WAFTA Alert...- Mtbr.com

Thread: WAFTA Alert...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! WAFTA Alert...

Wasatch Area Freeride Trails Association is up and running. We have a basic website. We have IMBA affiliation. We have the attention of local land managers, and one that is already interested in working with us this summer to build freeride trails. Yes, the kind of freeride trails we all complain about not having enough of!

But we still only have 21 people on the roster... And we definitely need people that can go to the Price Trailbuilding School next month. Who is in on that one? Brush up on the digging skills, get IMBA certified, build stuff.

Apr. 19-22 Price, UT

http://www.imba.com/tcc/schedule.html

We also need Insurance, and while The Prof has been kind enough to pay for everything we have so far, this is going to be more than he should have to front. But I bet if everybody chipped in a few bucks, it could be done.

So sign up, let's get together discuss the state of WAFTA.

JMH

mtbr member
    Sounds like we need to plan another festivus so we might pass the collection plate around...

I suppose I could post this up over on ride-it.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

mmm bacon

Can I go

I would like to go but since I just had acl surgery I can't drive, I'l pay for gas and my mobility will be limited. Is it worthwhille or no?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Where do you live? I am sure someone in your area could give you a ride.

EDIT: Ah, I just realized you are talking about the IMBA trail school... I would take a pass if I were you. There will be another one in Cedar City later in the year that you might enjoy more. Crutches and a leg brace would probably limit your enjoyment...

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by 925hell
    I would like to go but since I just had acl surgery I can't drive, I'l pay for gas and my mobility will be limited. Is it worthwhille or no?

mtbr member
    JMH - thanks for spreading the love. It's been a couple days since I've had a chance to check out here and was nice to see the update! Is this the weekend you're in Moab? Weather should be right on, enjoy.

Bleu - festivus sounds good too. There should be some more info on insurance in the next day or so. We should know what we're up against shortly so we'll know how big the hat needs to be. Sometime the week of 11th of March?

For another quick follow-up: There may be 2 (yes folks, count em...) land managers now that are looking for a group to help design and build freeride trails. That's right folks.... legitimate freeride trails could be had all for a bit of your time and interest. All that hard work you've put in to something that doesn't get ripped down is a pretty cool concept. Plus they told me they recently purchased a trail building dozer.... now how cool is that!

PM me if you want on the list or just follow the links on the www.waftautah.com website under 'join us'. Be patient, I work for a living...

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    need people that can go to the Price Trailbuilding School next month. Who is in on that one? Brush up on the digging skills, get IMBA certified, build stuff.

Apr. 19-22 Price, UT

JMH
    YES!!!

My wife and I are the ones putting the IMBA thing together with our little TrailFest here in Price. We're hoping for a BIG turn-out to impress upon the city & county the need for more trailbuilding and a yearly Fest'.

Here's looking forward to meeting you guys. And here...
    http://groups.msn.com/PriceAreaSingl...ailfest07.msnw
    ...Help spread the word, eh?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    FTBG-

Lay some camping knowlege on a fella... I don't want to pay for some lame Motel 6 when I can be enjoying the Utah Skies at night... anything good close by?

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyTheBikeGuy
    YES!!!

My wife and I are the ones putting the IMBA thing together with our little TrailFest here in Price. We're hoping for a BIG turn-out to impress upon the city & county the need for more trailbuilding and a yearly Fest'.

Here's looking forward to meeting you guys. And here...
    http://groups.msn.com/PriceAreaSingl...ailfest07.msnw
    ...Help spread the word, eh?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Hey guys, just moved to the area a couple months ago. I'm pretty sure bikes were invented for the sole purpose of jumping over or off of stuff so sounds like you're the local club for me. I was involved with my local freeride club back in NC and was heavily involved with the construction of a pump track just before I moved away. Still getting settled in here and unfortunately I have to work the weekend of April 21st and 22nd but am definitely looking forward to pitching in a hand.

Do we have any existing dirt jumps or freeride trails now?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    DJs - Yes! I-Street above the Avenues, Tanner Park (what is the status of Tanner? I haven't heard much about it lately) and Park City all have some good stuff. I suck at dirt jumping, though, so you could get better beta from someone else.

Trails - Not really. There are what you might call "backwoods" trails that are unimproved, strewn with logs and rocks, and generally rough. There are also DH trails at Deer Valley and up in Bountiful. None of this stuff is rideable yet (well, maybe the Bountiful stuff is, I don't know).

There are also some fun little ripper trails at Bob's Basin up in Park City that are low enough to ride in the next two or three weeks. Small drops, low berms and minimal features. Not difficult, but fun for high-speed runs to get the cobwebs out. WAFTA is really hoping to work there this summer with the help of Bob to get some good, solid intermediate stuff built. If you like to dig and build, you will be a popular man.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Do we have any existing dirt jumps or freeride trails now?

Aug 2005

... and if we just ... Free Camping At Trailfest!!

Yeah, dude- Free primitive camping just above town at Luke's Trail-head, and PRIME camp-spots throughout our little trail system Great views abound

We'll (probably) have a big fireside jam Saturday night, so bring yer git-fiddles!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Thanks for the 411 JMH.

I'll definitely be up for some trail work in the comming months. Very stoked to see freeride momentum gaining around here. Had some pretty good trails coming together on NC although most are kept on the DL. Public land access was hard to get around there despite other successful projects on public land in the region.

Looking forward to checking out Bob's Basin and the local DH trails. I tend to be a fan of 'Shore style trails but started DJ'n and riding pump tracks this past year to improve my bike handling skills.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

JMH -

I have my last final of law school (hopefully) on the 20th. After that, I am planning on heding down to get trail certified in Price. Err - you are in the right place. Good riding in SLC currently, great riding to come.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Err- I talked to a friend who has been digging at Tanner and said it is fantastic right now. He also told me I Street is already getting too dry to work (last week before the rain) but it is quite good anyway so that's two spots within 20 minutes of each other that are currently getting a lot of TLC. PM me and I can point you in the right direction to both.

mtbr member
    Fix mah hand.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The lordeth giveth, and the lordeth T-Boneth and taketh awayeth.

Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    Fix mah hand.

mtbr member

Bountiful DH/DJ

Hey Guys, looks like I have a really great shot at a job HQ'd in Bountiful, sounds like there are some plans for DH/Dj trails in that area. Anything confirmed yet?

Also, I'd love to join your group and get myself certified to trailbuild, that's probably my second favorite thing to do in the summer besides ride my bike. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    nothing witty here...

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Go to www.waftautah.com and sign up. We got permission (thanks Steve) to build some trails in Draper. In Bountiful, there is great DH above the 'B' on the mountain. DJs at I street and Tanner Park. When you move out, pm me and I will give you more info, tour, etc.

Thanks for the interest. We welcome all who can dig...

Members who have read this thread: 0