Visiting St. George - need ride buddy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Visiting St. George - need ride buddy

My wife and I will be visiting St. George from August 27th through 31 I will be bringing my bike and will have one day to ride, probably the 29th.

I'm looking to find someone to ride with who can show me the trails. My direct email address is "bruce" at-sign "sendlgm" dot "com." (This usage makes it harder for bots to spam me.)

For vacation rides I like green and blue trails. I'm told the Jem trail is good, but requires some local knowledge.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    You'd probably be fine riding JEM by yourself. It's a relatively small network and you can't really get too lost as the entire area is between two highways. Having Trailforks on your phone would be a little extra insurance. Other than a bit of exposure along the Virgin river on the section that approaches Highway 9 (?), there isn't anything scary or technical where you could get into too much trouble.

For a funner ride (IMHO), and something that better exemplifies the riding in the area, I would recommend Guacamole Trail. It's a fun mix of rock and dirt, and the easiest of the "mesa" rides in the area (e.g., Gooseberry and Little Creek). It's off Highway 9 outside of Virgin. It's definitely more technical than JEM, but not nearly as intimidating as Goose or LC. I refer to it as Gooseberry "light."

mtbr member
    Depending omg the route you take, it's nearly impossible to get lost on the JEM Trail. If you have your wife drop you at the top off Hwy 59, I dare say it IS impossible to get lost. In any case, download the Trailforks app on your phone and you shouldn't have any worries no matter what you ride.

I agree with Padlz that Guacamole is a great ride but it has been supplanted as the easiest mesa ride by Wire Mesa. However, it's not the easiest to find or get to be somebody that has never been there.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Since this is not a MTB vacation, but a family vacation on which I'm able to take a MTB, which is easier?

Also, is there any sort of an easy fire road that my wife can ride her hybred on?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    JEM network is much easier. Without knowing her riding abilities and comfort zone, hard to say, but she could be fine riding a lot of JEM on a hybrid bike, and yes there are dirt roads out there as well. As far as JEM itself goes, technical spots are few and far between. The only place that comes to mind right away is where the trail transitions down from the upper shelf to the lower shelf.

There is also a paved bike path that runs along highway 9 from outside Springdale over to (and with the option of going into) Zion National Park that could be a good option for her as well if she prefers not to ride dirt.

If you're staying in STG another paved path option is the path that goes up Snow Canyon out of St. George. Really scenic. That option would be more of a drop her off before you head out sort of thing, and having her ride back to STG on her own. https://utah.com/road-biking/snow-canyon-trail

Actually if you're staying in STG, you might consider riding the combination loop of Bear Claw Poppy and Stucki Springs right there in STG. It's a fun, flowy ride with some options for adding in some short steep drops (acid drops, clavicle hill, etc.). I recommend starting at the Navajo Drive trailhead (Bloomington TH in the linked trail page) and riding up and out including both Bear Claw and Stucki. IMO this is more fun than JEM, but admittedly, I'm not a huge JEM fan. Stucki Springs Trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for all the info. I rode Bearclaw Poppy. It was outstanding.