Visiting from FL in 2 weeks!! 1x9 26" ok?- Mtbr.com
    trying to ride
    Sep 2005

Visiting from FL in 2 weeks!! 1x9 26" ok?

I know this is an open ended question but I'm setup with a 07 stumpjummper FSR 1x9. I'm running a 34 tooth in the front and a 11-34 in the rear. I've rode in Nc/Ga/Sc many times but never with a 1x9.

I've been doing some racing and such and consider myself to be in pretty good shape.
    A buddy and I are planning to ride as much of the "whole enchilada" as we can as well as slick rock and what ever else we find ourselves on.

Should I slap the granny gear back on?

I think I'm good on tires from reading other posts... 2.1 nev ust in the front, 2.25 mibro rear. Also bringing 2.5 ust DH minions front/rear

Thanks !!!
    Adam

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I rode the same set-up (for gears) with a chainguide. I sometimes miss my granny, but not much. I switched to 32 up front midway through last Spring though.

trying to ride
    Sep 2005
    Cool, I have a new 32 tooth sprocket in the parts bin just in case... sounds like I'm going to end up using it!

frejwilk
    The 26" wheels and single chainring won't be a problem. That's what many people around Moab are running. Like the previous poster mentioned, most of them are also using some kind of chainguide. For good reason.

There have been numerous threads recently describing conditions and seasons for the 'Whole Enchilada'.

Have fun,

FW

Ride and Smile
    I'd say yes except for that you're coming from a flat state. I was running a 1x9 until this week and really liked it. A 1x9 is a great setup for moab if you can push the gears.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm sure your experience in Pisgah will help you overcome your current residence of FL ;-)

The climbs in Moab are VERY steep, but very short and have excellent traction compared to a wet Pisgah ride. Just stand and hammer.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    I'm sure your experience in Pisgah will help you overcome your current residence of FL ;-)

The climbs in Moab are VERY steep, but very short and have excellent traction compared to a wet Pisgah ride. Just stand and hammer.
    I agree, except for the very short part. Amasa back is kinda short, blue dot-not really....

trying to ride
    Sep 2005
    Well, I sort of changed my mind on bikes after some trail video... will be bringing a Kona Coiler setup 1x9 of course Gonna suck to pedal the extra weight but will hold up much better pointed down hill with stans flow rims, 2.35 stick-e nevs and Code brakes. Man I love 4 piston calipers headed down hill ! 1 finger braking that doesn't leave my hands crippled up lol

Thanks guys,

Can't wait to get out there !

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave

Climbs in FL are usually short and very steep. I actually had someone tell me once that Razorback (RIP) was the closest thing to slickrock he had ever ridden, because it was tons of short steep climbs. So if that's true we should be ok.

Members who have read this thread: 0