Vernal Update??- Mtbr.com

Thread: Vernal Update??

Feb 2007

Vernal Update??

Is there anyone out there who is current on the conditions in Vernal?

sugoi chairinko

I'll update ya!!

I have a construction project in Vernal that will run through late Summer, so I'm there 2-4 days a week. I just got back last night, and it was nice yesterday & Wed., but the word is that it's snowing as we speak, so it may be a little while until riding is good there. I haven't ridden out there, but I am excited to sample what the area has to offer. I guess the answer to your question though, would be prolly at least a coupla weeks before the ground is dry enough. PM me if you are headed out that way, let's hook up & ride.

Feb 2007
    Thanks for the update. I kinda figured as much, but I'm chomping at the bit to ride right now, so I can never be too sure of things. Vernal is a great place to ride, and the guys that build the trails over there are very passionate about thier trails. It's just enough out of the way for most people, so it is hardly ever crowded there. I may have just opened up a can of worms on that one, but the local guys are dying to have people ride their trails. There one shop in town where you can pick up a map of the trails, which I highly recommend. They try and post signs on the trails, but rednecks usually use them for target practice. You definitely need to check it out...it's the new, less crowded Fruita.

sugoi chairinko
    I'm really looking forward to riding there all summer. As I said, I'll be there just about every week, and without the responsibilities of home & family (my wife & kids stay back in SLC) out there, I've got some decent time to spend riding. I bought a home in nearby Maeser for my crew to live in while we are working out there, so if you're looking for a place to crash, I've even got a couch if you need. Sounds like excellent riding, looking forward to it.

Feb 2007
    Thanks for the offer on a place to crash. My wife and I usually get a group of friends together and go over there for some great camping and riding. We enjoy the camping part as much as the riding part, so when you combine the two, it makes for a great time. We live in Steamboat, so it's a pretty short drive for us too. One of the better places is about 3-4 miles before you get into the western edge of town (coming from SLC direction). There's an old road that goes off to the right, and back in there are some sweet loop rides. Keep that bike handy on those work trips...

sugoi chairinko
    I'll definitely keep the bike handy. So now I'm wondering, how far is Steamboat? I hadn't even thought of going that direction to ride (the Colorado direction, that is).

Ridin in UT
    Call Troy at Altitude Cycle and he can help you out with trail conditions and maps. He's a good guy. I don't have his number but I bet google does There's some great riding over there, you'll have fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Vernal

Altitude Cycles phone no. is 435-789-2595. I havent been to Vernal to ride but in Roosevelt we have been riding between snow storms, infact we are just heading out for a ride now. Just riding parts for trails now, but hey its time on my bike.
    Anyway, Vernal shoud be the same. Call Alrtitude and they will give you the lowdown .F.Y.I there will be some new trails this spring! The guys from N.U.M.B. have been hard at work building new cool stuff!

See ya on the trail! Ed

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCO
    Is there anyone out there who is current on the conditions in Vernal?
    Check out the trails section on altitude's web site: http://www.altitudecycle.com/

I rode Red Mountain about 2 weeks ago. It was clear except for a huge iced over puddle (probably not iced over now). I also rode Jackelope two days later, it had a few sections that needed to be hiked due to snow. I haven't gone mountain biking since then but I talked to a friend today who said he biked yesterday afternoon in the McCoy Flats area and it was good to go. My guess is the Moo area is clear as long as cows haven't ruined the trails.

If any of you guys want to get together and ride, pm me and we'll try to get together.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

Members who have read this thread: 0