Visiting St. George next week... Ideas?- Mtbr.com
    it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008

Visiting St. George next week... Ideas?

First, should I bring my own bike or rent?

I'm hoping to ride several days I'll be there. I know it pencils out cheaper to bring my bike than to rent but it's a PITA. I'd like get into a higher end (XT level...) AM bike. I checked shops online but didn't see much in the way of rentals. My bike is a Devinci Hektic w/ Maverick DUC32 XT/XTR and Joplin. I know I probably won't be able to rent anything like that but I'm open to ideas.

I'd love any ride recommendations, also. I'm from Bend, OR and I like Int. to Adv. technical and loops (or out-n-backs) of two or four hours. I'll have multiple days to ride between 6/29 - 7/3. I've been to Moab numerous times and I'm stoked to check out the SW Utah Slickrock or other must rides. (hello, Gooseberry, right?)

Thanks!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you decide to rent, you might want to check out Over The Edge. Don't know what they have available at the moment, but they do rent out turners, knollys, ibis, pivots, & such.

Besides Gooseberry & Little Creek, I'd try to spend a day or two riding thunder mountain & the trails around brian head. Have fun!

mtbr member

Been riding a bunch in St. George this spring

I just started riding around St. George this Spring. Happen to have a place to crash there and high snow and rain have been limiting riding around SLC a bit. There's a shop on Bluff Street call Red Rock (or close). They are a Specialized shop and I think they rent/demo. I don't really know Specls to well but the guys are very helpful and have maps of area trails, just tell them what you are looking for. Burn a day on Gooseberry, North Rim side and don't miss Hidden Cnyn. Some fun two hourish trails near town are Barrel Roll loop (desert singletrack) and Zen Trail loop (mix of slickrock techy climb and singletrack). Check out Grafton Mesa for a shuttle near Gooseberry.

Tire choice is an interesting challenge in the area. Buy a slickrock specific tire for those type trails, but they suck on the loose dirt. The the rock, like Gooseberry, chews up your dirt lugs in like one day. If its a mix, like Zen, flip a coin.

Have fun, the riding is great and views are even better. If it was closer to Moab the trails right out of town would be a mob scene.

it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008
    Thanks y'all!

Had not thought about tires. I'm running a WTB Stout front and Weirwolf rear - work great for Bend but they'll typically last a whole season here.

I didn't know OTE spread to Hurricane. I will def check them and Red Rock. Glad it's still a bit "quiet" down that side of the state. Those days in Bend are over :-( or :-) depending on who you work for...

Thanks!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

I'd rather be biking...
    Last time I checked Red Rock doesnt really rent out bikes, they do Demo them but i wouldn't rely on them for a rental. OTE in hurricane would be your bet for Rentals and also Bikes unlimited in St. George, they rent out cannondales.

Go check out utahmountainbiking.com for trail info. Ride Gooseberry, Little creek, Jem, Zen, Barrel Roll, Barrels, Church rocks/prospecter. If possible it would be a good idea to take a day trip up to Thunder mountain near Panguitch. You'll get to drive through Zion which is a plus too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I go to Bend every few weeks and for some reason have never gone out to ride. I'd be happy to show you some of the trails here if you wanted to hook me up in Bend some time.

it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KO21
    I go to Bend every few weeks and for some reason have never gone out to ride. I'd be happy to show you some of the trails here if you wanted to hook me up in Bend some time.
    Word! That works for me.

PM sent.

mtbr member

I love SW UT riding!

All good trail suggestions, but you may not be aware of the extreme tempuratures you'll be facing that time of year, especially on the lower, immediate St. George area stuff.

Thunder Mountain should be OK (Around 7000'). You might want to check out Brianhead/Navajo Lake too (around 9-10K'). If you do Gooseberry and Little Creek (4000-5000') just be aware of the temps and ride early and be prepared.

If you ride in St. George (Barrels, Zen, Bearclaw Poppy) it could be 85 for an over night low. Daytime highs 100-110 F.
    Last edited by KRob; 06-18-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ZION CYCLES in Springdale near Zion National Park rents a wide variety of mountain bikes. Reasonable rates and extra friendly service. Fred at Zion Cycles has great maps and alot of information on local trails. www.zioncycles.com

NOT Team Sanchez

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by NTENSE1
    ZION CYCLES in Springdale near Zion National Park rents a wide variety of mountain bikes. Reasonable rates and extra friendly service. Fred at Zion Cycles has great maps and alot of information on local trails. www.zioncycles.com
    Zion Cycles has IMO the best fleet, OTE is spendy dude...........$90 for their nice rental for half a day. Bill and Fred rock
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hate to hijack, but I'm looking for info too. . .

Towns or places to stay near Littlecreek, Goose? Is it too far to try to daytrip from Brianhead to those areas? What about Thunder Mtn? St George seemed a little far and pretty hot. Hurricane may be better?

Original plan was to spend most of the time at Brianhead and then hit Gooseberry then head home, but with the recent weather. . . I'm thinking Goose and Littlecreek would be pretty awesome, then up to Thunder on the way to Brianhead so it can dry out a little longer.

Also wonder about the Three Peaks trails in Cedar City. .

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'll be getting there either tomorrow evening or the next day. TONS of riding. Let's get together as a group and kick some serious butt! I have to run right now, but I'll be online later tonight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave

Towns or places to stay near Littlecreek, Goose? Is it too far to try to daytrip from Brianhead to those areas? What about Thunder Mtn? St George seemed a little far and pretty hot. Hurricane may be better?

Original plan was to spend most of the time at Brianhead and then hit Gooseberry then head home, but with the recent weather. . . I'm thinking Goose and Littlecreek would be pretty awesome, then up to Thunder on the way to Brianhead so it can dry out a little longer.

Any thoughts?
    If riding Little Creek Mountain nearest hotels are in Hurricane. Springdale is closer to Gooseberry but the road sucks. Beautiful canyon leading into Zion but lodging is expensive. If you need directions to Little Creek let me know.
    Panguitch is farily close to Thunder and has cheap hotels. Bryce is well worth the hike and the western entrance to Losee Canyon is a beautiful spot 1/2 hour walk full of arches and windows.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave

Any thoughts?
    Hurricane to Gooseberry or Little Creek is about a wash time wise. Springdale is just the cooler spot to stay by far, better amenities, better scene.

Brian Head is about 1.5-2 hour drive from Hurricane and at least Bunker Creek is open according to the other thread. There's some sweet camping to be had up that way too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks all!

Members who have read this thread: 0