Visiting US in November, where to go?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Visiting US in November, where to go?

Hi,

I'm from Belgium and I will be in in Sunnyvale for my job the first week of November. I'm planning to glue a 2nd week of bike holidays to that (5-13th). I have been reading on the forums and the trail reviews, but it is a bit overwhelming and as I'm not familiar with the different areas and climate, I need some help

I'm looking for 3, max 4 different locations, each time staying for a day or 2, where I can make 30-40 mile rides(4-6hours). As I will be by myself, I would prefer areas with marked trails or where I can get a map with trail descriptions in a bike shop or visitor center. Unless someone wants to join as a guide ;-) And as I will be stuck in rain and near-freezing temperatures in Belgian winter for a while, I prefer somewhat warmer and sunny

The first rough idea: Sunnyvale/Santa Cruz(?) - Kernville - Las Vegas (Cottonwood valley?) - St George/Bryce (Red Canyon?) - Moab. I'll probably have to drop Moab (too far distance).

I'm a XC marathon rider in reasonable good shape, 50 mile rides with 6000 feet (rideable) climbing should be fine. I prefer to avoid shuttles and do the climbs myself in order to "earn" the downhill. I like (technical) singletrack, altough I do not have supertechnical skills. Check www.reevax.be for the typical things we are doing (unfortunately only partially in English). I'm planning on bringing a XC hardtail (Orbea Alma) and renting a car to get around.

Which places/trails can you recommend this period of the year ?
    Thunder Mountain in Red Canyon seems to be a great trail, is that still doable in that period?
    I do not plan to make any reservations for accomodation to be flexible, I guess this should be fine this time of the year?

Happy trails,
    Steven

PS: posted also in the NoCal forum

mtbr member
    May 2009
    St George should be very nice. Rides to consider.... Gooseberry, Little Creek, JEM/Goulds/Hurricane Rim combo, Zen, Bearclay-Poppy, and several others. You can spend three or more days in St George and not ride the same trail twice and enjoy all singletrack every day.

Thunder Mountain and Red Canyon are cooling off a lot with Highs in low 50's and lows below freezing. Early November can be nice (but cool) or rainy/snowing crappy. Make a last minute decision for Thunder Mountain based on weather.

Hope that helps.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can't speak for California or Vegas, but as far as UT goes check out

www.utahmountainbiking.com

Select "trails" category and you can then select "select by region" then go to tab labeled "Southwest" and then tab labeled "St George, Gooseberry". This will give you ride descriptions and maps/GPS/etc.

I would guess Thunder Mountain may be 50/50 for reasons mentioned by STT GUY. But the St George stuff should be awesome. The Green Valley trails could easily be linked into a longer ride. Gooseberry can be done numerous ways also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'll check the local weather for Thunder Mountain while I'm there.
    Thanks all for the info and the link to the trail maps/descriptions. It's great.

Members who have read this thread: 0