Virgin River Rim route- Mtbr.com
    I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Virgin River Rim route

Looking at the entire trail as a bit of an epic day. Is the ride as described on utahmountainbiking.com a reasonable way to ride it, using a 2 car shuttle? Likely camp somewhere central to the ride and drop off a car at the end and the beginning OR camp near the end and just use one car, finishing at camp if possible.

In any case, any better way to ride the whole route?

I have been in the area once before for the Brianhead 100/50 miler. I am driving from out of state, so the more I know beforehand, the better.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

NMBP
    I personally hate the drive out to Strawberry Point. Long and very dusty. I would camp at Navajo Lake and ride the trail as an out and back both directions.

When I have shuttled the ride, we find someone not riding to drive us to Strawberry, and leave a car at Woods Ranch on the way up the canyon.

For my own less organized rides, I start at Cascade Falls and ride as far east as I have the legs for, then turn around and head back to the vehicle. The worst climb is west from Cascade to the top above Navajo.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Good info. I see what you mean about splitting it from the lake area. I really would like to ride it from end to end if I was going to drive that far from home, but if I only had one vehicle, then your way makes sense.

Any direction, east or west from the lake that you prefer, ie better ride, etc?
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

NMBP
    I have ridden around and above Navajo the most, also west of the lake a lot. The eastern end has the best views though. The eastern end also sees a lot more illegal ATV incursions.

It's a great ride from point to point, except that the shuttle part sucks. If you try to do the full length, water is available at the Teah campground on the west end of the lake (assuming you will be there while the campground is still open).

I noticed that the .tpo version on UtahMountainBiking has the trail going along the lake until it climbs up at Spruce. There are also trails up from the lake at Teah, Lodge, and Navajo campground.

Hope I've given you more help than confusion.

Mar 2008

I start at Cascade Falls

I usually start at Cascade Falls, and follow the trail towards Strawberry point. It's a good climb, 2+ miles, but its downhill for quite a while after that.

Only at the very end do you really climb back up to Strawberry Point.

The other way I typically ride it, is to start at the TEAH campground at Navajo lake, and drop down into Woods Ranch, its a nice mix of downhill and some beautiful XC riding.

NMBP
    Another nice ride is to start at Wood's, or Webster's and ride to Navajo, go around the lake and back to vehicle. You can make a fairly long ride out of this, and it's a short drive from Cedar.

Members who have read this thread: 0