Visiting Utah Memorial Day Weekend and need some intel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Visiting Utah Memorial Day Weekend and need some intel

So my wife and I and 2 other couples will be coming to UT Memorial Day weekend for a "relaxing" mountain bike trip. We're a pretty solid group of riders and are looking for more of an "adventure". So yeah, riding is the main focus but I'd like to do some idea on other things to do in the area. I've been to Moab several times over the past 5 or 6 years and am familiar with most of the riding in the Moab, Fruita, GJ area. In the past I've always RV/Camped it with the guys but the wives want something a little less gritty So we're looking for a good place to rent or hotel it for this trip.

Here's our itinerary:
    Thursday - Arrive around 11a.m. in SLC. We'd like to find a 2 to 4 hour ride in that area and stay their overnight in some hotel.
    Friday - Drive to Moab, ride Amasa Back, or Slickrock, ?, do other things, set up house.
    Saturday - TWE (Will Burro be clear by then?)
    Sunday - Daytrip to Fruita and do Loma and maybe 18 road.
    Monday - Flight is at 5PM out of SLC so maybe we boogie to SLC and ride and breakdown bikes. Or ride in Moab and boogie back.

So basically looking for recommendations to ride nearby SLC. Any can't miss rides? Any recommendations on places to stay?

Any recommendations on places to stay in Moab? Rustic is fine, or even preferred but we do need Internet and cell coverage.

Any recommendations for our last day so we're not scrambling too much?

Any recommendations for things to do that are not mountain biking? Everytime I've gone to Moab it was non-stop mountain biking.

Thanks in advance!

btw,
    If anyone needs intel on New England riding feel free to ask.

Cheers!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    In SLC, Flying Dog will be dry and open well before then and is a 2-3 hour ride. Mid Mountain might be open, depends on how warm/dry April and May are. Crest is usually mid June.

Down in Moab, I'd suggest checking out Mag 7 for a ride. And last year for Memorial Day, I was able to do Hazard down but last year was also very dry. So I'd guess expect Koko for sure and Hazard if you are lucky.

Non mtn bike activities in Moab are the obvious parks (Arches, Dead Horse, Canyonlands). I've done the hummer+jet boat tour, the hummer part was awesome and about 2-3 hours, the jet boat was cool but not a must do.

Only slept indoors on one trip to Moab, but had good luck with Moab Utah Lodging & Condos | Moab, Utah | Moab Condo Rentals for finding a place (Rock Haven condos, south side of town by golf course).

beater
    I agree that you might get Hazard if you're lucky (or willing to go up from Kokopelli). I've never gotten above Kokopelli on any of my spring trips, the latest of which was mid-May (although I'll be down there this Memorial Day, myself). IIRC, commercial shuttles aren't allowed up to Burro until July anyway. It sounds like you're restricted by your schedule, but I'll never ride the Porcupine system on a peak season Saturday again. Lesson learned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There's the new zip line in Moab!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys. Definitely helps!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    I just responded to your pm but reading some of the responses here reminded me of how blown away I was with Arches NP when I finally took the time to drive through and do few short hikes one time when I was there with my son. Don't miss delicate arch. Wow.

The other thing I thought of is Thunder Mountain and Bryce Canyon. Not exactly on the way from SLC to Moab but amazing enough and close enough to make them worth considering.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
    In SLC, Flying Dog will be dry and open well before then and is a 2-3 hour ride. Mid Mountain might be open, depends on how warm/dry April and May are. Crest is usually mid June.
    We live in SLC, but I have never hear of this trails, do you have a links or basic directions..?

Dry creek/city creek are fun but they are getting kind of old..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    We live in SLC, but I have never hear of this trails, do you have a links or basic directions..?

Dry creek/city creek are fun but they are getting kind of old..
    Tons of trail info here, linked to the Park City section: Park City Area Bike Trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
    Tons of trail info here, linked to the Park City section: Park City Area Bike Trails
    Great thanks Park city I have no clue about..

mtbr member
    More Utah riding info by region: Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page

mtbr member
    So how are the trails in the SLC / Park City Area riding right now? We'll be up there next Thursday and will be itching to ride!

beater
    If you see a group that includes an Uprising and a Day-Glow Chilcotin, holler at us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    If you see a group that includes an Uprising and a Day-Glow Chilcotin, holler at us.
    If you see a group that includes an Uprising and a Day-Glow Endorphin, holler at us

beater
    Ha!

