Vernal trails- Mtbr.com

Thread: Vernal trails

mfm
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Vernal trails

Hi:

Well be in Moab May 13 -20, then we are driving to Fruita for a day or two before beginning our trip home. On my road map, it looks as though Vernal is about a three hour drive away from Fruita. Is that about right? Does anyone in here have experience riding in this area? If you think it's worth trip, could you suggest a couple of trails which would be, maybe, 2-3 hours average ride time. Ideally wed like moderate climbing with advanced technical descending.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Vernal trails

The trails in Vernal are great! Lots of tight single track. Check out www.altitudecycle.com for trails and contacts.

Happy riding, Ed

sugoi chairinko
    Ed's right, the trails in Vernal are sweet. Very Fuita-like, but without all the people. It's a well-kept secret, so don't tell anyone. Oh crap, I guess I sorta screwed that one up. The guys at Altitude are super cool, be sure to stop in and get the dish.

Stay On The Trail
    Oct 2006

Vernal Trail Information

Go to: www.utahsingletrack.com for the Vernal trail guide and other information about rides in the Vernal area.

Craven

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

cool web sight

This is a verry cool web sight for North Eastern Utah riding.
    Thanks Craven!

Chicken Leggs

mfm
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Thanks!

We're leaving this morning. It seems as though others in our party think they'd rather try some trails in the Sun Valley area. I've ridden there and I think it's kind of boring. Does anyone have an opinion about the two areas to bolster my case for Vernal?

Bye. Next when I check in, I'll be in Moab.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

two reasons

Reason no.1. The wild flowers are amazing right now.

Reason no. 2. You will have the trails to your self.

mfm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi:

Thanks for that info. We're back home now and didn't make it to Vernal. Maybe next year. The wild flowers in Moab, too, were the best I've ever seen. I guess they've had a lot of rain this year because the desert was green. Crowds were low - especially on the less popular trails. Not that I mind crowds -- where I ride, I enjoy meeting up with people on the trail because otherwise it's just you and the bears.

mtbr member
    You didn't miss anything, the trails aren't crowded in Vernal for a reason. Pretty boring and you have to watch out for the single track nazis.

mfm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thats an interesting comment. Are you from Vernal? I think a remark like that could ignite a flame or two -- unless you're a local. By boring, do you mean "cow path" riding like the Bookcliffs in Fruita? I don't mind a little bit of that if it's really, really scenic.

Ha. Explain what do single track Nazis do. What do you mean?

mtbr member
    Not trying to ignite a flame, just speaking the truth. I'm not a vernal local, live in SLC. I made a trip out there a few years ago, very disappointing. The trails might be okay if you live in the area, but definitely not worth road tripping to. Flat, middle of the desert, not technical at all. Nothing like Fruita in my opinion. The single track nazis are the riders who ***** at you non-stop about staying on the singletrack, even before you've ridden the trail. All I remember is ditches, rocks and cacti strategically placed every spot where a rider might acidentally roll off the trail. And a few signs pointed to tread marks where someone went off the trail, commenting on how stupid they are. Just annoying...

mfm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ahh, well then, you've saved me a trip. I even think Fruita is overrated. Maybe the locals are hiding trails away for themselves because all the trails listed on the map I have could be ridden in three days --and that's if you want to spend a day riding cow paths.
    Anyway, thanks for your opinion. I think asking for trail advice is like asking people for their opionion on a good restaurant. Everyone has different taste and different expectations which might not be the same as your own.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by mfm
    Ahh, well then, you've saved me a trip. I even think Fruita is overrated. Maybe the locals are hiding trails away for themselves because all the trails listed on the map I have could be ridden in three days --and that's if you want to spend a day riding cow paths.
    Anyway, thanks for your opinion. I think asking for trail advice is like asking people for their opionion on a good restaurant. Everyone has different taste and different expectations which might not be the same as your own.
    18 Rd is not the place to go for technical trails in the Fruita/GJ area, plenty of easy to find stuff really close by though.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Park City, Utah
    Jun 2005
    Vernal has good stuff. Troy has done a good job buildng the trails there.
    Last edited by PC68; 05-27-2007 at 10:21 AM.

mtbr member
    I agree with spartandano. I'm all in favor of keeping the single track single...but when you try to injure riders who skid off the path by digging pits or planting cactus around corners its going too far. The trails are ok...but hardly worth a road trip.

Fruita OTOH rocks. If you didn't get to the Mack Ridge/Loma area you missed out.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Members who have read this thread: 0