Vacation in SLC, need trail advice- Mtbr.com
    Code Burr

Vacation in SLC, need trail advice

Where do you guys recommend riding for someone from Texas? I'll be honest and admit I cant handle real climbs (since there arent any here) but technical stuff is ok with me. I've hiked Mill Creek Canyon and been to Alta, Snowbird, and Deer Valley before. Do the resorts have lifts in the summer? I'll be there in July. I ride a turner 5 spot and usually top out around the 20 mile marker here in Texas. My mom stays in SLC so thats base camp. 21st south and foothill.
    t

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    Where do you guys recommend riding for someone from Texas? I'll be honest and admit I cant handle real climbs (since there arent any here) but technical stuff is ok with me. I've hiked Mill Creek Canyon and been to Alta, Snowbird, and Deer Valley before. Do the resorts have lifts in the summer? I'll be there in July. I ride a turner 5 spot and usually top out around the 20 mile marker here in Texas. My mom stays in SLC so thats base camp. 21st south and foothill.
    t
    I'd recommend hitting one of the shops in Park City, buying the latest trail map (there's been a lot of rerouting going on the past couple years due to construction) and just getting lost. Most of the trails up there are marked pretty well and if you're creative enough you can piece together any length ride you want.

If you're here in July, Deer Valley resort will be open for lift access mountain biking-$28 this year. Most of their lower trails are already dry. They haven't been known for maintaining their trails while they continue to raise lift prices. However, if you're on a 5 Spot you probably won't be hitting the stuff that needs a lot of work.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Go to utahmountainbiking dot com and read the trail reports for the SLC and Park City areas to see which ones sound good to you.

And I agree with slcrockymountainrider, the maps are well done for the area, and Deer Valley sucks on their maint. for their more advanced runs!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would just head up here to Park City. Mid mountain trail, spin cycle possibly... Definitely get the map (it's only $2) and... get lost!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would suggest Millcreek Canyon and Park City. Lots of options in Park City, go to a shop up there a buy a map and get their suggestions.
    utahmountainbiking.com is a great resourse as well.

Code Burr
    Mill Creek sounds good, its close to home. Whats a good shop for a rental and what do they carry? Oh yeah, anyone off during the day willing to show me around? I'll buy the beer or whatever your drinking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lots of good shops in slc.

I am not sure who does rental bikes however. Your pretty close to Guthries, Cyclesmith, Fishers, Contender, and Canyon sports. . However the best shop in the Valley is Revoultion Mountain Sports. 801-233-1400. They have quite a selection of Demo bikes that can be rented for a few days at a reasonable cost. Only problem is they are located way down south.
    I might be down for a ride in millcreek when your here. I like to do lots of climbing however but if thats ok with you it should work out.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    If you're here in July, Deer Valley resort will be open for lift access mountain biking-$28 this year. Most of their lower trails are already dry. They haven't been known for maintaining their trails while they continue to raise lift prices. However, if you're on a 5 Spot you probably won't be hitting the stuff that needs a lot of work.
    Yeah, it's expensive and they may not buff the trails out as good as they could, but they still have some of the best technical riding around and I would say (having owned a 5-spot), that there isn't really any trail in deer valley you can't ride on one. (given an RFX would be better).

If you say you don't have climbing experience, pay the high lift prices and have a ton of fun. DV is a blast!

Talentless Hack
    t
    You could always give climbing the good ol'fashion college try and if you need too push the bike. No shame in that, I've probably pushed my bike a couple thousand miles over the past few years. You may even learn that you like the challenge after a few days.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Code Burr
    Yeah, lets climb, why not, I actually like climbing here in Texas as long as I can breathe. It might be nice to climb in sub 100 degree heat. I'm not bent on deer valley but it would be nice to head out there or park city. I remember that alpine slide they used to have and crashing on it when I was a kid.

What bike do you guys recommend for mill creek area? Something like a 4" travel racer x or something like that?

Ride and Smile
    People out here will recommend anything from sub 25lb xc to freeride. Ride what works for you. I don't mind hauling up my 36lb Can Diggle on any trail here. Many would probably say your five spot is a perfect bike for the Wasatch.

Talentless Hack
    Yeah, lets climb, why not, I actually like climbing here in Texas as long as I can breathe. It might be nice to climb in sub 100 degree heat. I'm not bent on deer valley but it would be nice to head out there or park city. I remember that alpine slide they used to have and crashing on it when I was a kid.

What bike do you guys recommend for mill creek area? Something like a 4" travel racer x or something like that?
    Anything will work, PM me when you get to town. We can hook up for a ride.
    James
    Sierra Club Sucks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Me too....

Thanks for the info in response to the OP. I will be heading to SLC next week for a family wedding (aug 5-12), and will be staying a week. I will be staying with my wife and inlaws in Bountiful but I hope to get a day or two on the trails, It looks like Sunday through Tuesday are going to be my best options. We will be limited to one vehicle so I really can't make the trip to Park City and will be looking to hit the trails around SLC so I can be dropped off and picked up.

I plan on calling around to several shops in the area to see what they have available for rentals, group rides, etc. Any other info or suggestions that you guys may have will be very helpful.

Oh yeah, I am coming from Wisconsin, so I hope to get a good workout on the trails as well. I do mainly cross country and ride an '07 hifi pro and would be looking to rent something similar....or possibly a Roscoe or EX series.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm from Bountiful and there is a sweet trail that you can ride to called Mueller park. It is a little busy but it is all shaded and great in the heat.

Code Burr
    When does the window close on the trails up there? My mom is begging me to come up.

Your Best Friend
    Last year we were able to ride dry amazing trails until the first few days of November. That is unusual though. I'd plan on early October being the last ridable dates and then be pleasantly surprised for any days beyond that.

Members who have read this thread: 0