wasatch canyons master plan - permits for backcountry?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

wasatch canyons master plan - permits for backcountry?

There've been some recent planning meetings for wasatch front canyons, and it looks like at least one option includes a backcountry permits for mtbs and x-c skiing.
    I don't have a good understanding of the proposals so far, but I'm assuming backcountry includes millcreek, big cottonwood, etc. There's a survey for residents at http://www.wasatchcanyons.slco.org/index.html - a lot to wade through but looks like it might be important for future trail access.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yep, everyone on this site needs to check the proposals out. If you're familiar with Zion NP, then you know what a horrible failure the permit system has been yet it has proven impossible to change so far. Why anyone would suggest a similar system for the Wasatch can only be explained as they have no idea what it's like to deal with the Zion permit system. Get on the site ad take the survey.

Another thing to note is that so far, the voice of mountain bikers has not been very loud. Everyone here needs to get on this before we wind up having to pay a fee to ride Mill D or the Crest...

Mar 2009
    The problem with the survey is that almost all of the "options" include severely restricting people one way or another, whether it be through permits, fees, taxes, mandates, closures, or any other sort of B.S. Their attitude seems to be to close everything down and funnel everybody to the same place.

What the Wasatch needs is an INCREASE in the number of available recreational and transportation options, not the other way around. That way there will always be plenty to go around and people will get in each others way less often.

I realize that they are trying to stimulate discussion, but all of their ideas are bad. Seems like just another group of self-appointed douches who want nothing more than to control people. So I guess I reject whole premise.

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by PussNbooty
    What the Wasatch needs is an INCREASE in the number of available recreational and transportation options, not the other way around. That way there will always be plenty to go around and people will get in each others way less often.
    There is an option that allows for unfettered growth. The point made by the survey creators is that you can either have your unlimited access or you can have a wilderness experience - over the next 30 years, they will become mutually exclusive.

You may choose to disagree with the methodology, but as a person who has seen the effect of population on trail access in other states, I recognize familiar patterns and think that they are probably correct, little as I like it.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Mar 2009
    I recognize a familiar pattern. A bunch of Californians moving to Utah, crowding the place, bringing all of their problems here, and pissing everyone off by looking down on everyone, telling everyone what to do and how to 'be'. There is a reason California is a failed state and it is the people who live there. Kick the Californians out = problem solved.

mtbr member
    I'm not from here or California, but last I checked the Utah "natives" were doing a pretty good job increasing the population on their own. Population growth is natural and we're better off working on land usage issue sooner than later.

Members who have read this thread: 0