Vernal Bike Festival- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vernal Bike Festival - May 28-31

The annual NUMB Fest is coming next month in Vernal (Memorial Day weekend). There is no charge (it's free) and it's a good time and a great way to ride some of the Vernal trails with the locals. I could also arrange some special rides if there is a particular trail or area you're interested in, or direct you to trails I think you may like base in your bike and riding level. Let me now if your interested and I'll post more info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vernal Bike Festival-rojo-09-019-small.jpg  

Last edited by Trail Cruzer; 05-02-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    Interested. Please post more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy
    Interested. Please post more.
    Ditto.

Ride and Smile

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Ditto.
    What he said

mtbr member
    It is free and on Memorial Day weekend.

It is a great time. On Friday we all meet at the McCoy trail head, split into groups based on skill level and ride the various trails at McCoy. The rides will be lead by local riders and trail builders. After the ride we have a group cookout at the trail head. Many people camp at the McCoy Flat trial head (at least on Friday night because they don't want to drive after the adult beverages). There are a lot better places to camp. The best trail head camping is at the Jazz or Flume Trail head. The Flume is more traditional mountain camping with cottonwood trees, pick-nick tables and a steam flowing by the campground. Jazz is good desert camping with juniper trees for cover. Both offer access to good riding, and are only about 30 minutes from town. There are lots of motels in town and two Starte Parks if you want flush toilets etc.

There is usually a party on Saturday night at the Dino Brew House with prizes, goofy contests, etc. Guided rides are offered all three days. Because it is on Memorial Day Weekend this year we may shift it to a Sat, Sun, Monday I'll let you know.

Best rides for single speeds/hard tail - Milk and Cookies, Jazz, Race Track, Cork Screw.
    Best XC rides - Jazz, Retail Sale, Cork Screw, Flume, Surp.
    Best 5/6 inch travel AM trails - Rojo, Flume, Clockwise, More Hoes
    Killer shuttle downhill - Red Mountain

All Forum members are welcome to hang at my house and shower etc.

Did I forget anything?

I attached a few pics from the Friday night party last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vernal Bike Festival-023.jpg  

Vernal Bike Festival-024.jpg  

Vernal Bike Festival-028.jpg  

Ride and Smile

Yes

I'll be there +2
    Can't wait!

mtbr member
    nice. I look forward to riding with ya.

mtbr member
    I am definitely going to try to make this.

mtbr member

Just what the Dr. ordered

Looks great, happen to have M-Day weekend off for once and wanted a riding / camping weekend. How are trail conditions now? P.S. my boy happens to be a dinosaur nut so the locale seems perfect for the family ride, beverage, something for everyone getaway.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Cruzer

There is usually a party on Saturday night at the Dino Brew House with prizes, goofy contests, etc. Guided rides are offered all three days. Because it is on Memorial Day Weekend this year we may shift it to a Sat, Sun, Monday I'll let you know.
    Hope you shift to Sat-Sun-Mon cause I have monday off and can't come til Friday Night

mtbr member
    I am building up my Canfield or I would be there. Bummer ;(

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    Hope you shift to Sat-Sun-Mon cause I have Monday off and can't come til Friday Night
    NUMB Fest is pretty informal. You will not have any problem finding a ride to join on Monday. It will likely be Friday afternoon, Sat, Sunday, and Monday. I will check in with the ride leaders and post a ride schedule in the next week or so. I've included a few more Vernal pics for fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Canfield Brothers
    Looks fun, Michelle has been trying to get me down there after her trip last year. It'll be nice to have a guide so I don't end up riding up all weekend! haha

NOT Team Sanchez
    That looks really cool TC, thanks for all the hardwork and diplomacy up in that corner of the state.......now I need to talk to my wife about coming!
    I like bikes.

scars > tattoos
    this sounds like a great way to spend my birthday. further recruitment required.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    That looks really cool TC, thanks for all the hardwork and diplomacy up in that corner of the state.......now I need to talk to my wife about coming!

Thanks, I enjoy your trails as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Awesome!

