Vernal Conditions?- Mtbr.com
    Ride, Rinse, Repeat

Vernal Conditions?

2 weeks out on a trip to sample the Vernal area for the first time.
    How are trail conditions looking these days?

Mountain Hippie
    Also curious. Might be driving through Thursday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleTR
    2 weeks out on a trip to sample the Vernal area for the first time.
    How are trail conditions looking these days?
    Aside from the fact that we got a bunch of people coming out who don't know how to leave features alone or use their rear brake properly the trails are great. The first drop on Retail that has been hardpacked for the last 12 years is pretty loose. I almost washed out on it today. The middle section of Slippery When Wet it pretty torn up and it looks like people have been moving rocks around to make some sections more or less ridable, not sure which.

Don't even think about dragging your rear brake and if you see a rock in the middle of the trail, assume it was placed in that exact spot for your riding pleasure. Do that and you'll have a blast.

Haven't been to Red Mountain yet. My guess is it's good to go, except maybe the very top in shady spots.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

Ride, Rinse, Repeat
    Thanks.

While I may be in the minority, I actually LIKE riding over rocks on my... Mountain... Bike. Likely won't be moving any....

Was mostly looking into if/when things melt out/dry off in the area. I'm assuming like most desert trails, they don't do well when wet or snowy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruinane
    Aside from the fact that we got a bunch of people coming out who don't know how to leave features alone or use their rear brake properly the trails are great. The first drop on Retail that has been hardpacked for the last 12 years is pretty loose. I almost washed out on it today. The middle section of Slippery When Wet it pretty torn up and it looks like people have been moving rocks around to make some sections more or less ridable, not sure which.

Don't even think about dragging your rear brake and if you see a rock in the middle of the trail, assume it was placed in that exact spot for your riding pleasure. Do that and you'll have a blast.

Haven't been to Red Mountain yet. My guess is it's good to go, except maybe the very top in shady spots.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleTR
    Thanks.

While I may be in the minority, I actually LIKE riding over rocks on my... Mountain... Bike. Likely won't be moving any....

Was mostly looking into if/when things melt out/dry off in the area. I'm assuming like most desert trails, they don't do well when wet or snowy.
    Sorry, I'm just a little ticked at the state of the trails this early in the season (and in just two weeks time).

The trails are mostly clay at the Corrals so if it's wet, it sticks to your tires/bike like glue. However the trails dry out very quickly.

As of now, all the trails are good to go.

The very top of Red Mountain in the shade probably has spots of snow but I wouldn't use that as an excuse to avoid it since it's not clay at the top and it's probably just a couple of spots that are like that.

Flume trail, I'm guessing is still unridable since it's all in the shade/mountains.

The rest is golden.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

Ride, Rinse, Repeat

Thanks....

Thanks, were figuring Flume was at too high of elevation to worry about yet.

Suspected some of that area was clay, based on the pictures, etc. That was what we were wondering about. wet + Clay = run away.

heading out the 29th... Now if it will just warm up a bit more, it'll be perfect

Members who have read this thread: 0