mtbr member
    May 2014

Visiting Park City in May. Trails rideable? Good place to rent from?

I'll be visiting with some family out in Utah mid May. One of the enticements to getting me out there was dropping me off in Park City for a day. I've always wanted to hit up Park City, get my wish this year.

Around here, May means all trails are open. Is it the same there? I'll also be looking for a place to rent a bike from. Are there any recommendations for that or possibly some sort of tour? I'm dead center intermediate skilled. Figure I'm good for a 20ish mile 1500 feet climbing ride (give or take on distance/elevation). Not to far, I know, but it's what my legs will give me. Would love to hit some trails that get those huge views I always see.

Moderator Moderator

Too early

We will have some trails open by then, but none of the "huge view" (Wasatch Crest, Pinecone, etc) stuff, probably. But it depends a bit on the snow in the spring.

Basically, you won't be disappointed that you brought your bike, but you will need to be flexible about what you ride (Round Valley, Glenwild, *maybe* Flying Dog) and leave the higher elevation stuff for your next visit. Keep riding in SLC in mind too, Corner Canyon, BST, and other lower elevation stuff should all be good to go and is super fun.

You never know, though, we could have a super dry/warm spring and some higher elevation stuff might have melted out. I'd be pretty surprised, though.

Check in again in late April and we'll know more.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by wreckster View Post
    I'll be visiting with some family out in Utah mid May. One of the enticements to getting me out there was dropping me off in Park City for a day. I've always wanted to hit up Park City, get my wish this year.

Around here, May means all trails are open. Is it the same there? I'll also be looking for a place to rent a bike from. Are there any recommendations for that or possibly some sort of tour? I'm dead center intermediate skilled. Figure I'm good for a 20ish mile 1500 feet climbing ride (give or take on distance/elevation). Not to far, I know, but it's what my legs will give me. Would love to hit some trails that get those huge views I always see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckster View Post

As Walt said, too early for most of the upper alpine big country views. The riding should be ok for the trails under 8k elevation by then.

We got a lot of snow as did the rest of the western US so this year could be a different story than most.

I'd suggest joining MTB Enthusiasts of Utah on Facebook for additional local trail and rental insights.

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah, I am going to withdraw my "we will have some trails open by then" statement. We *might* have open trails. We also might not, the snow just keeps coming.

-W