WAFTA Updates- Mtbr.com

Thread: WAFTA Updates

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

WAFTA Updates

This information was presented at the pre-movie slideshow at Brewvies during the Follow Me premiere. For those who were unable to attend, or could not read the screen (sorry), the same information is posted below. Go to www.facebook.com/wafta for more information.

======

WAFTA Season Kickoff Ridefest and Cookout

WHAT: Bikes and Barbecue
    WHERE: The “B” at Bountiful
    WHEN: 11AM – 3PM Saturday, May 22

Details: Join WAFTA for a season kick-off hangout day at the Bountiful “B.” We’ll bring some brats and beverages; you bring yourself and your bike, and any beverages you may particularly want. Riding and shuttling will be done on your own but this will be a great excuse to get together, talk trails, and get amped for the season ahead.

====

Wasatch State of the Trails 2010

Downhill and freeride mountain biking is exploding in popularity in Utah. As set forth below, there is huge momentum for purpose-built bike parks and gravity trails around the Wasatch thanks to the vision and support of our local land managers and riding community—you!

WAFTA would especially like to thank Brad Jensen and Greg Hilbig from Draper City, Bob Radke from Park City/Summit County, and Josh Jones from Ogden for their help in this effort.

====

2010 Trails Overview

Current Trails
    • Mountain Ranch Bike Park at Eagle Mountain
    • Maple Hollow at the Draper Downhill

New 2010 Projects
    • Draper downhill and jump line
    • Trailside Park (Park City)
    • Gorgoza Park (Park City)
    • Ogden Bike Park

Current Trails

Mountain Ranch Bike Park – Eagle Mountain
    If you haven’t ridden at Eagle Mountain yet, it’s time to go! The bike park is an easy 40-minute drive from downtown Salt Lake City.

Maple Hollow DH – Draper
    The Maple Hollow DH trail has been an incredible success. With easy shuttling and a hand-built, intermediate-difficulty “blue” trail, Maple Hollow is a huge step towards continued, legal downhill trail-building on the Wasatch Front. WAFTA is continuing to work with Draper City officials to polish this trail by:

• Re-routing the end of the trail to a one-way, bike-specific exit, avoiding the current multi-use trail exit to the road.
    • Reinforcing all jump features with pressure-treated lumber for a more permanent structure requiring minimal maintenance.
    • Continuing trail maintenance to improve sustainability and riding flow.

====

New 2010 Projects

Draper Downhill: Jump Line
    A new expert jump trail will split from the existing Maple Hollow DH near the bottom powerline corridor. This is in the planning stages and construction will hopefully begin this summer as soon as all improvements are finished and finalized on Maple Hollow itself.

In other words: Come out and volunteer to help the City finish up Maple Hollow so construction can begin on the new jump line ASAP!

Draper Downhill: Expert Trail
    Once the jump line has been built, WAFTA and Draper City officials plan to flag a line for an expert “black” downhill trail which will run adjacent to the existing Maple Hollow “blue” DH trail. Construction will hopefully begin this summer.

Draper Trail Boss Volunteers Needed
    Volunteer trail bosses are needed to assist Draper City with maintenance and planning of the Maple Hollow DH, jump line, and Expert Trail. If you are interested in working with Draper City to plan and build trails that you want to ride, let WAFTA know and it will pass your information on to Draper City. Volunteers will work in concert with Draper City officials in planning future trails and suggesting natural features to incorporate into the trails.

Trailside Bike Park
    Bob Radke of Snyderville Basin Recreation District is heading up the effort to build a brand-new, professionally designed bike park near the existing Trailside Skills Park in the Silver Summit area of Park City. He has approximately $75,000 funded for this project in 2010 and is expecting to receive another $75,000 in 2011, so this holds amazing potential.

Bob is one of the masterminds behind Boise’s world-class bike park, so we can expect great things from him. Dirt jumps, a stunt/skills area, a pumptrack, and many more features will be included.

Gorgoza Bike Park
    Bob Radke is also taking the lead on building several bike-park style downhill trails near the Gorgoza tubing hill in between Summit Park and Pinebrook in Park City. Construction is slated to begin as soon as the snow melts. A single push-or-pedal uphill trail will access 3-4 one-way downhill trails.

