Visiting this coming weekend (13th - 15th) from Oregon - group rides?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Visiting this coming weekend (13th - 15th) from Oregon - group rides?

I've seen the other post about riding spots, looks like some good info here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/will-slc...de-916240.html

I guess my question is, are there any group rides on the weekends? I am a Cat 1 XC guy, not looking for a hardcore race pace ride though, but something brisk / challenging would be awesome.

Also, any suggestions on where to rent a XC bike in the area? A nice carbon something or other would be rad.

Thanks,

N

mtbr member
    It's hard to find group rides around here, at least that's been my experience. In Park City there are a lot more xc riders/racers than on the Salt Lake side's trails. There are some incredibly good CAT 1 racers in the area, but the scales are most definitely tipped toward casual AM riders. Most people are pretty friendly though, and it isn't too hard to find a small group getting ready at the trailhead and ask if you can tag along. I've done that a few times and never had a problem. You'll probably have the best luck at the trailheads for the mid Mountain trail in PC, and the Flying Dog/Jeremy Ranch areas. Rode Flying Dog on Saturday and it was in excellent condition. 15 degrees cooler than Corner Canyon as well, which is always nice.

Regarding nice xc bike rentals, I have no idea if Contender, Millcreek Cycles, or any of the other heavy hitters in Salt lake rent bikes at all, let alone nice carbon xc bikes. I know Go-Ride does, but they're much more oriented toward AM, freeride, and DH and their selection is in line with that. Great shop though. You might want to try Guthrie Cycles, Canyon Bicycles, or Bingham Cyclery as well. Bingham is especially good if you like Specialized bikes.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Many of those shops will rent, but it might fall under the guise of a demo. Which could be a bit more expensive.

Frame Building Moderator
    Jan's and Cole Sport up in PC will have some rentals/demos but I think if you want a really blinged out XC bike you'll have to demo and pay more. Not a lot of places renting carbon race bikes AFAIK.

If you are motivated to ride fast, I'd just roll solo. If you want to enjoy some company, just head up to PC on any weekend morning and start riding up Armstrong at a very casual pace. When a group comes by that is going the speed you like, tag along.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the responses thus far.

Any riding areas closer to Ogden worth checking out?

mtbr member
    At Redstone at Kimball Junction, there's a new shop... Storm Cycles ( Storm Cycles Park City Utah ). They don't have rentals, but they have some high end 29er XC type stuff for demo.

Your Best Friend
    I rent carbon Anthem Advanced 2 27.5 bikes. PM me if you need one and for prices. Don't want to spam here.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There are a few meetup groups that you can check. One of them is SLCMTB. Take a look and see what is going on. It looks like mainly lift-served rides this weekend, but rides get added all the time. Most of the resorts open this weekend so that's likely part of the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    I've seen the other post about riding spots, looks like some good info here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/will-slc...de-916240.html

I guess my question is, are there any group rides on the weekends? I am a Cat 1 XC guy, not looking for a hardcore race pace ride though, but something brisk / challenging would be awesome.

Also, any suggestions on where to rent a XC bike in the area? A nice carbon something or other would be rad.

Thanks,

N

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    SLCMTB is more geared towards beginner/intermediate, than someone who is Cat 1. Not that there aren't riders in SLCMTB who could do that, but the meetups they organize are not that level.