I got +2/3 coming - leaving from Chicago on Friday. This is our first trip to Vernal, so it's seems like perfect timing. Where are the best dispersed/free camping sites?

Brian

Edit: Are the campsites listed above free? If not, what are the costs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 01000010rian
    Awesome!

I got +2/3 coming - leaving from Chicago on Friday. This is our first trip to Vernal, so it's seems like perfect timing. Where are the best dispersed/free camping sites?

Brian

Edit: Are the campsites listed above free? If not, what are the costs?
    There is free primitive camping at all of the trail heads (no drinking water). Most people will be camping the McCoy Flats trail head, but the best camping is at the Flume. There are also 2 State Parks that have nice camping with running water etc for about $20 per night.

I'll post some directions later on.

Ride and Smile

Where is the Flume?

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Cruzer
    It is free and on Memorial Day weekend.

It is a great time. On Friday we all meet at the McCoy trail head, split into groups based on skill level and ride the various trails at McCoy. The rides will be lead by local riders and trail builders. After the ride we have a group cookout at the trail head. Many people camp at the McCoy Flat trial head (at least on Friday night because they don't want to drive after the adult beverages). There are a lot better places to camp. The best trail head camping is at the Jazz or Flume Trail head. The Flume is more traditional mountain camping with cottonwood trees, pick-nick tables and a steam flowing by the campground. Jazz is good desert camping with juniper trees for cover. Both offer access to good riding, and are only about 30 minutes from town. There are lots of motels in town and two Starte Parks if you want flush toilets etc.

Best rides for single speeds/hard tail - Milk and Cookies, Jazz, Race Track, Cork Screw.
    Best XC rides - Jazz, Retail Sale, Cork Screw, Flume, Surp.
    Best 5/6 inch travel AM trails - Rojo, Flume, Clockwise, More Hoes
    Killer shuttle downhill - Red Mountain

I attached a few pics from the Friday night party last year.
    The Flume sounds like a good place to camp since it's on the 5-6 list of rides. I don't see it on utahmountainbiking.com, Can you give me some info on how to find it?

mtbr member
    More detail on NUMB Fest. It is free and there will be an easy and harder ride offered every day. There will be some kind of tailgate party after every ride so bring some goodies and join the party.

Friday May 28th: Meet at McCoy Flats Trail Head at 5:30 pm. We will ride Milk & Cookies and Serpendipity or Retail

Saturday May 29th: Meet at trail head at 11:00 am. Rides will be Jazz and Rojo

Sunday May 30th: Meet at trail head at 10:00 am. Rides will be Cork Screw and Race Track

Monday May 31: Meet at the Flume Trail Head

I tried to attached a Google earth file with the trail heads marked, but could not get it to work. I'll try again later. I attached a Jpg image of the map with the trial heads marked.

If you have questions, PM me. call Altitude Cycle 435-781-2595, or go to the NUMB group site on Face Book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vernal Bike Festival-vernal-bike-trails.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    The Flume sounds like a good place to camp since it's on the 5-6 list of rides. I don't see it on utahmountainbiking.com, Can you give me some info on how to find it?
    I've attached a map to an earlier post, but it is pretty easy to get to the Flume Trail Head. Go east on 500 N. in Vernal to 3500 W. Turn north and follow the signs about 10-12 miles on the Red Cloud Loop road. You will see a "Entering Public Lands" sign as you enter the narrow part of the canyon... start looking or a camping spot. It is nice. There is a stream that runs right along the road and camping area. The public toilet is a mile or 2 up the road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sounds awesome, see ya'll there!

mtbr member
    Two of us are heading there from SLC area Sunday morning, and we hope to join in the festivities.

Ride and Smile

Thanks-what a blast!

Hey thanks to all for the great riding, awesome folks, and amazing hospitality! Great introduction to the Vernal trails.
    I need a favor, I lost the slip of paper to email the BLM (Want to tell them to keep up the good work that you are doing for them) Could someone post it up?

Members who have read this thread: 0