Happy Trails
    I'll be in SLC for biz and a long weekend at the same time. I'll probably just end up staying downtown at City Creek and not making the trip up the hill to PC. I've never ridden in SLC but am experienced enough to keep the wheels rolling all over Arizona. I know my way around SLC pretty well.

So I gather from above that 2-3 Hours of City Creek and 2-3 Hours of Flying Dog would be low complexity/maximum ride-ability trade of convenience and fun.

City Creek - Is This is the trail accessible from downtown near the big shopping area? Is CC better than Little Cottonwood Canyon trail?

Flying Dog in Park City Where's the best place to start?

THanks in advance and I'm glad to return the favor if you ever need any tips on Sedona or Phoenix.

Happy Trails!

mtbr member

Visiting Utah Memorial Day Weekend and need some intel

Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    I'll be in SLC for biz and a long weekend at the same time. I'll probably just end up staying downtown at City Creek and not making the trip up the hill to PC. I've never ridden in SLC but am experienced enough to keep the wheels rolling all over Arizona. I know my way around SLC pretty well.

So I gather from above that 2-3 Hours of City Creek and 2-3 Hours of Flying Dog would be low complexity/maximum ride-ability trade of convenience and fun.

City Creek - Is This is the trail accessible from downtown near the big shopping area? Is CC better than Little Cottonwood Canyon trail?

Flying Dog in Park City Where's the best place to start?

THanks in advance and I'm glad to return the favor if you ever need any tips on Sedona or Phoenix.

Happy Trails!
    Answer to the Little Cottonwood (LCC) vs Corner Canyon question. I'd suggest Corner Canyon over LCC. Especially if you have 2-3 hours to kill, I can ride LCC in an hr and see all there is to see.

If you're planning on spending that much time Corner Canyon is the place to go. The trail system is massive and there are all kinds of terrain, beginner, intermediate, advanced, techy, flowy etc.

You can find the trails in CC here:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/tr...rnercanyon.htm

I'd recommend, Jacobs Ladder, Rush, Draper Downhill.

Also, if you can swing it, St George has some amazing riding as well, Goseberry Mesa, Zen Trail, Bearclaw Poppy. Just suggestions.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    So how are the trails in the SLC / Park City Area riding right now? We'll be up there next Thursday and will be itching to ride!
    Check here for most of Park City conditions: Trail Conditions | Snyderville Basin Special Recreation District
    Another resource, but for Round Valley part of PC. Might be a bit tame for what you want though: https://www.facebook.com/mountaintrailsfoundation

Forecast for the next several days is warm and dry, so should help clear up those few mud spots. Do note that Utah trails don't take well to being ridden when muddy, so avoid it if you can.
    Looks like some slight chance of rain around Tues/Wed, but who knows that far out?

mtbr member
    I was in Moab last week. Weather was perfect. We stayed at the La Qunita Inn on the south side of town. The location is good, rooms are nice and they are biker friendly. No complaints at all.

As far as rides go, we did Amasa back, but rode up the new Hymasa trail, out to Pothole Arch, and then back down Captain Ahab. If I could do it again I would ride out to the Amasa Overlook and skip Pothole Arch trail. So a good recommendation would be up Hymasa, follow Amasa out to the overlook, then back down Amasa to Hymasa/Captain Ahab. Captain Ahab is much more technical than Hymasa so only take it if your skill/energy level allow.

We did TWE starting at Kokopelli - The Bike shops were not shuttling up that far but we use a local that we've known for years that will take us as high as snow level permits. We did this on a Thursday, not a Saturday though and saw maybe 10 other riders out there the entire ride.

We tried the Moab Brand trails for the first time as a recovery ride before heading to SW Utah to hit Gooseberry Mesa. While not awe-inspring, they are all singletrack and the route we took made for a leisurely and scenic ride. Park at the Chuckwagon lot, ride up the small hill and start on EZ. Take it to the paved path, ride on that for 1/4 mile or so, then jump on Sidewinder. Sidewinder in not technical, but flows mostly down in that direction and it will bring you out again at the paved path. Ride it back up, jump on Escape to Deadman's ridge to Lazy. At the end of Lazy you will be back where you started. Our legs still felt good so we took North 40 counterclockwise and at the end of things we had done about 11 miles. We got a map of the system at one of the bike shops.