Bob is also the man behind Bob’s Basin and its mini-freeride trails at Glenwild in Park City. Be sure to check out Crazy 8’s, the most recent trail added to Bob’s Basin last season.

Finally, Ogden is in the process of planning a solid freeride/downhill mountain bike park. Planning is going smoothly, and the park should consist of several downhill trails, a dirt jump park, and a pump track in downtown Ogden. Look for updates and volunteer opportunities to help Ogden bring this to fruition.

Don't forget to visit www.facebook.com/wafta and become a fan.

Happy trails (building and riding).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wow cool to see of alot of stuff planned for the near future

Picture Unrelated
    Sweet, thanks for the update. Hopefully I'll be back in town in time to dig (and of course ride). It's nice to see a posting for those of us who aren't intimately involved with WAFTA yet. Keeping the general public informed will almost certainly get your more members and more support, so keep up the good work!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Where can we find out more about the park in Ogden? I'm a local and very interested in helping.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    I have contact info for the Ogden city folks at my office. I will PM you tomorrow with the information.

Mike

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    I have contact info for the Ogden city folks at my office. I will PM you tomorrow with the information.

Mike

Hit me with that as well mang.

mtbr member
    any new updates on any of these trails/when does trail work need to be done?

mtbr member
    This is posted on WAFTA's Facebook page.

WAFTA Utah Tuesday evening, June 29th at 6:00 pm - Draper DH workday. There is a whole new section of the Draper DH that is close to being opened. Tuesday we will be working on jumps, etc. and taking out two flow-killing switchbacks. Dig until dark. We will try to have some tools on hand, but bring your own if you've got em. ... See you then. Meet at the bottom of the trail.

I'll have my 3 year old daugter with me; but, we're going to try and make it anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Work has begun on the Gorgoza park, no volunteers needed yet but sounds like good progress is being made.

mtbr member
    Once I finally get my bike in the next month or so, I want to be part of the WAFTA crew! But I wont have a 100% FR bike.

Anyway, just thought Id say that this sounds like it has great potential and I cant wait to get out and help and meet some of you guys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Work has begun on the Gorgoza park, no volunteers needed yet but sounds like good progress is being made.
    I just got wind of the work going on at Gorgoza through the grapevine and was curious.......
    What would the chances be that the owners/managers of Gorgoza could be convinced to have a 4x track installed on their property? As I remember, the last time they tried to hold a national 4x compettition out here they had to hold it on a BMX track. A facility like this could put us on the map for more national and international compettitions.

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbak73
    I just got wind of the work going on at Gorgoza through the grapevine and was curious.......
    What would the chances be that the owners/managers of Gorgoza could be convinced to have a 4x track installed on their property? As I remember, the last time they tried to hold a national 4x compettition out here they had to hold it on a BMX track. A facility like this could put us on the map for more national and international compettitions.

Just a thought.
    Little update on Gorgoza here plus some thoughts about your question -

Work is ongoing and the trail isn't open - yet. The two WAFTA guys working with Rad Bob from SBRD haven't yet called for all the volunteers to come out and finish up, so please respect their wishes and hang tight until they're ready.

As for your question about the 4x - while it's a nice thought, one of the mandates of SBRD is that their trails aren't 'visible' from the roads. We all know that bits and pieces of them show up from time to time, but they try VERY hard to keep them hidden at a casual glance. That's a pretty hard feat to do with trails and nearly impossible with any 4X course.

We've asked about some dual slalom options, and possible 4X at other locations where it could be an option. With both of those (generally) that means that there will be races held, and I'm not sure (maybe Dr. B can chime in here) but I think when you purpose build a trail for racing (vs. just having a race on existing trails) there is a different liability the land manager has to accommodate for. I know for insurance purposes a race is a separate 'event' and isn't covered by normal policies.

But I agree - a 4x course somewhere would be sick, especially with local boy Mitch Ropelato ripping these things nationally, and internationally.

Members who have read this thread: 0