Vernal- Mtbr.com

Thread: Vernal

MK_
    carpe mañana

Vernal

Can anyone give me some info on the trails in Vernal? I read the article in the latest Bike Magazine and utahsingletrack website; I'd love to hear something from personal experience of one of you!

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

Stay On The Trail
    Oct 2006

Curious

Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Can anyone give me some info on the trails in Vernal? I read the article in the latest Bike Magazine and utahsingletrack website; I'd love to hear something from personal experience of one of you!

_MK
    What did the magazine have to say?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Went and rode the trails in vernal for a weekend last year. We are planning to go back. Just based on what I rode in a few days I think the guys building the trails really know what they are doing. If you like technical 1-track its worth checking out.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by sngltrc
    What did the magazine have to say?
    It's difficult to paraphrase, but best I can do in short is it's a mixture of Moab and Fruita and a little bit of high country, but what do I know, I've only read the article. The trails are very narrow and are mostly old cow paths massaged into tight, twisty singletrack. There's a total of over 100 miles of it. Coming from Denver area, we also have an option to hit up Winter Park and Steamboat on the same trip.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

The Sentinel

Check out Altitude Cycle...

...they are a local shop, and have quite an extensive trail map/list on their website.

http://www.altitudecycle.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Can anyone give me some info on the trails in Vernal?
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Headed there this weekend. I'll report back.

Can anyone provide information on a good place to camp? Free is best, ideally riding distance to trailheads... but willing to pay for a place with good sites and not overrun by RV's and generators.

PM if necessary.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Potsie

Can anyone provide information on a good place to camp? Free is best, ideally riding distance to trailheads... but willing to pay for a place with good sites and not overrun by RV's and generators.

PM if necessary.

Thanks.
    I lived there last May through August and camped quite a bit. No free camping as far as I know. But there is camping about 10 minutes north of town. At Red Fleet State Park & Steinaker State Park. Red fleet is very cool and much better than Steinaker. Both are $9 a night.

http://www.go-utah.com/Vernal/Camping
    Ignoranus: (N) A person who is both stupid and an a**hole.

I'd rather be biking...
    Ha, I read The same Article last night and had the same question.

Stay On The Trail
    Oct 2006

Camping Options

Quote Originally Posted by Potsie

PM if necessary.

Thanks.
    There are lots of potential camping spots along the McCoy Flat road. It is about 6 miles from the turnoff on Highway 40 to the trailhead at the corral. There are lots of small dirt, two-track spurs that run east into the junipers where you could set up camp. Then you could ride to the trailhead. This is all BLM land and the camping is free. If you want the State Park experience, I agree with Steinaker and Red Fleet, however you will have drives of from 3 to 15 miles to get to the trailheads.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Take a look at this link:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...d176ecf83dfec1

It shows you the location of trails in relation to Vernal.
    Also, check this out:

http://utahsingletrack.com/trailmaps.aspx

I has some detailed trail maps, etc.
    Be sure to support Altitude, though, by at least buying a map.

_MK

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the camping info. Looks like the weather might not cooperate for this weekend. Hopefully get out there soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If you come next spring, look me up.
    Mountain Biking Trails

This is the main page for our office. Its worth coming out! From forest based deep canyon (flume trail) to desert single track (McCoy Flats) to Technical craters of the moon flow (Rojo) and the New JBoy with epic red rock climbs, vues and technical feature challenges, you'll love the variety and the lack of crouds.

Members who have read this thread: 0