We also hit Bartlett Wash on our first day there after the long drive to Moab to stretch the legs.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and if you have a smart phone, Maprika is an excellent app and has several of the Moab trail maps loaded already.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eBayRider View Post
    We did TWE starting at Kokopelli - The Bike shops were not shuttling up that far but we use a local that we've known for years that will take us as high as snow level permits. We did this on a Thursday, not a Saturday though and saw maybe 10 other riders out there the entire ride.
    Sadly, the whole enchilada isn't....if you hold the Burro Pass and the Hazard. We're heading up today. If it changes, will inform.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Sadly, the whole enchilada isn't....if you hold the Burro Pass and the Hazard. We're heading up today. If it changes, will inform.
    Keep me posted on how far you get. We'll be hitting it Saturday and we're hoping the warm weather has opened up Hazard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eBayRider View Post
    I was in Moab last week. Weather was perfect. We stayed at the La Qunita Inn on the south side of town. The location is good, rooms are nice and they are biker friendly. No complaints at all.

As far as rides go, we did Amasa back, but rode up the new Hymasa trail, out to Pothole Arch, and then back down Captain Ahab. If I could do it again I would ride out to the Amasa Overlook and skip Pothole Arch trail. So a good recommendation would be up Hymasa, follow Amasa out to the overlook, then back down Amasa to Hymasa/Captain Ahab. Captain Ahab is much more technical than Hymasa so only take it if your skill/energy level allow.

We tried the Moab Brand trails for the first time as a recovery ride before heading to SW Utah to hit Gooseberry Mesa. While not awe-inspring, they are all singletrack and the route we took made for a leisurely and scenic ride. Park at the Chuckwagon lot, ride up the small hill and start on EZ. Take it to the paved path, ride on that for 1/4 mile or so, then jump on Sidewinder. Sidewinder in not technical, but flows mostly down in that direction and it will bring you out again at the paved path. Ride it back up, jump on Escape to Deadman's ridge to Lazy. At the end of Lazy you will be back where you started. Our legs still felt good so we took North 40 counterclockwise and at the end of things we had done about 11 miles. We got a map of the system at one of the bike shops.

We also hit Bartlett Wash on our first day there after the long drive to Moab to stretch the legs.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and if you have a smart phone, Maprika is an excellent app and has several of the Moab trail maps loaded already.
    Thanks for the intel. We'll probably hit up Amasa Back/ Capn' Ahab on Friday. I'll follow your recommended route. The wives will be with us so it might take awhile

btw,
    Is there an easy way to extend the ride. The ladies will wear quickly and we'd want to get them out and maybe get another hour of riding sans wives.

mtbr member
    If you have a smart phone, I highly recommend an app called Maprika and it's free. It's available for both Android and iOS. The Amasa trail system is available as a map - it does not show Hymasa trail because it is brand new, but everything else is there. Hymasa is easy to find and follow anyway since it is so well marked. The app uses GPS to follow your route so you know where you are on a trail. There are other Moab maps available too. Moab Brands, Klondike Bluffs, Mag 7, TWE and Gemini Bridges IIRC.

Other options to add to the Amasa Ride would be Rockstacker or Jackson Trail. Jackson Trail IMO was not an option due to the exposure/terrain. Pull up some videos on Youtube and you'll see what I mean. I would have the wives ride up with you to the top of Hymasa and maybe up Amasa back a little ways for the views, then send them back down Hymasa. There is nothing overly technical so they should be fine, then you can go on your way and explore.
    Last edited by Giant Clyde; 05-22-2014 at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Looks like we'll skip porcupine this trip. Did Amasa back yesterday out to Pothole. Jumped on Hymasa for one short section after crossing the stream. Great addition to open up the ride for technical intermediates, but we much prefer the original climb for its tech challenges. Once the ladies go up and down Hymasa, you could go out to pothole and back and then down Ahab. Or you could double tap it by going up Hymasa, back down and back up Amasa to Ahab. (Amasa to the saddle isn't a huge climb). That should add plenty. If you are considering Jackson, check with shop to see if exit is under water, the river is pretty high.