Vail Construction- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vail Construction

Anyone want to inform, posture, shed light on, estimate, guess, or otherwise concerning the impact that Vail's construction will have on MTB trails this summer?

I know that they are building a few new lifts. They are replacing King Kon with a 6 pack, and motherlode with a quad. More concerning is the new gondola connecting Thaynes Canyon with Iron Mountain. They are also replacing the Snow Hut restaurant.

Does anyone know how this will generally affect: MMT, Pinecone, CMG, Spiro, Ironman, Crest, Powerline, Keystone, Apex, etc. Especially Pinecone, Sprio, MMT...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Subscribe.

I too am very interested in this. I'm not one of the people who is all up in arms about vail coming in and taking over. I, for one, enjoy skiing two mountains for less than the price of any other single mountain in the area. But I am very concerned about the bike trails. I've only been here a few years and am just learning the trail system, and I plan on spending a lot of time up there this summer. It would really suck having to navigate around lots of construction.

mtbr member
    I've been here for 25 years and have seen lots of construction up at the mountains. It has always been pretty isolated, so I don't think you're going to see a major interruption. Also, there are now quite a few more areas with trails. I think you will be able to still enjoy the riding up here this summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpramick View Post
    Subscribe.

I too am very interested in this. I'm not one of the people who is all up in arms about vail coming in and taking over. I, for one, enjoy skiing two mountains for less than the price of any other single mountain in the area. But I am very concerned about the bike trails. I've only been here a few years and am just learning the trail system, and I plan on spending a lot of time up there this summer. It would really suck having to navigate around lots of construction.
    I am also one of those that does not care too much about Vail coming in. So if the title of my thread indicated any malice towards them, it was not intentional.

@MSUAlum, I would typically agree.. but this seems like much more construction than is "typical"

Colorado
    It sounds pretty funny when you all say Vail construction. It's not like you're going to see a bunch of trucks rolling in to town that say Vail on the side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    It sounds pretty funny when you all say Vail construction. It's not like you're going to see a bunch of trucks rolling in to town that say Vail on the side.
    I got an email - I forget whether it was from Vail or Basin Recreation - noting that Mid-Mountain may be closed now or then this summer when they are putting in pads and towers for the new gondola. The email said the closure would be announced in advance. The general tone was that when it happens it will probably only be for a few days.

Keep an eye on the basin rec and pcmr/canyons web sites. Any construction-related closure will be announced way in advance.

I assume that replacing King Kon and the Snow Hut can be done without much disruption to the nearby trails. The email I got didn't mention any other potential closures.