably not...

...as I understand brown tar heroin is a b!tch to overcome.

roguebuilder be damned and lots of love,

SLC

mtbr member
    TOTALLY off topic, but I heard the Crest still has some snow on it. Although the Jordan Parkway by my house is totally good to go. The problem is the damn carbon wheels I got to test are drilled for presta so I can't put the goop in them. I hate flat tires.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Dub
    TOTALLY off topic, but I heard the Crest still has some snow on it. Although the Jordan Parkway by my house is totally good to go. The problem is the damn carbon wheels I got to test are drilled for presta so I can't put the goop in them. I hate flat tires.
    If I had fancy carbon wheels I would have been riding the Crest a couple of weeks ago, regardless of valve stem type.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Well Cube Dweller,

Given that you went out of your way to actually create a user profile (although I'd like to see an appropriate avatar at some point) and post up your first response in the Utah forum to either mock myself, dieselcruiserhead (sorry, I was raised on television so I lack the cognitive skills to interpret anything except fight or flight response) or both, I think you deserve a response.

So there it is.

And here's some more.

I will say that I am still envious of the Ultimate Thread as blatant vulgarity is not automatically censored as it is here on MTBqueeR.com where certain bits of our freedom are systematically being chipped away by the mountainbike morality police or MMP. We like to bash hippies and environmentalists as threatening our freedom to ride, yet turn right around without a blink of an eye and whiddle down our freedom of speech.

Did I just hear a bald eagle cry?

Lastly, it saddens me that you are not the proud owner of a FJ40 (I have a special place in my heart for a '77, yet had to settle for a '91 4Runner in my adulthood. Sacrificing the pure awesomeness of a vehicle you could legitimately play chicken with a semi with).

Perhaps if you work harder and put in more hours at Little Ceasars you'll be able to afford one someday.

But probably not...

...as I understand brown tar heroin is a b!tch to overcome.

roguebuilder be damned and lots of love,

SLC

I came to defend the honor of The Ultimate Thread, which had been besmirched by DieselCruiserHead. He tends to whine on IH8MUD so I typically ignore his drivel, but when he used our beloved thread as a example of what not to do here, he crossed an internet line.

Fortunately we don't drug screen at Little Caesars, so I can ramp up the OT and maybe one day spring for another 4x4. Big tires are spendy so it might be a while

I don't want to go too far out on a tangent that should be saved for Ih8mud, but I've put a lot of thought into the FJ40 vs Minitruck/4runner debate. Honestly, I think in terms of a value play for a truck you're actually going to wheel, a 4runner is a better value. The cost to build one up is much cheaper than a 40. Though 40's/45's/55's have a lot more mojo.

I too had a '91 4runner. I swapped out the IFS with a solid front axle, added electric lockers and a second transfer case and it was pretty fun. But it had the V-6, so I sold it. The 22re 4 cylinder can't be beat for cost and reliability. So now I'm leaning more towards an 86-89 4runner that you can remove the top from.

I'll be honest though, I haven't spent too much time thinking about the better choice for playing chicken with a semi. Maybe an FZJ80. There's a guy on 'mud that hit a concrete wall doing about 65 after he fell asleep at the wheel. He's convinced if he was in any other vehicle he'd be dead.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

It Takes A Village...

Well, I'm certain all this talk about Japanese 4x4's and playing chicken with concrete walls within a Wasatch Crest Thread is making more than a few people red in the face.

Apparently...well actually, I've been accused (along with exactly 2 others according to roguebuilder) of bringing down the Utah forum and causing it to be the worst and most useless regional thread on this website. Ha, yeah. I'm just bringing this Forum down relative to this State's dead last standing in spending per student. The way I see it based on this information, this place is just swimming with dumb and you don't discuss Fermat's Enigma with an idiot. You post up pictures of unicorns and eagles to make them squeel and clap their hands. Of course even this dumbed down approach (pun intended) still upsets those with that rogue extra Y chromosome randomly firing when they REALLY don't understand something.

Yeah, I along with a couple other people are bringing down a forum that until recently had pages and pages of discussions on tire types for Moab, the Mid-Moutain, tire pressures for the Shoreline, etc... Seriously there's not that much going on here. Hell, we don't even host a national mountain bike event any longer. Even one of our most famous and well publicized trails-the Mid Mountain-can't escape being turned into a pile of crap (apparently). The most exciting news we've had in a long time is that all the rocks were removed from the Shoreline.

And Jason Chaffetz wondered on National Public Radio last week why our students don't understand or know about the different roles of Government. Hmmm...maybe because he and others of his ilk continually cut education spending to point where Utard is DFL. Congratulations, that's something to be proud of.

Yeah, I'm the one bringing Utah down.

mtbr member
    http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_5982482

Read the 5th paragraph. I don't feel stupider than a kid from alaska which is apparently the #1 in spending.

What? Dollars don't equal brains?

In any case:

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by neongreen
    http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_5982482

Read the 5th paragraph. I don't feel stupider than a kid from alaska which is apparently the #1 in spending.

What? Dollars don't equal brains?

In any case:
    Yeah, I agree. Utah children aren't stupid solely because of the lack of spending on education. Many are stupid because of the watered down curriculum and being born into stupid brainwashed families spewing easy answers... The rest are just slow due to the teachers having to slow down for the kids mentioned above.

Anyone know if the Crest is dry yet? Any recent recon? PC/DV is almost dusty...

BY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen

BY
    Stop asking stupid questions, this is not the place for such things.

Noobs...

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by neongreen
    Stop asking stupid questions, this is not the place for such things.

Noobs...
    Sorry. Guess I'll get back to work.

Hot out today, gonna have to go shirtless...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    Yeah, I agree. Utah children aren't stupid solely because of the lack of spending on education. Many are stupid because of the watered down curriculum and being born into stupid brainwashed families spewing easy answers... The rest are just slow due to the teachers having to slow down for the kids mentioned above.

BY
    Man and I thought I was the cranky one. Your zenlike self is starting fold under pressure.

You're going to need to slip away from work for a couple of hours this weekend and let out some of that man aggression. I can't imagine having to work so much while having a brand new, sweet as f#cking hell bike that I'd been waiting for months on just sitting there taunting me. Well, having said that, I now understand the crankiness so you're off the hook.

Perhaps a Humdinger Lap Saturday afternoon? Chumley's recent recon said it's pretty much good to go except for a couple of minor trees in the way. That would put a smile on anyone's face . There, see.

Whoa there's another one. Smiles all around.

Members who have read this thread: 0