WAFTA spring meeting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

WAFTA spring meeting

Of course it's still snowing out, and the resorts have the most 'base' of the whole year... but everybody is thinking about riding bikes and building trails, right? Right?? Well, maybe not but we've been working on a number of things over the winter months and want to meet with you all to go over them so hopefully you can join us.

Here's the deal:

What: WAFTA Spring Meeting
    When: Tuesday, April 14th, 7pm til 8-ish
    Where: Go-Ride store, 3232 South 400 East, SLC
    Why: So you'll be 'in the know' about trails, trail building, and things planned for 2009
    What to bring: Yourself, your friends, a portable chair and a few of your favorite beverages and maybe some to share

If you want to bring $30 and get your annual dues out of the way, we'll take it there too (if you already haven't done so).

We'll talk about the work happening in Eagle Mountain and Draper, new opportunities at a few other places, trail work days, sponsors, and anything else you want. Feel free to forward this to anybody you think might be interested.

We'll see you there!

mtbr member
    Bump....
    This should be public knowledge.... maybe even a sticky.
    Bikeless Rider

Fartographer

Wafta

I woulda stickied it, but I've been skiing

Actually I was down in Southern Utah. When's the next meeting?

Maybe WAFTA should have a permanent sticky thread?
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I woulda stickied it, but I've been skiing

Actually I was down in Southern Utah. When's the next meeting?

Maybe WAFTA should have a permanent sticky thread?
    Still time for a sticky, meeting isn't til next Tuesday. I'll be there if I'm back from a trip down south.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Fartographer

Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Still time for a sticky, meeting isn't til next Tuesday. I'll be there if I'm back from a trip down south.
    Thanks for pointing out my error. I done stuck it!

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Thanks for the sticky Photo-John. Meeting should be good - some nice things in the works for the next few months, such as:

a day of free shuttles up to the Draper DH for dues paying members;
    tee shirts;
    demo days;
    and other projects in the works.

This will all be covered at the meeting on Tuesday night. See you guys then!

mtbr member

hmmm...

Can you 'bump' a sticky? Not sure!

Anyway, just a reminder about the meeting tonight. It's raining, the trails will suck and you'll get your bike all muddy, so you might as well come out and find out what's new and have a cold one or three.

Don't forget a chair or you're standing! See you tonight.

Fartographer
    How about a meeting report for those of us who couldn't attend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Thanks to all those who came out to the meeting last night. It was a great success. We will post an agenda and minutes of the meeting online once they are prepared so people who were unable to attend will be caught up to speed on what was covered.

We look forward to a great season of riding!

-WAFTA-

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Meeting Minutes

WAFTA General Meeting – Minutes
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 – 7:00 pm
    Go-Ride, 3232 South 400 East

• We started around 7:10pm with a quick intro of the board members and other ‘officials’. Darin Garrett (VP) had called earlier and relayed his regrets for not being able to attend. Rough count of people there was around 40. Thanked the folks at Go-Ride for hosting our shindig.
    • We discussed membership and dues, sticking with $30 per head. There was mention of a “family plan” that the board will take up when they meet. Dues covers insurance, web hosting, IMBA membership, some office supplies, and we also are planning on filing the official IRS documents (which costs about $700). We’re tax-exempt as long as we take in under $5,000 a year. Please send in your dues (via paypal on the http://www.waftautah.com/join.html webpage) if you didn’t get it done at the meeting. We also will be getting shirts donated by Go-Ride – visit the WAFTA forum and log on to vote on the one you think we should have produced, view that here: http://waftautah.com/forum/index.php?topic=49.0 (we’ll close the voting on April 27, 2009)
    • We mentioned sponsorship opportunities we’re pursuing, and have a brochure developed explaining the options and what it’s all about. If you have a company, employer, friend, etc. that you think may sponsor WAFTA, please let us know and we’ll pursue that further with you. Hopefully sponsors will keep dues low and help us with trail tools, equipment rentals, and other expenses.
    • We then moved on to discuss the current activities:
    o Eagle Mountain Bike Park: Grand opening is May 30th, we’re working on finishing it most every Saturday until then (9am to noon) and some weeknights. The progress is good and you should go check it out (for directions, look at the http://www.waftautah.com/maps.html page).
    o Draper (Maple Hollow DH): Still snowed in but hoping to resume work on the next section soon. There are some different options (jump line on the area that was to be reclaimed) and some other things in the works. More details will be posted on the various forums.
    o WAFTA/Go-Ride/Giant demo/shuttle day: We’re working on May 31st for a Maple Hollow DH demo and shuttle day. Stay tuned for more details.
    o Other opportunities we discussed: Ogden freeride/DH only trails (we met with Ogden City officials and they’re proceeding with this), Rose Canyon (proposal submitted to Salt Lake County for bike/freeride trails to be included in their project), preliminary discussions with North Salt Lake officials for trails there, Snowbird discussions (they are working on getting a singletrack trail from the top of the tram to their base area), USFS meeting (met last fall with them to discuss projects, LCC trail), and Snyderville Basin Rec. District (bike park plans, DH trail plans they have)
    • We discussed a draft document we’re working on for how changes to trails WAFTA is working on get done. This will be distributed but the bottom line is that as you’re out at Eagle Mountain, or Draper, keep an eye out for things that we could do to improve the trails. The land managers will need to approve them, but we’ve had good luck running things by them and getting positive feedback.
    • We mentioned we applied for an IMBA Trail Care Crew visit in 2009 but they were fully scheduled so we’ll proceed with having them out in 2010.
    • We mentioned contacting the FreedomRiders movie folks to have a premiere in SLC, but haven’t heard back from them yet.
    • No other business/items were brought up, so we ended the meeting at 8:05pm followed by a bit of socializing.

Additional notes:

Thanks to everybody who showed up, and serious thanks to those who paid dues. $30 isn’t too much to contribute to see the trails situation improve here, is it?

If you have questions or comments, please bring them up on the various forums or shoot an e-mail to [email protected] if you prefer.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Has there been any progression on an Ogden freeride trail? What's the latest?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

My understanding is that officials from Weber County, Ogden city, and the landowner are going to be walking the land where the trail will be built, along with mountain bikers from the Ogden area. The walk-through will be an opportunity to analyze the topography, natural features, etc. to be able to incorporate them into the trail network.

Are you interested in attending on behalf of WAFTA? If you live up there, it would be nice to have someone represent WAFTA in the process, the board members of WAFTA are all in SLC area and cant get up there during the day when some of the walk-throughs take place.

Send us a PM if interested.

Members who have read this thread: 0