Visiting SLC...one free afternoon/eve for dirt!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Visiting SLC...one free afternoon/eve for dirt!

Hi All - I'm visiting your fine city for a conference this week and hope to get in some quick/local morning rides in around the SLC (Bonneville/Bobsled, Mueller Park). I'm staying at the Grand America & This thread was very helpful for those city recos.

I have Thursday afternoon (2pm+) where I can get a longer trip in...suggestions? I'll have a rental car.

I'm pretty intermediate rider (comfortable on blues), mediocre shape (usually in the upper bottom third in Strava speeds), and will be renting a bike. Can't say i've ridden in the high mountains before and typically prefer flowy single track here in NC vs. too many tight, technical turns. A normal ride for me is 10-12 miles with 600-900 vert feet.

Thinking Canyons, as the Wasatch Crest seems a little intimidating solo. Not much love for climbs either...but i'm tempted based on reviews. Is Wasatch an out and back, so I could just rock it until i wanted to turn around? Would love any recommendations!

Frame Building Moderator
    Hey Jeff -

Here's what I'd do if you want to get some flowy aspens/meadows riding in but aren't sure how far you want to go:
    -Drive up to Park City and park at the main PCMR lot.
    -Ride up Jennis trail - if you are feeling awful from the climbing or elevation, you can bail downhill after a few miles, or you can:
    -Ride north on Midmountain to Spiro and descend back to your start.

There are tons of descending options, most of which are flowy/fast/nontechnical. If you want a bigger challenge try John's - lots of tight trees and some roots to keep things more technical.

You can make a very short or very long ride and at *most* points easily bail back downhill if you aren't feeling it and arrive back at the car with minimal effort.

If you don't love climbing, Wasatch Crest is not going to be your thing.

-Walt